Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Justin Schultz (3 years, $16.5M | $5.5M AAV)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not thrilled about the contract, was hoping for about 1mil less, but with the numbers he put up last year he earned it.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I actually think it's a nice contract.

You have to consider what other defensemen are being paid and the fact that Schultz was arguably our most reliable defenseman last season, it's easy to understand why he's getting paid $5.5M a season.

Perhaps if he signed a four or five year deal it would've been $5M a season, but I think anything under $5M a season is pretty unreasonable and anything over five years was probably pushing it. He's earned himself a fair contract. It's not great for the Penguins or for Schultz, but fair for both sides.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Consider than Dan ****ing Girardi is making 3 mil a year, and Kulikov is making 4.33. Shattenkirk is making 6.65. I thought 5 x 5 would have been fair and made a lot of sense for both sides, but I'm fine with this. Our window is 3-5 years, and we need him to be a part of it. He probably wants at least one more huge contract. It is what it is

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
The board consensus was that he'd get $4.5-$5.5 million AAV. Some people were arguing passionately for the low end and others for the high end, but nobody was down at 4 and nobody was up at 6. So we as a group shouldn't be surprised about this.

Would I have preferred it to end up at the low end? Sure. More money to actually do something to upgrade the team. But just looking around the league and seeing how defensemen are getting paid, both this offseason and just in general, it's clear that the a $4.5 million AAV wasn't going to happen.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The board consensus was that he'd get $4.5-$5.5 million AAV. Some people were arguing passionately for the low end and others for the high end, but nobody was down at 4 and nobody was up at 6. So we as a group shouldn't be surprised about this.

Would I have preferred it to end up at the low end? Sure. More money to actually do something to upgrade the team. But just looking around the league and seeing how defensemen are getting paid, both this offseason and just in general, it's clear that the a $4.5 million AAV wasn't going to happen.

I'd also much rather have Schultz than any of the free agent defensemen receiving similar AAV deals.

Vlasic @ 7.00 (8 years!!!)?
Shattenkirk @ 6.65?
Alzner @ 4.60?
Kulikov @ 4.33?

Gross. Puke. Pass.

Fowler's is the only deal that seems reasonable to me.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
4 for Dumo is a pipe dream. I would say 5x5 or 6x4.5 is best case scenario with him. Maatta is getting 4.1...

I'm not so sure. Dumoulin's 25 and his career high in points is 16. Maatta had 29 as a 19 year old rookie. I'm hoping that puts a hard ceiling on the sort of contract that Dumoulin gets.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I'd also much rather have Schultz than any of the free agent defensemen receiving similar AAV deals.

Vlasic @ 7.00 (8 years!!!)?
Shattenkirk @ 6.65?
Alzner @ 4.60?
Kulikov @ 4.33?

Gross. Puke. Pass.

Fowler's is the only deal that seems reasonable to me.
Yeah, I don't get why people are saying it's an overpayment. What else should they do? Pay more for a D-man who might be as good in a best-case scenario, or get a fraction of the production for the price they wanted to pay?

4 for Dumo is a pipe dream. I would say 5x5 or 6x4.5 is best case scenario with him. Maatta is getting 4.1...

Maatta will score more goals next year than Brian Dumoulin will score in his entire career. Not that scoring is everything when it comes to D-men, but it does make a pretty big difference in salary.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yeah, I don't get why people are saying it's an overpayment. What else should they do? Pay more for a D-man who might be as good in a best-case scenario, or get a fraction of the production for the price they wanted to pay?

I checked out the thread on the trade board because I wanted to read the salt from Oilers fans and one of the first replies was from a guy who believes that Schultz should have received $3.5m per year. Hilarious how some people refuse to live in reality.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I have been saying for months that 4.5m was never going to happen.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012

I'm with you.... I think people are nuts thing he's gonna sign a 4-5 year deal for $3 to 3.5 million

I think he'll be looking for $4+ million

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Little more expensive than I was hoping a week ago but right where I thought it would be after the Orlov, Fowler, Vlasic deals.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

RFA defensive dman simply do not get that money. I think his best hope of expensive comparables would be Brodin and Larsson and they still both have better points production. I strongly doubt he'd get 4 in arbitration.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
RFA defensive dman simply do not get that money. I think his best hope of expensive comparables would be Brodin and Larsson and they still both have better points production. I strongly doubt he'd get 4 in arbitration.

maybe not.... but I also wouldnt expect him to lock himself into a long term deal at $3 to $3.5 million

if they want to lock him up to 4 or 5 years, like I think they will want to, I think they're going to have to go to at least $4 million

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016

I completely agree. I understand that offense isn't everything, but he has 2 goals and 33 points in 163 games. That's not going to play in his favour at arbitration.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm ok with it, it's a bit higher than I'd like but I really like the term, it's 3yrs and it doesn't handcuff this team. It's a good window.

Good job JR.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
that wasnt by choice.... there was minimal interest in him around the league when he was a free agent.... he took gamble on himself so he could make more money

otherwise, if he wanted the security, he probably would have gotten like a 3 year/$6 million deal at best.... although I'm not sure anyone was going to give him 3 years

the bottom line.... him taking no money last year wasnt a sacrifice on his part for the good of the team..... it was because no one was willing to pay him more

So what you're saying is...he left money on the table to come back last year, yes? 3 years at $6 mil > 1 year at $1.4 mil, right?

Sotty

Nov 1, 2004
Westfalen
Seems many people around here had pretty unrealistic expactations. It is a fair contract especially on a relatively short term.

Nobody should forget that Schultz signed a really cheap one year contract last year to prove his worth. That was a pretty big gamble for him and it helped the pens cap situation in a great way. Now he is beeing rewarded.

With the Letang injury history I would rather pay Schultz 500k more to keep him and there is really not much risk on a 3 year deal.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I was hoping for 5 years, but, like Bonino, the Penguins don't seem to want to commit big money for more then 3 years, maybe to don't handcuff themselves when Murray will break bank in the next contract.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012
So what you're saying is...he left money on the table to come back last year, yes? 3 years at $6 mil > 1 year at $1.4 mil, right?

I said "at best"

and sure it's leaving guaranteed money on the table, but it would have been bad business that limited his earnings.... he gambled on himself to make more money

I mean, taking a 1 year/$8 million over a 5 year/$10 million deal would be leaving money on the table based on your logic

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bit more than I'd have liked, but whatever. Hopefully we can get Sheary or Dumo signed for a bit less to balance it out.

Not too worried about the cap, because we're gonna need to move a significant piece to land that 3C we need, so that will offset the price a bit.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
I said "at best"

and sure it's leaving guaranteed money on the table, but it would have been bad business that limited his earnings.... he gambled on himself to make more money

I mean, taking a 1 year/$8 million over a 5 year/$10 million deal would be leaving money on the table based on your logic
No. Based on YOUR fictitious numbers, he received less last year than any other year under a normal contract whereas your silly example had him making $8 mil a year.

Your attempt at making Schultz out to be some selfish guy for taking an extremely team friendly deal last year followed by a reasonable market value deal now and then totally missing the point of my post (maybe intentionally playing dumb) pretty much just shows you gave your mind made up no matter what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->