Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread IXIIV: We want a backup goalie right meow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tbf those Tampa 1sts were going on guys with a cheap year remaining for two bites at the cherry, not just a rental.

And were still seen as an overpayment.

I think it is an overpayment. Just saying that is the type of add I’d be spending our 1st on versus a Palmieri or similar fringe top six guy who does nothing for us in the playoffs like always.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Weren't there rumours of him basically being an Orpik Arnold in the dressing room behind Horvat's back?

Miller might want out but hasn't publicized it. We'd likely find out if he was moved. I'd rather he stayed in the west. He's exactly the kind of player the Leafs need. Probably a better deal there if the Leafs part with one of their young D and a cap dump.

As for us, I'm just hoping for a solid veteran back up. Holtby would be interesting. He has a ton of experience and playoff experience to buffer Jarry. So if Dallas can't gain traction on a playoff spot in a week or two, I hope Hextall aims for that.

Holtby would also ease the insane workload on Jarry because Cdshit can't stop a beach ball.

Yeah, at this point Dallas looks cooked. And to me Holtby would basically be the perfect solution to our CdS problem if we can swing it.

1. The Stars probably have no qualms about selling. They have Oettinger for the future, and if Bishop is LTIRing, then suddenly a Holtby trade relieves their whole logjam in one move.

2. Holtby is coming from a tandem situation where he's splitting time with a youngster who is "the future" in net. With Jarry being the same guy here, the transition to this situation would be pretty easy for him to make. Especially if we decide to give him a higher percentage of starts in the second half to rest Jarrs a bit.

3. There is a potential pitfall with brining MAF back. He's a clear number 1. And then you add in the history with the Pens. To me, that's like telling Jarry "we need this guy back because he was part of the special sauce of those cup runs" and implying that he's the weak link. I think Jarry is made of stronger stuff than to lose all his confidence because of that, but I don't even want to RISK giving him the impression that the org doesn't believe in him to get it done. That's before we get into the obvious hoopla that would accompany a Fleury return.

4. Lastly, I think Holtby coming here would give him a jolt. I never despised him the way I did some other Caps, and I never thought their repeated playoff failures were necessarily his fault. His mentally weak team just couldn't get it done over and over, until they finally did. I think him coming into this locker room from the other side would reinvigorate him. And maybe make him want to show the Caps they were wrong to move on from him.

What are we thinking the cost would be? Is the situation of the Oilers/Colorado primed to make solid, proven starters like him and MAF cost a boatload at the TDL? If so, damn I wish we had've just rolled the dice on signing him in the summer.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it is an overpayment. Just saying that is the type of add I’d be spending our 1st on versus a Palmieri or similar fringe top six guy who does nothing for us in the playoffs like always.

I'd rather be poked in the eye with an expensive blunt stick rather than with an expensive sharp stick, but I generally prefer not getting poked in the eye.

I wish Zucker had actually been fit so we could properly assess whether we need to do anything on LW.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Depends on if Johnny Somedude has a head of the proper content to eventually attract Tom Wilson's elbow.

Sidenote: the idea of Holtby on the Pens to back up Jarry makes me unreasonably happy and I'll be inevitably devastated when it doesn't actually happen. For me, Holtby was always one of those "guys I like on teams I don't" kind of things, similar to how I hate Fleetwood Mac but somehow really like Tusk.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Depends on if Johnny Somedude has a head of the proper content to eventually attract Tom Wilson's elbow.

Sidenote: the idea of Holtby on the Pens to back up Jarry makes me unreasonably happy and I'll be inevitably devastated when it doesn't actually happy. For me, Holtby was always one of those "guys I like on teams I don't" kind of things, similar to how I hate Fleetwood Mac but somehow really like Tusk.

You should see Johnny Somedude's metrics. He's heading for a breakout year any year now.

As for the bolded... you, too?!?

Also also... I f***ing despise the Capitals but always did like Holtby.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Sidenote: the idea of Holtby on the Pens to back up Jarry makes me unreasonably happy and I'll be inevitably devastated when it doesn't actually happy. For me, Holtby was always one of those "guys I like on teams I don't" kind of things, similar to how I hate Fleetwood Mac but somehow really like Tusk.

We get Holtby. Caps get MAF. Seems logical.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Fleetwood Mac is much better as a social experiment than a band. They only exists because some anthropologist dared to ask "What happens if we lock 5 people who ****ing hate each other in a room for 6 months and only provide them instruments and blow?"

The answer seems to have been "lots of f***ing."

Oh and also some songs about being witchy or whatever I guess.

Sometimes my brain unintentionally smashes FM and The Eagles together into this giant amorphous blob of "bleh." Hey... so did Stevie Nicks, come to think of it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fleetwood Mac is much better as a social experiment than a band. They only exists because some anthropologist dared to ask "What happens if we lock 5 people who ****ing hate each other in a room for 6 months and only provide them instruments and blow?"

Tbf that gives them a ton of room to be a good band as that's an amazing social experiment.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Holtby’s vibe always seemed more Penguins than Capitals tbh.
It's why I like him for the role. He seems like he enjoys the mentor role. He's done it now with Demko and Oettinger. But won't make the playoffs with two teams in a row. But the Pens could give him that opportunity to support and do just that.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, at this point Dallas looks cooked. And to me Holtby would basically be the perfect solution to our CdS problem if we can swing it.

1. The Stars probably have no qualms about selling. They have Oettinger for the future, and if Bishop is LTIRing, then suddenly a Holtby trade relieves their whole logjam in one move.

2. Holtby is coming from a tandem situation where he's splitting time with a youngster who is "the future" in net. With Jarry being the same guy here, the transition to this situation would be pretty easy for him to make. Especially if we decide to give him a higher percentage of starts in the second half to rest Jarrs a bit.

3. There is a potential pitfall with brining MAF back. He's a clear number 1. And then you add in the history with the Pens. To me, that's like telling Jarry "we need this guy back because he was part of the special sauce of those cup runs" and implying that he's the weak link. I think Jarry is made of stronger stuff than to lose all his confidence because of that, but I don't even want to RISK giving him the impression that the org doesn't believe in him to get it done. That's before we get into the obvious hoopla that would accompany a Fleury return.

4. Lastly, I think Holtby coming here would give him a jolt. I never despised him the way I did some other Caps, and I never thought their repeated playoff failures were necessarily his fault. His mentally weak team just couldn't get it done over and over, until they finally did. I think him coming into this locker room from the other side would reinvigorate him. And maybe make him want to show the Caps they were wrong to move on from him.

What are we thinking the cost would be? Is the situation of the Oilers/Colorado primed to make solid, proven starters like him and MAF cost a boatload at the TDL? If so, damn I wish we had've just rolled the dice on signing him in the summer.
I love Holtby, if we could swing him under the cap that would be ideal

Reactions: Extra Texture

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
CDS did have covid issues and who knows what that did to his readiness. He has shown he can be a nice stop gap in the past so I give him a little slack here to get back to 100%. Play him after the Arizona game vs the kraken and if he struggles, then management knows he may not be the guy.
His struggles date back well before his Covid issues. The dude has been off since April 2021. It’s already been 9 months of crappy hockey, what’s two more, right?

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What about Subban with an intermediary to eat some cap space? He’s… not what he used to be.. but we don’t need him to be a top-pair point producer. We just need a right handed anchor for the 3rd pair. He’s always been a playoff performer.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel like it'd be easier for DeSmith to regain form in the AHL and I'd rather not wait much longer to have someone who can give Jarry a rest of longer than twenty minutes. Tbh, I'm completely on board with his logic here. Would any of us blinked if they'd done that with Domingue if he hadn't got injured? I don't think so. Well, why not get another Domingue at a very small price? It doesn't stop you from bringing DeSmith back should he regain form/go for Halak or Holtby. The only risk I see is DeSmith getting claimed on waivers and them not being able to source another back up at a fair price.
I didn't read the article. I don't like PHN. He's wrong too often and likes dying on hills, defending our worst players historically. Was a huge JJ supporter.
I just wanted to know the names in circulation, and they're underwhelming.

Anderson is the best of the 4. Excellent playoff numbers despite his advanced age, even last year. Strong level this year still. Problem is he's played 10 regular season games in 2 seasons. I don't trust him to be available when we need it, for as long as we need it.

I highly doubt that Hextall would grab 2 goalies between now and the deadline. Whoever he grabs we're stuck with, imo.

I still believe CDS can turn it around, but I don't think the organization should take that chance. With the chasm we've created in the standings, I would just play Casey on a day like tonight start to finish no matter what. If we lose then no biggie. This team isn't gonna miss the playoffs and whoever you draw first is a bitch of an opponent. So CDS can be played here and there until closer to the deadline when more teams become sellers with their goalies. At that point you spend what you need to to grab a veteran and put Casey on the taxi squad.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
So far, the only media prospects person to drop "I've talked to NHL people and this is an X draft" is Pronman, and he says below average. The prospects forum seems split between below average and fine. Only actual scouts to comment I've seen up there is McKeens, who thinks a bit weak, and HockeyProspect, who has it behind 2021 (which was seen as weak too).

How much that affects a late 1st's value is hard to say though. Nobody's said whether they see it as weak due to uncertainty at the top, or due to it being weak all the way through. There's a lot of chat about whether Shane Wright will still go 1OA, there's a consensus top 11 but nobody can decide what order they're in, but picks 20-31? Pass.

The insider speculation is buyers' market this year, but I'm not sure how it's different from last year when guys like Palmieri, Savard, Foligno, etc.etc. got 1sts.
seems like a good year for a gem to fall through the cracks.:nod:

Reactions: Peat

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
What about Subban with an intermediary to eat some cap space? He’s… not what he used to be.. but we don’t need him to be a top-pair point producer. We just need a right handed anchor for the 3rd pair. He’s always been a playoff performer.
There is no need for Subban. The Penguins need a defensive-minded guy back there, not a washed-up former No. 1.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad