Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Chad Ruhwedel (2 years, $650k per)

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Things came easy to DP in juniors and then he had to work and have the drive to get better. some players have that along the way. DP didn't and after three years of not making the big club, hopefully he finally gets it and dedicates himself to doing what is needed to succeed. He has talent and I am hesitant to give up young D men with his offensive abilities. But if not traded now, he has one more shot.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
If you call 0G 0A -4 in 11 games played then yea, DP was solid this past year. He was only in the plus category for one game last season, a 4-0 Pens win against Florida (he was +1). I'm sure he will be given a shot out of camp this year unless he's moved at the draft.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With Ruhwedel being signed, I don't even see how Pouliot will be given a shot here next year. Ruhwedel is 100% the #7 going into next year because he's a lot better than Pouliot, and I really can't imagine JR will stand pat with the defense considering how much cap space he has (plus how much it needs a shot in the arm). I feel like the Penguins will either trade Pouliot today or tomorrow or they'll gamble on him not getting claimed on waivers in October.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Does anyone know if Ruh is getting his name on the Cup? I hope so.

He doesn't qualify automatically but I'd be shocked if they didn't petition to have him included.

I'd say it's a given due to precedent. Any player with a reasonable case that gets petitioned ends up getting on, and playing 40 games between the regular season and playoffs is most definitely a reasonable case.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ruhwedel deserves his name on the Cup more than Streit does

Streit's name won't go on the Cup. He didn't play in 41 games for the Pens, nor in any of the Cup Final games, and there was no medical reason for him to be excluded, so they can't even petition for him (the rules only allow for petitioning for players who had a medical reason for not qualifying - part of why Bennett didn't make the Cup last year, since he was cleared to play by the Final).

Ruhwedel could go either way - he's just short of the required games and he wasn't in any Cup Final games, but he also lost his spot in the lineup due to injuries. On the other hand, I seem to recall him saying he was able to play again during the Cup Final. I suspect the Pens could still managed to petition for him, but at the same time, it's a close call.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With Ruhwedel being signed, I don't even see how Pouliot will be given a shot here next year. Ruhwedel is 100% the #7 going into next year because he's a lot better than Pouliot, and I really can't imagine JR will stand pat with the defense considering how much cap space he has (plus how much it needs a shot in the arm). I feel like the Penguins will either trade Pouliot today or tomorrow or they'll gamble on him not getting claimed on waivers in October.

The coaches trust Ruh.

They don't trust Pooh.

EDIT: Hey, that rhymes :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If you call 0G 0A -4 in 11 games played then yea, DP was solid this past year. He was only in the plus category for one game last season, a 4-0 Pens win against Florida (he was +1). I'm sure he will be given a shot out of camp this year unless he's moved at the draft.
He was definitely rough this year.

Who said he was solid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad