Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Brian Gibbons from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They're only doing it because Kobasew was so laughably bad that they simply couldn't justify his existence anymore.

Yes, we know they give vets a long rope. I'm not sure what the current complaint is. The speedy young guys that people want to play are playing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I bet you do, freak

I like him, but still have concerns over how easy he's pushed off the puck and his inability to fight through traffic

I like him and hope there are no spots available for him by the trade deadline unless we somehow see a completely retooled speed/skill 4th line.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Kobasew just played over Megna and is the co-#2 choice for Sid's RW, tied with Tanner Glass.

I'm just giving Bylsma credit for playing Megna and Gibbons the majority of the time. He obviously has no clue how to manage in game ice time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm just giving Bylsma credit for playing Megna and Gibbons the majority of the time. He obviously has no clue how to manage in game ice time.

This is the impression I get of Dan Bylsma during games
137896060210.jpg

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I bet you do, freak

I like him, but still have concerns over how easy he's pushed off the puck and his inability to fight through traffic

Put him on the 3rd line with Sutter and Megna, and give that line the MO of speed, speed, speed. He won't have to fight through as much traffic when defenders are turning around, and getting confused with people coming at them so fast. Then leave the 4th line to be the **** stirrers and bangers with Z-Vitale-Engelland.

I guess this is all going to be moot anyway though soon enough when Bennett gets back, and we hopefully make a trade.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
This is the impression I get of Dan Bylsma during games
137896060210.jpg

That Dog looks far smarter and by the way who is dressing Bylsma these days? Some of these suits he wears :shakehead not to mention at least one collar is sticking out of his suit making him look like he is ready to be adopted now.:D

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'll give them credit for that, but it's not like they have much of a choice either given the alternatives.

He had a choice. He could've played Ebbett or Kobasew.

He's playing Megna and Gibbons. Took longer than people wanted to play the kids, but that's the case virtually everywhere.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He had a choice. He could've played Ebbett or Kobasew.

He's playing Megna and Gibbons. Took longer than people wanted to play the kids, but that's the case virtually everywhere.

That's kinda my point. Ebbett is AHL fodder, and had been this season until the injuries occurred. Gibbons and Megna were both called up before him, and Ebbett has done nothing in his limited action for even Bylsma to play him.

As for Kobasew, he's been given tons of rope and even extended time with Crosby without any results. Even Bylsma can't play him forever. Then Gibbons and Megna came in and actually did produce.

So that's why I say he has little choice. I gave him credit didn't I? Can't you be happy for a small victory? :laugh:

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
That's kinda my point. Ebbett is AHL fodder, and had been this season until the injuries occurred. Gibbons and Megna were both called up before him, and Ebbett has done nothing in his limited action for even Bylsma to play him.

As for Kobasew, he's been given tons of rope and even extended time with Crosby without any results. Even Bylsma can't play him forever. Then Gibbons and Megna came in and actually did produce.

So that's why I say he has little choice. I gave him credit didn't I? Can't you be happy for a small victory? :laugh:

His next test is coming soon.....Chris Conner should be back soon, no?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't understand the "little choice" argument. If there were established vets who were playing well, what would be the incentive for any coach to play unproven rookies over them?

The point is that there are vet options, man. He's recognized that they aren't the best ones.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't understand the "little choice" argument. If there were established vets who were playing well, what would be the incentive for any coach to play unproven rookies over them?

The point is that there are vet options, man. He's recognized that they aren't the best ones.

I think this is true, and it's perfectly normal for young guys to play and sit, play and sit a little bit, as they are establishing themselves. More recently, on top of that, I'm sure DB was trying spread the love around on the mom's trip and guys like Ebbett & Kobasew got in for a game; and also Megna is still getting used to being back in the NHL after being out for so long with an injury, just when he started to look like he was getting comfortable.

But I think as we saw the other night against Buffalo, Gibbons and Megna are the better options, and hopefully will use the the remaining games after the Olympics to get more comfortable and established as NHLers.

My guess is that the 3 of Bennett, Gibbons and Megna will all push for different roles in the top 9. If BB comes back AND we make a trade for a forward, I could see Gibbons going back to WBS so he can play. But if we don't end up making that trade, then I see these 3 battling it out, and that internal competition will be good for them and the team.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
To be fair, Kobasew can do things Gibbons can't, like get on roller coasters.

Ha. It is funny how tiny he looks out there. Honestly, looking at him the other night, he even looked A LOT smaller than Tyler Ennis. I wonder if even the 5'8 he's listed at is a stretch.

That said: his speed is pretty freakin unbelievable. He makes Pascal Dupuis look slow. I know he hasn't shown the grit-factor yet (and I think Archibald will ultimately be better to fit this role), but if he could bring a bit of what guys like Marchand or Gallagher can provide to this team, that would be a welcome thing.

Looking further down the road: a line with Gibbons--Vitale--Marcantuoni could be an absolutely NIGHTMARE for opposing teams, and he could end up being gold on the PK.

But I do expect his offensive game will get a lot better. I wonder if we could end up having a (very) poor man's Theo Fleury on our hands. I'm definitely intrigued by this player and his potential.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Gibbons has very good vision, top 6 vision for sure. He's got a polished set of passes too.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ha. It is funny how tiny he looks out there. Honestly, looking at him the other night, he even looked A LOT smaller than Tyler Ennis. I wonder if even the 5'8 he's listed at is a stretch.

That said: his speed is pretty freakin unbelievable. He makes Pascal Dupuis look slow. I know he hasn't shown the grit-factor yet (and I think Archibald will ultimately be better to fit this role), but if he could bring a bit of what guys like Marchand or Gallagher can provide to this team, that would be a welcome thing.

Looking further down the road: a line with Gibbons--Vitale--Marcantuoni could be an absolutely NIGHTMARE for opposing teams, and he could end up being gold on the PK.

But I do expect his offensive game will get a lot better. I wonder if we could end up having a (very) poor man's Theo Fleury on our hands. I'm definitely intrigued by this player and his potential.

He was gold on the PK in WBS, that's for sure. He had a lot of opposing point men throwing random, sloppy passes to no one because he was pressuring them with his speed. He was also a consistent threat to score shorthanded, something the Pens are sorely lacking.

His overall game has really come a long way, I thought he'd found more of a niche as a roleplayer last season by focusing on his defense and penalty killing, and then bang, he comes out this season flying offensively.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I wonder if his lack of finish so far in the big league is just luck or timing or what. He gets good chances most games and he definitely keeps the D on his side of the ice honest in our defensive zone. That's a big plus with Sid or Geno on the ice hounding guys. If he can start putting away his chances he'll be a 20-40 kind of guy on the upside.

And yeah, I'd LOVE to see Gibbons and Megan given a shot on the PK and rotate Adams right out of the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad