Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Justin Schultz (3 years, $16.5M | $5.5M AAV)

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
I'm fine with the deal.... I thought he'd be asking for 5-6 games at $5+ million a year.... and if he was unrestricted, he probably could have gotten that, if not more..... he got an AAV of what he deserved/earned

its nice to officially have him locked up.... he's Letang insurance, he SHOULD be on the top PP, and gives the Penguins a legit 1-2 punch on the blueline with puck moving defensemen.... the Penguins should have either Letang or Schultz on the ice at least 2/3 of the time in even strength play, and thats nice

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
This deal won't be as good unless Schultz gets PP1 time. Letangs minutes should be cut back to PP 2 and PK 2 time, hopefully Schultz remains the D on PP1.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
I think this is a fair deal for both Schultz and the Pens, but both parties missed an extremely easy slam dunk win/win contract. It's extremely low risk for each, but nobody benefits all that much. Schultz doesn't get term, so he loses the comfort of being set where he is happy. The Pens don't get term so they don't lock their guy long term and they overpay by 500k to keep it low term. Schultz loves the Pens. Schultz fits the Pens. It just seemed like a match made in heaven to do something like 6 x 4.5-5 so it would really benefit the Pens down the road and give Schultz his comfort.

It's a fair deal, but I feel both #4 and the Pens missed an easy opportunity to make this easier.

I completely agree.. 5x5 would have been better than 3x5.5 for everyone.

I did contact work for many years, and *usually* the longer I could stay at a location the better. Moving around was always a pain in the ***.

So I'm sort of curious why either side would go for just 3 years..

O-well, glad he'll be around. Good D-men seem to be tough to find atm.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
This deal screams to me that Schultz is after the money and will leave to the highest bidder as soon he hits UFA.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
McDavid will be signing for 13m+...if the Toews/Kane contracts raised by the bar a bit, that one will raise it significantly more. This is what you have to pay a player of Schultz's caliber these days. I would like a little more term if they could have brought down the AAV at all, but who knows what Schultz's people were asking for.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
Did you miss last year when he played for peanuts?

that wasnt by choice.... there was minimal interest in him around the league when he was a free agent.... he took gamble on himself so he could make more money

otherwise, if he wanted the security, he probably would have gotten like a 3 year/$6 million deal at best.... although I'm not sure anyone was going to give him 3 years

the bottom line.... him taking no money last year wasnt a sacrifice on his part for the good of the team..... it was because no one was willing to pay him more

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If that was his goal he'd have signed a 1 year deal.

Or just left when he was technically a UFA last summer.

He took a major discount to stay in Pittsburgh last season, so I don't get the expectation that he owed us a discount on this contract. He signed a 'show me' deal and proceeded to score 51 points while collecting another ring, consider me sufficiently shown.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
This deal screams to me that Schultz is after the money and will leave to the highest bidder as soon he hits UFA.

I somewhat agree, but you know what that's ok. The short term bugged me a bit at first but our best window to win is right now while the core is in their primes. In 3 years from now we'll definitely need to retool anyways.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Or just left when he was technically a UFA last summer.

He took a major discount to stay in Pittsburgh last season, so I don't get the expectation that he owed us a discount on this contract. He signed a 'show me' deal and proceeded to score 51 points while collecting another ring, consider me sufficiently shown.
Yup. On top of that, I think it's important for people to recognize the guy played through the final seven games of the playoffs with busted ribs, still managing to get enough on a couple of top-of-the-zone wristers to score twice. Picked up the primary assist on the Cup-winner as a bonus.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
A little expensive.Thought 4.5~5m could get it done, but I guess points are points and it's only 3 years. Hope his play reaches another level next season.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think when the other GMs handed out the deals they did any chance hed come in under 5 went out the door.. basically the guy had simular production to shattenkirk with less pp time..

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Had an excellent season and so-so playoffs. But JS is a needed insurance policy with the ever concerning health of Letang. It's a fair deal for what he brings to the table IMO

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Had an excellent season and so-so playoffs. But JS is a needed insurance policy with the ever concerning health of Letang. It's a fair deal for what he brings to the table IMO

Dude scored two huge goals for us against Nashville with a broken rib. He passes in my book.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If he would have signed for 1 more year at $500k less per year, I don't think anyone would complain about the contract.

Indeed. Hard to say there is a discount there, and you worry about Dumo's numbers a bit after this.

Its a bit iffy with how long (short) Schultz has looked legit, but if this is our 'worst' contract, that's certainly not bad if he is anything like the last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad