Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Justin Schultz (3 years, $16.5M | $5.5M AAV)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Steep, but not at all out of line with the market. Mediocre old defensemen were making bank this year.

Wish the term were longer for that price, but watcha gonna do?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wish the Pens had pushed for the opposite, though. More term, but lower AAV.

Why? He's still a risk, not to mention the fact even a player of his offensive caliber isn't worth a long term contract. We got his best years, when we needed them, and for a reasonable price considering what he brings offensively.

Anyone saying this is a steep price is just kidding themselves. He made 4 million when he came here, the cap has gone up and he has become a better player. Honestly, if he was a UFA, I think he could easily get Shattenkirk money.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
That's certainly more than most here expected. Still, if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

EDIT: Also makes me wonder what Dumo is going to come in at.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He was never going to sign cheap but I agree that it looks like he took a bit more money at the sacrifice of some term or maybe the Pens were scared to go too long with the term for him because of his history.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm guessing they gave him several options including longer term but less AAV and he opted for this. Pretty much what a 50+ point defender is going to get these days, though, even as an RFA.

I bet Dumoulin goes longer term.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
He deserved to get paid, glad it is only three years. If he regresses it won't be crippling long term. If he keeps up his good play, it will be a good deal.

A little on the high side, but not a bad contract at all.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
People complaining are working so hard just to complain. Absolutely nothing to complain about on this one

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
One thing I'll say that is a nice side effect of his getting paid this money is that if forces them to play him above Letang in some situations. Its hard to justify a 5.5 million player who is getting played to produce not playing the power play above Letang occasionally when he has that shot.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Its the price for a 50p defenseman, yes. But he wont put up 50 again when Letang is back

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I actually prefer they went this route instead of the six years, $30M+ that Orlov got. Outside of actual star players where your hands are tied, nothing good comes from handing out long-term deals.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Its the price for a 50p defenseman, yes. But he wont put up 50 again when Letang is back

I think he might actually improve on those numbers if they keep Schultz on the #1 PP unit and put Letang on the 2nd, as they should. Letang was still glued to that first unit for pretty much every game he played last season.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

Depends on the PP configuration.

I'm praying they see the light and recognize that Schultz is wayyy better on the PP than Tang, however, there is no guarantee.

Love Letang, but man the guy is a total idiot on the powerplay. Schultz makes all those smart little plays and kinda reminds me of a poor man's Gonchar out there in that he really knows how to run a PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad