Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Letang to six-year, $36.6m deal

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Looking at Letang's $6.1 million AAV is still just mind boggling to me.

He makes like $1.2 million more than Matheson does.

I mean Matheson was overpaid from day 1 of that contract.....but I agree to the premise. It's a ridiculous cap hit and tells me that he wants to win AND is comfortable in Pittsburgh. Friends / family etc.

Fenrir009

May 2, 2018
Will Letang still be playing in 6 years?:confused:

I don't see the long-term benefit of keeping this aging core together.

Reactions: farscape1

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Very good signing, both term and cap hit. Letang even at 40 will be worth 6.1.

zBfJFFL.gif

• Haha
Reactions: farscape1

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Legitimately blown away the team got him down to $6.1 million AAV. He'll either be LTIRetired for the final year or two, or he'll just be a guy helping to reach cap floor when the team's in the dumpster.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Absolutely, many teams aptly compete, go far in the playoffs and win cups when their key players are 36 years old, Happens all the time, Lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whether or not the Pens re-signed Letang or Malkin, I don't think the chances were good for them to win the Cup in the next 3 years. However, with Crosby and Guentzel, I also didn't think the chances were good that they'd be getting a high draft pick, either. I would argue that their chances of winning the Cup again are higher with Letang and Malkin than without.
So, for the next three years, the options are basically:
1. Keep Letang and Malkin, which keeps a large segment of the fanbase happy and paying to come to games, and take a chance on getting another Cup, or at least potentially some longer runs.
2. Let them go, and likely only barely squeak into the playoffs, thus still getting a bottom-half of the draft pick, while losing more fans, and still going out early.

I don't see the Pens realistically doing either of the following in the next 3 years:
1. Re-tool in a way that makes them true Cup Contenders - there's no real framework for that to be the case at this point.
2. Tearing it all down and tanking to high draft picks, thus allowing for a short rebuild and return to Cup contention; I don't think Crosby will really let that happen, and there's no guarantee of a quick turnaround even if they do - those high draft picks might turn out to be Yakupovs and Stefans, after all.

The team is still built around Crosby. There's no true rebuild until that's no longer the case. And when that's no longer the case, it's going to be painful, pretty much no matter what.

So if he retires what happens?

Are we only free of cap penalty if it's an injury/condition like Hossa?

What if he bailed after next year?
If he retires, the Pens are on the hook for the full cap hit. But Letang gets none of the money for those remaining years. So there's a definite financial incentive for Letang to go the LTIR right, similar to Hossa, if he decides he's done before the contract is up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lol at the boomers mad that the team is getting old and irrelevant, like them.

What I am wondering from the feet-stamping crowd is what THEIR plan would be?

I just keep hearing "blow it up" like that's ever going to be a thing with Sid flippin' Crosby on the team. "Go out and rebuild the team" -- with what? How? Free agency isn't like you're the only player in the game and you can just take your little wishlist to the player store and buy all the best ones at whatever the pricetag says.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I just keep hearing "blow it up" like that's ever going to be a thing with Sid flippin' Crosby on the team. "Go out and rebuild the team" -- with what? How? Free agency isn't like you're the only player in the game and you can just take your little wishlist to the player store and buy all the best ones at whatever the pricetag says.
I mean blowing it up makes zero sense when you keep a coach that would still find ways to use vets over youth. So if you have an absolute wanker of a coach that is rocking a hard on for vets all the time and you have an ownership that adores him, all you will get is vets.

For me the issue is there's only one D that works with Letang and it's Dumoulin and Dumoulin has sucked hard for 2 seasons now. So if they're going to keep him too, nothing will progress. Just a bunch of blokes happy to see Letang back but don't see the bigger picture of issues.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

i mean the GM can’t even trade the overpaid deadweight contracts on this team and they expect him to ace a rebuild? Lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean blowing it up makes zero sense when you keep a coach that would still find ways to use vets over youth. So if you have an absolute wanker of a coach that is rocking a hard on for vets all the time and you have an ownership that adores him, all you will get is vets.

For me the issue is there's only one D that works with Letang and it's Dumoulin and Dumoulin has sucked hard for 2 seasons now. So if they're going to keep him too, nothing will progress. Just a bunch of blokes happy to see Letang back but don't see the bigger picture of issues.

I'm pretty much just resigned to Sullivan at this point. I think it's kind of crazy that the guy is still sitting pretty after four years of sweeps, 3-1 blown leads and otherwise rather inglorious first round exits but there it is.

I'm wary re: Dumo, too. But I think another passable partner could be found for him if they are willing to make some changes on their backend.

i mean the GM can’t even trade the overpaid deadweight contracts on this team and they expect him to ace a rebuild? Lol

Right. For good or ill Hex is a patient, measured guy. Do we really see him making massive sweeping changes to vastly change the landscape of this team? I mean aside from lowballing Malkin and shrugging?

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dumo's cooked. Injuries took away most of the dude's only physical attribute; skating. Sooner he's gone, the better.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It sounds like Letang's deal is going to be structured similar to Rust's. Front loaded on salary and little to no trade protection the last couple of years. Makes it attractive to whatever bottom feeder will need to get to the floor at that point where they save actual dollars vs cap hit. Again, FSG is showing they will pay up now to get stuff done when all the Massholes told us to expect penny pinching.

Clearly the plan is to get the most cap space possible right now and go all in the next 2-3 years and then nuke the whole thing. I dig it.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Letang's Contract I had a Drs. Appt. checkup so I don't know if anyone put this up 8, 8, 6.2, 4.8, 4.8, 4.8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad