Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Chad Ruhwedel (2 years, $650k per)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If his intention is to move him, does it make sense for JR to say anything other than glowing remarks about him?

"Yeah, we're really disappointed in Derrick's development. He's stalled and, in fact, looks worse now than when he first broke into the league.

So ... uhh ... Pouliot for Duchene sound good to you?"

;)

a) I do not think that JR could play those games if he tried.

b) He has been saying similar things for a couple of years now, it is nothing new.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Great deal for a great depth defensemen. I really like it. This spells the end of Pouliot's time in Pittsburgh, no? That closes up the #7 spot.

Dumo Letang
Cole Schultz
Maatta Ruh

That's it so far. Assumes Dumo and Schultz re-sign.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The benefits of winning back to back already paying off. Two contracts done today.

Get Schultz, Sheary, and Dumo done on hometown discounts too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
8cecf9fa86047f9ab5b5807ba3814638.gif

latest

awesome deal. I'm sure he's just thrilled to have a one way deal for two years, and we are thrilled to have a nice cheap number 7. Now please go find a number 6 other than DP.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A solid and cheap #7. Bonus that he's a righty and fits our style.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Great deal for a great depth defensemen. I really like it. This spells the end of Pouliot's time in Pittsburgh, no? That closes up the #7 spot.

I think it's safe to say Rutherford values depth on the blueline, so no.

Honestly I don't know how you can even go into next season with Pouliot penciled in higher than 8th on the depth chart after the year he had.

I'm happy Ruh will be back, and I'm sure he's happy to have that extra year of security.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumo Letang
Cole Schultz
Maatta Ruh

That's it so far. Assumes Dumo and Schultz re-sign.

Ruhwedel shouldn't be the #6 defensemen with everyone healthy.

Honestly I don't know how you can even go into next season with Pouliot penciled in higher than 8th on the depth chart after the year he had.

I'm happy Ruh will be back, and I'm sure he's happy to have that extra year of security.

The issue is Pouliot is waiver eligible next year, so it's either risk losing him to waivers or keep him up if the Penguins retain him.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Pretty hard not to be happy with this. Super cheap, fits our style, and I thought he looked very solid most of the time he was in there, even being thrown into the playoffs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

but at 8th on the depth chart, he likely has to be snuck through waivers. Personally, I'm fine taking that risk. More-so than having him in our top 7.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Again, assumes someone else being signed/acquired then. Unless you bring back one of Hainsey or Daley. Just saying it doesn't mean anything as far as Pouliot goes.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I agree. You don't want him a couple injuries or illnesses away from top 4 duty. Our #6 should be an impact player, not a you-don't-notice-him player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The issue is Pouliot is waiver eligible next year, so it's either risk losing him to waivers or keep him up if the Penguins retain him.

but at 8th on the depth chart, he likely has to be snuck through waivers. Personally, I'm fine taking that risk. More-so than having him in our top 7.

*shrugs*

Oh well. Either learn how to play hockey at the NHL level or **** off. I'm done dealing with him with kid gloves, he's a ****** hockey player who doesn't deserve to be handed anything at this point in time. Play your way onto the roster of the back-to-back champs or get claimed by Colorado, it's up to him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
*shrugs*

Oh well. Either learn how to play hockey at the NHL level or **** off. I'm done dealing with him with kid gloves, he's a ****** hockey player who doesn't deserve to be handed anything at this point in time. Play your way onto the roster of the back-to-back champs or get claimed by Colorado, it's up to him.

Oh I agree. One thing though is that I guess our number 8 will be with the team until Letang is healthy. If they want to give DP a chance, do it then. Sign/trade for a number 6. Then while Letang is out, let DP leapfrog Ruh for a bit to get his last chance. If he blows it, let him go through waivers or in whatever trade we can.

Personally, I'd just trade him tomorrow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd deal Pouliot at the draft for literally whatever. He's not making it here.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If he was in JR's plans to keep around, he was smart to get the contract done before other teams could talk to him. He could have been offered much more by someone else.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Do the Pens get extra money for winning the cup? How does that work? Do teams earn extra money for winning each round of the playoffs? If so, couldn't that factor into signing Ruhwedel at a discount, especially with another shot at the cup?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Do the Pens get extra money for winning the cup? How does that work? Do teams earn extra money for winning each round of the playoffs? If so, couldn't that factor into signing Ruhwedel at a discount, especially with another shot at the cup?

It's not a discount, it's the going rate for a journeyman / depth guy.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I actually really liked him with Cole.

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Schultz
Cole, Ruhwedel

I'd be fine with that, it's the AHL depth that I would focus on then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad