Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Brian Gibbons from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I completely understand the issue about not trading a UFA, but who knows how many teams were out who were willing to commit 4 years to Scuds. Probably a few, but not a lot, and I don't believe Scuds took much, if any, of a pay cut to come here. So Shero may have done as much a favour for Scuds as he did for us by giving him the security of 4 years. And as we saw the Z. Michalek trade, and Shero almost pulling the trigger on a Paul Martin trade (if Martin didn't convince him otherwise), Shero is not shy to do this if it needs to be done. And yes: it looks especially bad if you trade someone in or after year 1 of a contract, but after year 2 or beyond, it's completely fair game and it's just part of the business.

Also, reality dictates that we've got at least 2 highly regarded prospects who HAVE TO come to the NHL without facing waivers (Despres, and then Dumoulin) over the next 2 years. Another year later, Harringon will be in that same boat. Add that to Letang, Maatta and Bortuzzo, and that's 6 Dmen right there before Scuds, and that's not even factoring in if we re-sign or extend Orpik. So if Shero has to make room by moving Scuds out for these young guys that we couldn't possibly risk losing on waivers, no one would blame or look badly upon him if he needed to pull the trigger on such a trade for Scuderi.

I doubt Scuderi gets traded. Seemed like a retirement type deal, to be honest.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I doubt Scuderi gets traded. Seemed like a retirement type deal, to be honest.

Yeah, I agree with this.

I'd love to buy what you're selling, jmelm... it makes complete sense. But I think Shero's loyalty will supersede his judgement on this one.

Scuderi should come around a little bit, anyway. But I'm not at all impressed with early indications.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I agree with this.

I'd love to buy what you're selling, jmelm... it makes complete sense. But I think Shero's loyalty will supersede his judgement on this one.

Scuderi should come around a little bit, anyway. But I'm not at all impressed with early indications.

Yes, but then what happens in year 4 of his contract when we've got Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Maatta, Bortuzzo and Letang (that's 6 guys right there), plus Pouliot having spend 2 years in the AHL and possibly being ready, other guys we may have around like Samuelsson or Ruopp, and that's not even counting if we possibly be retain guys like Niskanen and/or Martin. It's just simple math, and it doesn't make sense to pay our 6th or 7th Dman $3.4 million.

I know it may not be an easy sell to the Scuderi, but he doesn't have a full NTC for a reason, and we should use that if we have the chance. So unless we trade one or more of those other players, and/or re-sign neither Martin or Niskanen (which would be a mistake, IMO), then I don't see a spot for Scuderi beyond year 3 of his contract at the latest. And if he's playing pretty well but not necessarily better than some of those young guys, we should take advantage of the opportunity of moving him for assets, and replacing him with one of our young guys who will better develop by playing, and saving cap space in the process.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yes, but then what happens in year 4 of his contract when we've got Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Maatta, Bortuzzo and Letang (that's 6 guys right there), plus Pouliot having spend 2 years in the AHL and possibly being ready, other guys we may have around like Samuelsson or Ruopp, and that's not even counting if we possibly be retain guys like Niskanen and/or Martin. It's just simple math, and it doesn't make sense to pay our 6th or 7th Dman $3.4 million.

I know it may not be an easy sell to the Scuderi, but he doesn't have a full NTC for a reason, and we should use that if we have the chance. So unless we trade one or more of those other players, and/or re-sign neither Martin or Niskanen (which would be a mistake, IMO), then I don't see a spot for Scuderi beyond year 3 of his contract at the latest. And if he's playing pretty well but not necessarily better than some of those young guys, we should take advantage of the opportunity of moving him for assets, and replacing him with one of our young guys who will better develop by playing, and saving cap space in the process.

I'am beginning to question if Dumoulin is going to make it as a Pen. Bortuzzo is a free agent in 2 years, what do you think the chances are he bolts?

I imagine we resign Martin at say 2x6, coming this summer.

I am still holding out hope Shero is not as stubbornly loyal as many folks on here imply, but I am starting to worry. There's no room for Scuderi in year 4 even with a few guys moving on. But what if Shero really is that bad a GM that he won't move Cup guys on anymore....

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

To start, there is no guarantee that any of those guys (save Maatta, obviously) either make it or are in this team's plans too far beyond this season. Especially Despres and Bortuzzo, IMO.

Also... what would happen to them is potentially the same thing that has already happened to the likes of Joe Morrow (and to a much lesser degree Strait) and currently Simon Despres. The team obviously favors veterans. And they seem fiercely loyal to their free agent signings. Even Z was traded on his terms. Add in the fact that it's organizational-favorite, "The Piece," "mistake-to-let-him-go" Rob Scuderi... and I think that's a retirement deal.

He'll likely be the Craig Adams of this team's defense in a few years.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
To start, there is no guarantee that any of those guys (save Maatta, obviously) either make it or are in this team's plans too far beyond this season. Especially Despres and Bortuzzo, IMO.

Also... what would happen to them is potentially the same thing that has already happened to the likes of Joe Morrow (and to a much lesser degree Strait) and currently Simon Despres. The team obviously favors veterans. And they seem fiercely loyal to their free agent signings. Even Z was traded on his terms. Add in the fact that it's organizational-favorite, "The Piece," "mistake-to-let-him-go" Rob Scuderi... and I think that's a retirement deal.

He'll likely be the Craig Adams of this team's defense in a few years.

He already is...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We are venturing in trade talk and way off topic. Let's close this down and move it to the speculation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad