Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Letang to six-year, $36.6m deal

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Was just going to say this. Kris did get a raise in actual salary for the first part of the contract.
I don't get your math. In the aggregate the AAV is what the AAV is, and the Pens can't walk away from a 35+ deal absent LTIR, retirement prior to the conclusion of year 6 is irrelevant, so we got a good deal and Letang took a pay cut. My OP must have been poorly worded as it seems to be interpreted as a criticism of Rossi when instead was intended as complimentary of the deal.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I resent that. I am old, irrelevant, and even a f***ing boomer (by 11 days), but I'm happy as shit, even when sober, and my companion is closer by years to Millennial to boomer, so there's that! Don't bring me down!
My dude, with all due respect and seriousness... boomer is a state of mind.

Now, let us shake our fists at the passing of time. :laugh:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Mon dieu! Donner un char de marde!
a8810ffd-d0a5-4347-b204-fdc9165ab682_text.gif

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Letang is a dumb idiot who does more harm than good, and we will regret this deal multiple times in the next 6 years.

It's a sad, sad day...

There’s no way they aren’t keeping Malkin with Letangs cap hit going down by a mil and a half.

I’m glad they’re going this route. Malkin and Letang making a combined 12 million instead of 17 is great.

And give the on ice value of maximum 6 mil between the two. Gigantic overpayment.

Not a huge fan of 6 years but that 6 million cap hit will be huge in trying to get one last run out of this core.
Not gonna happen. These "superstars" are washed out and unmotivated. This core is done, the next 6 years will be just wasted.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Wow. I just cannot believe the hit is that low. Outstanding work.

Penguin for life or not, Letang can write his own ticket at the end. But leaving some money on the table to help us compete in the next 2-3 years is invaluable.

Somehow I see him being another Duncan Keith-type deal at the end of his Penguin career, where he gets moved to a young team on the rise. But either way, very glad he's staying.

The most we will compete for is getting KP'ed in embarrassing fashion in the 1st round. These "superstars" don't have any compete and drive left in them. All they want is to collect their paychecks and relax.

• Wow
Reactions: Factorial

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Letang is a dumb idiot who does more harm than good, and we will regret this deal multiple times in the next 6 years.

It's a sad, sad day...

And give the on ice value of maximum 6 mil between the two. Gigantic overpayment.

Not gonna happen. These "superstars" are washed out and unmotivated. This core is done, the next 6 years will be just wasted.
I was hoping to atleast maybe see another playoff series win in my lifetime but looks like the Pens only care about those 2-3 playoff home games money each year instead of trying to improve. This Pens team is going to be very bad for a very very long time since we keep putting off the rebuild.

• Love
Reactions: Angrrus and Pens x

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Will Letang still be playing in 6 years?:confused:

I don't see the long-term benefit of keeping this aging core together.

It allows them to compete while they still can and when they can't it will take 5 years, at least, to rebuild anyways. If the legs start falling off of the older players we'll stink and that's how you rebuild. That's my thought.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I haven't been following the latest: what did Rossi get right? The last I remember seeing from him was a couple of months ago when he "guaranteed" Letang was gone if the Pens were bounced in the first round.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's a really good deal, and with it being front loaded, if they need to get rid of him years 4.8, they can absolutely do that (with his approval, of course).

Meaning he's protecting himself? I don't know the rule for this...

Full cap hit would stay with the Pens if they bought him out.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
This contract is gonna age extremely bad but easy to see they are just worried about another run or 2 with this core.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
People complain about the term, but it's needed to keep the AAV down.

He'll be 41 when his contract expires. It's not fair to compare others to Crosby, but Letang is probably the only other person on the team that I'd trust to not be a disaster in their late 30's, early 40's given his commitment to conditioning.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Six million per year?

That is dirt cheap. Yes, the term may be an issue at the end with him 41 years old but by that time the Pens will be will into a rebuild anyways.

Great job.

I love Hextall as GM.
All he’s done is simply re-sign players. You should love Letang and Rust for willing to take discounts.

He needs to do more than simply bring back the whole gang. We need second line wingers, and he needs to unload a D to sign some.

I’m not sure how you can live him yet…He still has a lot to do. Re-signing DeSmith was an incredibly lazy decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad