Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: End of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ramen & frozen veggies. That was the house’s dinner when me & boys finished our road trip of the East Coast and finished in Banff.

We had money for accommodation & more importantly beer though 😂 . We didn’t eat properly until we got jobs but that was pretty quick turnaround.

Beans and brown rice was my cheap go-to for years.

Raman is basically like eating a brick of salt.

But yes it was all for the greater good. That being extra beer money.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It should be the end of the Sully era.

But those first round exits were obviously a fluke.

The worry is they sign him based on the first 34 games vs the 40+ of what he normally is after those 34.

I'd frankly move on from Rodrigues.

I'll be more blunt. I'll be pissed if they re-sign E-Rod. He's a perfect example of someone they need to let walk in order to retool the bottom six with a different kind of element to the roster.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is there a problem with this? The advantage of sodium killing me is I don't have to be old.

So long as it's shrimp flavor I'll cope with the health ramifications.

Besides... what do these nutritionists and health nuts know? If it were up to them we'd be miserable 24/7. No coffee... no snacks... no day beers. Can you imagine?!?

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll be more blunt. I'll be pissed if they re-sign E-Rod. He's a perfect example of someone they need to let walk in order to retool the bottom six with a different kind of element to the roster.
I'll be James Blunt.

Neither Rodrigues not Heinen are beautiful on this team for next season. It's true.

I'd be happy with a Zohorna, Carter, Kapanen third line.

Is there a problem with this? The advantage of sodium killing me is I don't have to be old.
Just drink a pint of beer mate, it'll sort itself out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't see Erod getting a big deal in FA from anybody but the truth is even a modest pay raise for him would be out of our price range if we're bringing back Malkin and Letang. Or if we're spending the equivalent dollars on Malkin/Letang elsewhere in FA.

Probably the same is true for Heinen. I think both guys have likely priced themselves out of Pittsburgh. We just can't really afford to be giving them 2-3 million a year and they may well get that in free agency. Even if both those guys are signing for like 2 mil/year that feels like too much for us. We're just right up against it if we sign Malkin and Letang, which I suspect we will.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't see Erod getting a big deal in FA from anybody but the truth is even a modest pay raise for him would be out of our price range if we're bringing back Malkin and Letang. Or if we're spending the equivalent dollars on Malkin/Letang elsewhere in FA.

Probably the same is true for Heinen. I think both guys have likely priced themselves out of Pittsburgh. We just can't really afford to be giving them 2-3 million a year and they may well get that in free agency. Even if both those guys are signing for like 2 mil/year that feels like too much for us. We're just right up against it if we sign Malkin and Letang, which I suspect we will.
Let Seattle give him a 3m/yr for 3yr deal.

Heinen can go piss off too.

Reactions: Victor Z and Pens x

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Damn Bro. Do you think Malkin wants 3/$21 or 3/$18. And do you think the Penguins are offering 3/$18 or 2/$14???????

Stay on topic!!!!!!!!

3/$18 and a lifetime supply of ………

1654744546776.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JR/Allvin - apparently kicked the tires on Marino earlier in the year..

If we can do Kapanen + Marino and a pick for JT Miller...maybe the + is the rights to Heinen, a local lad.

giphy.gif

Then you move Zucker and Dumoulin, don't sign Letang, sign Klingberg...

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like them both just fine but I don't want to pay them anything lol.
I think they're what we need to steer away from. Their the fodder we need less of. I'd rather sign Deslauriers over both of them.

Or even try to make a play for Carrier + Hague from the VGK.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Why don't we go cheap with a second line center and bring in a more elite second line winger than summer love Rackell. Then upgrade the center at some point down the line.

We could probably get a PPG winger!

That won't come close to getting it done for Miller.

Imagine living in the fantasy land some people here live in.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR/Allvin - apparently kicked the tires on Marino earlier in the year..

If we can do Kapanen + Marino and a pick for JT Miller...maybe the + is the rights to Heinen, a local lad.

giphy.gif

Then you move Zucker and Dumoulin, don't sign Letang, sign Klingberg...
You made Hextall’s head hurt with all of these moves.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
HFBoards is a magical place where some are still think Sully should still coach this team.

I could go either way. I don't think he's the issue but the results aren't there. I think the lineup needs to get younger.

Blaming Sullivan is a lazy and I don't think you have a clue why he has been unsuccessful via on ice systems.

I mean Sullivan wasn't the one who didn't shoot the puck on the power play when we needed a goal.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Option B with Malkin is signing a Trocheck or someone of that ilk and basically leaning into the identity the Penguins have followed when they've had success in the Regular Season the last 3 years:
The Sid line produces
Sully falls in love with a checking line
Our middle six plays uninspired stalemate hockey and chips in here and there

I can see it working at least in the RS at even-strength. But I have no idea how our powerplay would function. Sid is much better at ES and Guentzel, our other best ES forward, frankly doesn't know what he's doing on the PP.

Option B with Letang is going by-committee and getting a Petry, a Manson, etc. Probably means holding onto Dumo too. I'm VERY VERY dubious that a Penguins defense without Letang works anymore, but here's hoping we don't see that plan B coming to pass.
I think you underestimate just how frequent that formula is for successful teams around the league.

The key will be for Jeff Carter to not be playing a predominant role in anything but the checking line. Z-Carter-McGinn should be the 4th line.

The PP's issue are much more based on the egos of star players rather than the talent on the ice. I think that will only change once they are gone.

Reactions: ehill613

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
You really want to look down your nose at a 28-year-old point per game player?

If you get an elite winger, you can go the less expensive route at 2C.

This is a cap compliant roster with $376,000 in cap space. You can tweak it if guys get less or more AAV.

23$82,500,000$82,123,334$0$215,000$376,666

Roster​

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Pittsburgh Penguins

Guentzel, Jake
$6,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Pittsburgh Penguins

Crosby, Sidney
$8,700,000