Salary Cap: Penguins salary cap and line up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As @Randy Butternubs stated Dumo’ s contract is up after next season as well. The Pens’ D might look a lot different by next years TD. I’m pretty sure the management will mix it up, bring in a physical guy or two.

I have a way more faith in Hextall after today. He’s doing a heck of a job so far and not a sleeper for sure. The Pens’ future might be brighter than anybody was hoping for!

I'll believe in this team moving on from Dumo before they absolutely have to when I see it. The front office has shown little interest in those sort of moves and for all Dumo isn't quite the same player, he does too much to be replaced internally.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's wild that we didn't move an LD, but I'll take this deadline over anything we've had for the last 3 years.
Is it though?

You always want proven blueline depth in the playoffs, and there wasn't much to be gained from moving any of them now. It'll be nice to have another playoff run to evaluate our LDs before determining who to move too.

Reactions: Peat

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Most of you have GCR staying together and Rakell next to Malkin. While I agree that's what Sully will probably go with, it's not what should be.

Everyone from the TSN panel to Ducks posters all say that Rakell isn't good at creating on his own. He needs a playmaker. That's Sid, not Geno.
James Neal and Phil Kessel disagree.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Looking at the front office, Ryan Bowness looks to be the most qualified as the director of professional scouting. There's Craig Patrick, but he is definitely at the age where such responsibilities would be too strenuous.
Patrick is commissioner of that weird 3v3 league.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Most of you have GCR staying together and Rakell next to Malkin. While I agree that's what Sully will probably go with, it's not what should be.

Everyone from the TSN panel to Ducks posters all say that Rakell isn't good at creating on his own. He needs a playmaker. That's Sid, not Geno.
Rust works there. Trying to find another option with our top line at this stage is a waste and Rakell should be tried there. Because Rakell can shoot and all Geno needs is a bloke that can give and go and Rakell plays that style. Also Zucker is capable of carrying the puck up the ice as well as Geno being a playmaker himself.

Fedotenko, Talbot, Jokinen, Sykora, Neal, Kessel...they all benefitted from Malkin and his playmaking. This whole new toy goes to Sid bullshit needs to end.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man I still miss Neal. I saw him score a hat trick and five points in Columbus with Sid when Malkin was out. After the game, Neal was doing the post-game interview and Malkin came up behind him and acted upset that Neal did so well with Sid. It was awesome. I love Geno.

Was in the press box for that one!
From one of those athletic mailbag things, Yohe was asked about which player comes off as a pick and googled himself a ton and it was Neal. I think Yohe insulted him on Twitter once and Neal liked the comment. Neal is an odd duck but it is sad to see him be in the ahl now. He's lighting it up there as of recently so maybe he gets a shot in Stl later.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Malkin has always been awesome with guys who can finish.

He’s been awesome with guys that can’t too.

Hell Blake Comeau was on his way out of the league before his career got extended by about a decade because he had an ok shot and got to play 50ish games on Malkin’s wing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin has always been awesome with guys who can finish.

He’s been awesome with guys that can’t too.
Yeah and we finally have a good mix of wingers, so much depth and I'd hate for Sullivan to double down on his dumb usage when he finally has immense quality on the wings again.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust - doing its thing offensively is needed.
Zucker, Malkin, Rakell - this needs opportunity to grow and we have 19 games to do so.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1647908316748.png

Sort of a mixed bag. Think people are getting sucked into recency bias a bit with this combination. If Kap continues in this current vein then, for sure, keep them together. But I don't see Carter as the only guy he can work with if they got separated.

Like I said, Kap's output is largely in his control. That's how his playstyle works. His stats will improve or fall based on his commitment level, regardless of who he's playing with.
For me I think we're better off if Kap gets going and Zucker is pushed out of the top 6, but maybe Zuck will be better when he returns. I guess it's possible...

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
View attachment 519703

Sort of a mixed bag. Think people are getting sucked into recency bias a bit with this combination. If Kap continues in this current vein then, for sure, keep them together. But I don't see Carter as the only guy he can work with if they got separated.

Like I said, Kap's output is largely in his control. That's how his playstyle works. His stats will improve or fall based on his commitment level, regardless of who he's playing with.
For me I think we're better off if Kap gets going and Zucker is pushed out of the top 6, but maybe Zuck will be better when he returns. I guess it's possible...

The more every deadline passes the more I realize how these analytics really don’t show much. I saw a chart that said Dadonov was a great finisher.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
View attachment 519703

You want to know why I keep Kapanen with Carter, of whom he's showing chemistry with lately?

Kasperi Kapanen on Jeff Carter:
A few nights earlier in Nashville, Kapanen was denied on a breakaway and had to be settled down by Carter on the bench.

Kapanen acknowledged after this game that Carter’s display of leadership was a big deal to him.

“He’s always taking care of me,” Kapanen said. “When I’m down, he picks me up. For a guy like me, who’s been struggling … I’ve been getting so many chances and the puck hasn’t been bouncing in for me. We had a moment there.”

So why would this team f*** that up just to shoehorn Kapanen back with Malkin? We now have Rakell and don't need to push that right now.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Is it though?

You always want proven blueline depth in the playoffs, and there wasn't much to be gained from moving any of them now. It'll be nice to have another playoff run to evaluate our LDs before determining who to move too.

I think in the end, Anaheim didn't want Petts back. They would rather roll with Clang + 2nd.

If we had the chance to trade POJ and instead traded Clang + 2nd...well I probably agree with that too. Though I think POJ and Clang/2nd are = in value.

Reactions: Hamurai

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah and we finally have a good mix of wingers, so much depth and I'd hate for Sullivan to double down on his dumb usage when he finally has immense quality on the wings again.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust - doing its thing offensively is needed.
Zucker, Malkin, Rakell - this needs opportunity to grow and we have 19 games to do so.
As much as sometimes I get tired of the "It's not fair that Geno always has to play second fiddle to Sid" arguments we see from time to time, I do think it's too late in the season to mess with Sid's line, so yeah, giving Rakell and Malkin time to find some chemistry is the best move.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Rust works there. Trying to find another option with our top line at this stage is a waste and Rakell should be tried there. Because Rakell can shoot and all Geno needs is a bloke that can give and go and Rakell plays that style. Also Zucker is capable of carrying the puck up the ice as well as Geno being a playmaker himself.

Fedotenko, Talbot, Jokinen, Sykora, Neal, Kessel...they all benefitted from Malkin and his playmaking. This whole new toy goes to Sid bullshit needs to end.
The new toys always end up with Geno though. Jake and Rust were brought up within the organization.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree with the premise that Kapanen working is mainly about Kapanen and his confidence and application, and that he's not some great natural fit with Carter, but if he is feeling confident while with Carter I don't see any reason to screw with that anytime soon.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Kapanen isn't a great natural fit with Geno either. He just got hot for a stretch.

To be honest Kapanen isn't a "chemistry" player. He's a guy whose best asset is as a deep ball threat. Just be aware that the deep ball is an option with Kappy on the ice. Boom you're maximizing Kappy.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
All things considered, this is the best group of forwards I think the Pens have had since the back to back runs. In a healthy lineup, your 4th line is Brock McGinn, Teddy Blueger, and Evan Rodrigues. Even Boyle, as the 13th forward, has been pretty good in a limited role. This is a team where every forward can score. We've been missing that element for a while now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The new toys always end up with Geno though. Jake and Rust were brought up within the organization.
Jake spent a spell on Cullen's line and then mostly with Sid since then, the only time Jake ever spent more than 10 games with any other C is when Crosby was hurt and he played with Malkin.

When we got Neal, Sid had Dupuis and Kunitz.

So no, it doesn't always end up being new shiny toys with Sid. The issue is they get wingers that would work with Sid to work with Malkin and then throw their hands up wondering why it failed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As much as sometimes I get tired of the "It's not fair that Geno always has to play second fiddle to Sid" arguments we see from time to time, I do think it's too late in the season to mess with Sid's line, so yeah, giving Rakell and Malkin time to find some chemistry is the best move.
The thing is, it was reported by a lot of Pens writers that the Penguins were specifically looking for a winger to play with Malkin for the TDL. So to get Rakell to move him to Sid's line and put Rust with Geno doesn't really fit that narrative they were putting out there.

Reactions: Allie Kitsune

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
So are we calling up DOC and Puustinen? I'm pretty sure we only have 21 players right now, so we have room for the both of them.

If Rakell is primarily a RW then I'd move Rust back to Sid's line.

Guentzel - Sid - Rust
DOC - Geno - Rakell
Heinen - Carter - Puustinen/Kapanen
Zohorna/Zucker - Blueger - McGinn

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You want to know why I keep Kapanen with Carter, of whom he's showing chemistry with lately?

So why would this team f*** that up just to shoehorn Kapanen back with Malkin? We now have Rakell and don't need to push that right now.

Kap is a good player having an awful season (still games to go) But that last game Zucker played with Kap and Malkin, that line looked unstoppable. Sucked that Zucker only played one game and then had IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad