Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Letang to six-year, $36.6m deal

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I was ok with a 7-7.5 x 5yr deal....so I'll take the extra year and cap savings all day.

As unlikely as us winning again is, Letang is the most irreplaceable guy at this point. His fitness will keep him at current levels for another 2-3 years. Even later he will probably still be a 2nd pairing Dman I believe...Ideally someone like Marino would offload some minutes from Letang.

Some players keep playing at a high level into their 40s. Letangs a guy I'd bet on just like I would Sid. They take extremely good care of themselves.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I love the signing. Absolutely love it.

Great cap flexibility, and if you look at the other contracts signed this year around this same AAV Letang is clearly the most important player to his team. The team needs immediate flexibility to compete as strongly as possible as early as possible.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
One of Zucker, Pettersson, or Dumoulin would have to go in order to make room for Trocheck.
If some second or third rounders as a bribes for Zuck or Petts is the only thing standing in the way of:

Guentzel---Crosby----Rust
Rackell---Trocheck---Malkin

then screw it it, get it done and for the next two years buckle up, baby. If we assume Rack @ 4.5 and Trocheck @ 5.5 (as Empoleon theorized), and taken Malkin @6, we've gotta take advantage of these sweetheart deals and go for broke.

Lowball Kapanen (or trade him), bring back Heinen, bring back Boyle for peanuts, wave goodbye to ERod, and platoon Friedman/POJ on the third pair. I think the above works financially if its Zucker that we dump. If its Petts, then Kapanen probably has to go with him. Which, maybe if we staple the two of them together, we might actually be able to eeke out positive value.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Good signing...though 6 years is a lot given he will still expect to be played 45 minutes a night at 41...regardless of results...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
People love to use Jfresh's cards to support their narrative but the minute they don't do that it's oh these cards actually don't tell the full story.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'll be honest, Jfresh's cards are kind of like some sort of weird tarot cards IMO. I don't get how they're really indicative of anything, but I like that he takes the time to do it.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Letang’s career numbers
GP: 941
G: 144
A: 506
P: 650

GPG rate, career: 0.15
APG rate, career: 0.54
PPG rate, career: 0.69

After his six-year contract, what do you expect his career stats to be?

He’d have to average 58 point & change each year to hit 1,000 points, and he’d have to average 9.3 goals a year to hit 200. Should be a fun exercise, given the many variables at play here.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad