Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread IXIIV: We want a backup goalie right meow

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's more that it's a conversation killer and like spitting on the person. Not to mention you're wasting their time.

Not sure what you expect from me here.

To answer the question? Or not. At this point, who cares? It's a message board, do whatever makes you happy, kiddo.

I feel like I'm reading Pan Tadeusz here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Whether or not this would/could happen is certainly very doubtful (just not really my concern since we are random fans on a forum, not actual GMs, and none of what we talk about on here is Real or Matters, we are all just doing a bunch of thought experiments) but I would argue that the logic of the team composition is absolutely sound. I think value is right on for MTL (maybe a tiny bit overpay) but getting rid of money is expensive as hell. Which is why I want them to try something creative to add but keep Zucker for a playoff run to see if his sh% regresses. Then they can sell him for a low level asset as opposed to paying to lose him this summer. The individual assets we move to MTL arent even that great if you look at it. Poulin and Legare are at like a 75% likelihood of being busts at this point if we're actually being honest. But their value to MTL would hopefully be somewhat artificially juiced a bit due to the Frenchie factor. Maybe take the pick from that trade and add it to the VAN one and make it a first. Was mainly just trying to outline the main pieces that should form the basis of the deal, pure value determination was secondary

All the Mike Matheson love on here now is so interesting. Penguins are very smart in placing decent players playing above their ability lower in the lineup and "fixing" them. Ceci, Schultz, etc, and now Matheson. If you think our usage is the main reason they are flourishing, as I do, then you would be very down with trying to move MM now when his value has been rehab'd a bit due to careful deployment. Does anyone actually trust him? He could continue along this trajectory... or he could start doing what he has his entire career up to this point and start randomly throwing grenades in front of his own net for no reason out of nowhere at a bad time. His mistakes from brain farts are not just the normal kind an offensive D man sometimes makes. They are so bad they look like he is trying to make his own team lose on purpose they are so bad. Whereas Petry is basically Letang-lite as of just last year and if he can get back to 50% of that hes so much better for us its not even funny. Hes a warrior and his stats and play style (as of last year, we are operating under the assumption here that many execs supposedly are also which is that his play tanking this year is just from things that would not be present if he came here, namely covid stuff/having to be The Guy/bad team/nothing to play for) are tailor made for this team. We would have two Letang-Dumo pairs basically. It could revolutionize our puck moving and help our forwards so much it would be crazy. Think like Colorado type stuff. Then we have an elite D corps we can feel comfortable with as an actual contender going into the playoffs and also have some Letang security. All that said, if you think Petry is actually what he has been this year and hes cooked I dont blame you for not wanting to take that risk. Perfectly valid to me. Idk I just think this is the sort of gamble that could pay off so well that we should take it. I think we need something like that to really put us over the top. I just look at our D as currently constituted and it gives me a little pause. Marino isnt strong enough for me right now. Need to acquire a D to replace him and sell high on him or find him a partner that changes his play significantly. Someone like Gio or Chiarot to handle strength battles at the net front, give him guidance, basically be the veteran leader of the pair. Marino just doesnt have the confidence to be his pair leader right now.

I’m not really sure how Poulin is 75% chance of bust now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad