Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Chad Ruhwedel (2 years, $650k per)

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd be cool starting the season with DP and him rotating as 6/7. Unless something comes along to upgrade the top 4 or we move DP or another D.
That's what I was thinking. Maybe Corrado in the mix too.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd be cool starting the season with DP and him rotating as 6/7. Unless something comes along to upgrade the top 4 or we move DP or another D.

Unless Pouliot is competitive in camp I wouldn't do that. I'd really like to add another D still (coughschmidtcough) because the Pens break things like clockwork.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
This is awesome. If we could make a trade to force him to be the #7, we're in a really good spot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, I think they would have specified if it were a two-way deal. And really, that's why the cap hit is reasonable. For a guy who's bounced around a bit between leagues, it's a big plus to know that if for some reason you did end up in the AHL, you'd at least be making the same salary.

That's what I figured. Usually these career AHL guys will take near the minimum NHL salary in return for a 1-way deal so that, like you said, they have guaranteed money even if they get sent down.

Good deal for a 7th D-man that showed he could step in as a bottom pairing guy if needed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Poo has to clear waivers now, no? He either plays or sits in the stand.

Yeah, he has to go through waivers. It's waivers where someone (Shero) will claim him, the press box with nachos Phil will resent him for or he plays. If he's here. If his preseason isn't competitive then I can't say I want him playing but the press box won't help this mess either. Yayyyyyyyy.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Pouliot is not gonna be a Penguin. I don't know why no one understands he's already a bust and everyone knows this. Dude is not gonna be a NHLer.

This however, is a great signing.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Pouliot is not gonna be a Penguin. I don't know why no one understands he's already a bust and everyone knows this. Dude is not gonna be a NHLer.

This however, is a great signing.

They must see something, JR has had several years now to trade the kid.

I like poo!

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Nice, and cheap. 6/7D as long as the rest of the D don't get in a car accident celebrating Letang's return.

I doubt he took a discount, tbh. He got two years and that probably did it. Maybe one way.

Schultz might take a discount because he's scared ****less of falling apart or being in a bad situation again though.

What are you expecting for Schultz, 4.5-5M?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
X1K9o_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I like poo!

Unless I am remembering wrong, JR said prior to the playoffs that they like him and are ok with his progress.

He also had said that he wanted Pouliot to grab a spot this past year during training camp last year, so I am sure that in some ways they are disappointed.

But it certainly did not sound like they have given up on him when JR last spoke about him, quite the opposite. And when JR says something he does not beat around the bush, he pretty much says what he means.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I like poo!

You need two teams to make a trade. Maybe the reason JR hasn't traded him is because no other team has shown interest?

If the Pens were that high on him, he wouldn't have been behind Streit, Ruhwedel, Gaunce and Warsofsky on the depth chart.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You need two teams to make a trade. Maybe the reason JR hasn't traded him is because no other team has shown interest?

If the Pens were that high on him, he wouldn't have been behind Streit, Ruhwedel, Gaunce and Warsofsky on the depth chart.

Not necessarily, though perhaps. Some players develop slowly, especially on defense. It is possible that they think that about him and still currently have him behind as not ready. I have no clue, but as I said above JR fairly recently spoke about being still fairly high on the kid.

Only a week ago on June 14th:

“[Defenseman Derrick] Pouliot finished the year really strong,” Rutherford said. “I'm really pleased with where he's at now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...up-repeat-jim-rutherford/stories/201706140143

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Great deal for a great depth defensemen. I really like it. This spells the end of Pouliot's time in Pittsburgh, no? That closes up the #7 spot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not necessarily, though perhaps. Some players develop slowly, especially on defense. It is possible that they think that about him and still currently have him behind as not ready. I have no clue, but as I said above JR fairly recently spoke about being still fairly high on the kid.

Only a week ago on June 14th:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...up-repeat-jim-rutherford/stories/201706140143

If his intention is to move him, does it make sense for JR to say anything other than glowing remarks about him?

"Yeah, we're really disappointed in Derrick's development. He's stalled and, in fact, looks worse now than when he first broke into the league.

So ... uhh ... Pouliot for Duchene sound good to you?"

;)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hell of a deal for what he brings us. Easily a capable #6. Love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad