Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
photo.jpg
@
photo.jpg

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Rangers

The Season so far

Well, where to start? After the lockout was finally concluded fans waited with baited breath for the start of the season and were drilled with commercials re-iterating that #hockeyisback although I'm sure some teams would wish it hadn't started again with the way they're going. This isn't the case for either of today's teams despite their poor starts. Pittsburgh initially started with a tricky season opener against the Flyers but in bizarre fashion it resulted in a fairly easy win whilst the Rangers dropped the opener away to Boston. Both teams have already met this season at MSG in the second game for both. Lundqvist wasn't up to his normal best which saw him pulled as the Penguins went on to win 6-3. At that point Penguins fan were dancing on the ceiling with their start but it went downhill from there. After that the team seemed to lose impetus. They said hello to their fans in the home opener but dropped it against the Maple Leafs whilst Rangers picked up their first two points of the season. Since then Rangers have picked up momentum after a slight bump after losing against Philadelphia and the Penguins have slumped after further poor performances against Ottawa (SO win) and the Islanders (4-1 loss). Time to put that right.

Last time they met

Line-ups

Penguins

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Pascal Dupuis
Dustin Jeffrey - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal
Matt Cooke - Brandon Sutter - Tyler Kennedy
Craig Adams - Joe Vitale - Tanner Glass

Brooks Orpik - Paul Martin
Kris Letang - Simon Despres
Deryk Engelland - Reverend

Marc-Andre-Fleury
Tomas Vokun

Rangers

Rick Nash - Brad Richards - Marian Gaborik
Carl Hagelin - Derek Stepan - Taylor Pyatt
Michael Rupp - Brian Boyle - Benn Ferreiro
Kris Newbury - Jeff Halpern - Arron Asham

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Marc Staal - Michael Del Zotto
Steve Eminger - Anton Stralman

Henrik Lundqvist
Martin Biron

Team Leaders
Penguins || Rangers
Malkin and Crosby (6)|Points|Marian Gaborik (8)
James Neal (4)|Goals|Marian Gaborik (5)
Evgeni Malkin (5)|Assists|Rick Nash (5)
Dupuis and Tangradi (+2)|Plus/Minus|Brad Richards (6)
Dupuis, Martin, Kunitz, Malkin and Neal (1)|Powerplay Goals|Ryan Callahan (2)
(all stats courtesy of http://hockey-reference.com and http://nhl.com)

GO PENS!

*I am aware the lines could change, will update if they do

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Kreider and Callahan both being out should give us a bit more of a chance but I don't see us winning with how we're playing lately.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As strange as it sounds, this can be a great timing for another NYR game. We are always on top of our game against them. They are probably respecting us a bit too much. A win here could get us back on track. We can do it against Rangers. We beated them in last 4 meetings last year and fooled them this year. All wins were by dominating performances.

WE CAN DO IT AGAIN!!! Man, it would be big!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This whole thing is the fault of Rodack and his evil Birdaurus, but Goldar and his electronic space family will save us.

(Also I am 99% certain Rodack is George Carlin. And Silvar.... she's 100% RRRrar!)

This one is even better. Half Japanese, half dubbed in one episode! Older Episode 15 vastly superior to less old episode 15. God bless YouTube.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Weren't the Rangers the only team you guys have scored more than 2 against? I'm not counting the empty netter against the Flyers. Considering you destroyed us and have scored 16 goals in our last 3 meetings, you will probably destroy us again.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How TK is on the 4th and Glass is on the 3rd is beyond hilarious to what I think of DB. I mean... really?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
How TK is on the 4th and Glass is on the 3rd is beyond hilarious to what I think of DB. I mean... really?

The real joke will be when you see Adams on Malkin's line in place of Neal so we can "spark some offense on the bottom lines."

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Tanner ****ing GLASS, Cole... he CUTS people all right? Recognize the skills.

On a serious note I have no problems with Kennedy on Line 4 but I'd rather see Tangradi on 3 not Glass. And leave him there a few games. Let him take the initiative there and not ride coat-tails. Cooke, Sutter and Tango should be able to get a good cycle game going, wreak some goalie havoc ... if someone allows them time to get familiar with the new arrangement.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying that I've given up hope, but watching the Chicago v. Minny game today, it felt weird to watch a team that was hungry for a win. The Pens have not looked hungry. They've looked lost and content. The only thing good going into this game is that the Rangers haven't looked spectacular at all this season (especially the first couple games). With Callahan out, it should also improve our chances. It really just depends on if DB realizes he is getting close to being canned and inspires the team to put forth a little effort.

I'll go off the hopeful deep end and say Pens win 3-2. Crosby 1-1.

Fire Shero*

Pens win 3-2 in a shoot out.

Why did TK get demoted to the 4th line? Bylsma really has a hard on for Tanner Glass. I was hoping Vokoun would start.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
At this point in time we can easily win or lose any game.

Difference will be whether our stars give us offense by their lonesomes/PP connects or not.

Will be interesting to see who gets the start in goal for us, and who Tortorella matches his top line against. If it is Malkin's as I imagine, Bylsma has to be conscious to not let our third pairing get as much ice-time with Malkin 5 on 5 as he usually gives them. They will suffer both Gaborik's speed and Nash's combo of speed/strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia