Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Justin Schultz (3 years, $16.5M | $5.5M AAV)

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
500k per year more than I expected, and one less year, but this is fine. He came back to us cheap last year on a prove it deal when better offers were out there, and he proved it. It's our turn to make good.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
a deal that needed to be signed.

having two elite puck movers like Letang and Schultz healthy for next season will make a huge difference.

I love the make-up of the D, and I hope JR won't move Maatta.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yes... and Dumoulin led all Pens dmen in TOI these playoffs and was #3 behind Letang and Daley last playoffs. In the two runs combined, Dumoulin averaged 21:45 per game (2nd to Letang at 28:52) while Maatta averaged 19:24.

I'm not arguing that Dumo should or shouldn't receive x amount, I simply said that I hope his complete lack of offensive production limits the money he receives. We may very well have to go 5x5, but I sure as hell hope not.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Had to keep him but thought he would do us a favor and sign for a bit less considering he might be out of the league by now if not for the pens

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Schultz's comp was Shattenkirk...if you look at it that way, we got him for a steal

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Schultz's comp was Shattenkirk...if you look at it that way, we got him for a steal

I've said before that I would take Schultz 100 times/100 even at the same money as Shattenkirk. Shatty was so brutal in the playoffs and Schultz was a pleasant surprise on the defensive side of the game. He was very consistent, and I liked his battle level. I thought he would get between 5 and 5.5, although I got the term wrong. I thought if we went up to 5.5 that it would be for at least 4 or 5 years. But overall, I'm very happy. If Schultz was a UFA this summer, I'm sure the contract would have been for closer to $6M, but probably longer term.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I've said before that I would take Schultz 100 times/100 even at the same money as Shattenkirk. Shatty was so brutal in the playoffs and Schultz was a pleasant surprise on the defensive side of the game. He was very consistent, and I liked his battle level. I thought he would get between 5 and 5.5, although I got the term wrong. I thought if we went up to 5.5 that it would be for at least 4 or 5 years. But overall, I'm very happy. If Schultz was a UFA this summer, I'm sure the contract would have been for closer to $6M, but probably longer term.

Schultz is bigger, better, younger and cheaper. Even if he weren't cheaper, he'd still have the other 3 advantages over Shattenkirk.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Guy like Dumo, i do the opposite.
He'll be 26 to start this next season.
Lock him up to 6yrs(takes him to 32) for the lowest aav we can get.
Hopefully Maatta type money(up to 4.1) at most.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Shattenkirk's deal is going to be an albatross. I've never been less impressed with a player than had so much hype around them as I was with him in Washington. Awful trade.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Shattenkirk's deal is going to be an albatross. I've never been less impressed with a player than had so much hype around them as I was with him in Washington. Awful trade.

I don't know about an albatross, but everyone keeps talking about what a steal his contract was. I don't see it. More like a fair deal, maybe even a bit of an overpayment, for a guy because a team has a glaring weakness on the blueline.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I don't know about an albatross, but everyone keeps talking about what a steal his contract was. I don't see it. More like a fair deal, maybe even a bit of an overpayment, for a guy because a team has a glaring weakness on the blueline.

If they think steal its probably more from the term. Most were thinking 7 yrs which always makes it riskier for non elite players at his age.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Can't hate on that at all. Helped bring us to 2 (straight!) Cups for chump change. Plenty of players get more and end up doing less; he's punched his ticket as far as being "worthy" goes.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am little late for the comment, but had feeling all along that it will go at minimum $5M and that he had all the leverage in negotiations cause management is scared about Letang and his future.

Good signing at the market value, but I fear that his best season may be behind him and. If Tanger is vback fully healthy, that would help him out big time..t

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
He had all the leverage in the world and there was never a chance he would accept less than 5.
Not great, but not horrible, so just a fair deal.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
My initial reaction was to gulp a bit, but I'm coming around to the "fair for both sides" stance. My worry is, as others have brought up, that he'll never hit 50 points again. If you subtract his "December to Remember" where he produced at a 33-goal, 98-point and +88 pace over 15 games, the rest of his season he was at an 8-goal, 43-point and +14 pace over 63 games. Of course everyone looks markedly worse when you take away their best month of the season and he certainly produced in the playoffs, even after a significant injury to boot. Lastly, we also kind of owed him the benefit of the doubt as he way, way over-produced on last season's well-below-market-value contract.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
My initial reaction was to gulp a bit, but I'm coming around to the "fair for both sides" stance. My worry is, as others have brought up, that he'll never hit 50 points again. If you subtract his "December to Remember" where he produced at a 33-goal, 98-point and +88 pace over 15 games, the rest of his season he was at an 8-goal, 43-point and +14 pace over 63 games. Of course everyone looks markedly worse when you take away their best month of the season and he certainly produced in the playoffs, even after a significant injury to boot. Lastly, we also kind of owed him the benefit of the doubt as he way, way over-produced on last season's well-below-market-value contract.

You have to consider that they probably overused him and that's why you saw a dip in his production. He's clearly not a #1 guy, but they rode him like one

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

He's not going to be as bad with NYR as he was with WSH. Sometimes those deadline deals don't work out for the player.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That said Shattenkirk is a step above, and is getting a bum rap. He was never an option here for a number of reasons, wanting to play in NY, wanting to be the top defender on a team. But slamming him to prop up Schultz is just plain wrong.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
That said Shattenkirk is a step above, and is getting a bum rap. He was never an option here for a number of reasons, wanting to play in NY, wanting to be the top defender on a team. But slamming him to prop up Schultz is just plain wrong.

I respect the stats, but the eye test did not tell me that Shatty was an appreciably better defensive player vs Schultz. Certainly not $2M better

Bad signings:
- Shatty
-Price
-Alzner

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get some reservations on the cap hit. That's on the high side of what I was hoping for. But considering the market for defensemen, the team's needs and Schultz's performance on the Penguins (particularly this past season)... this is kind of a slam dunk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad