Rumor: Penguins prepared to sign Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I’m fine with the term, term rarely kills teams.. but Johnson was reeaaallly bad last year and should be proving he’s still an NHLer at this points. Like, it’s not like I want him to fail.

If Johnson wasn't really bad we were not getting him at a little over 3m. He's a defenseman in his prime currently. He was in a rough spot in Columbus. We saw it with Cole here - when a player and a coach are not seeing eye to eye, it never works out in the players favor.

Fact of the matter for me is that Jack was seen as a leader on the Jackets, he played big mins, and he is an incredible talent. People have to realize, Jack Johnson walking into Pittsburgh in September has never had less expectations on him than in his entire career. He was brought in here to be a middle to bottom pairing defenseman. He has a long term deal, he's on a team where he's going to feel comfortable, playing for a coach that employs a style that matches up well with his skill set, and he has no expectations. I think he comes in and turns himself around. He has quite literally never been in this position before.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The key here is that JR got another guy that can log big minutes, which helps spread more minutes around and less minutes to Letang which might make that handsome-dimwitted-moron make less mistakes.

ecd53b38597e64f96458ad8bfcd27571.jpg

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
JJ is 31, in his prime, and has the pedigree of being a top 3 pick.

If the Penguins could turn around Matt Niskanen and Justin Schultz, why not Jack Johnson?

I am not against the signing, assuming that it happens and for the reported amount and term, like some but draft position 13 years ago has very little relevance to the discussion. If Carolina had the pick to do over again with the benefit of hindsight he would not have been it. Some guy whose first name rhymes with Pansy would be up there on the list.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JJ is 31, in his prime, and has the pedigree of being a top 3 pick.

If the Penguins could turn around Matt Niskanen and Justin Schultz, why not Jack Johnson?

I mean.. 31 is not the prime for any physical dman ever, but if that helps you deal with it..

Reactions: domaug

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I mean.. 31 is not the prime for any physical dman ever, but if that helps you deal with it..

-Scott Stevens says hello. His career didnt take off to the big time until he got to NJ 10 years deep into his career. Stevens career took off in his 30s, and was far and away the hardest hitting player of all time.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
Filling the team with former top ten picks , to add to Crosby and Malkin is the strategy.

Jack Johnson 3rd overall in 2005

Kessel 5th overall in 2006
Brassard 6th overall in 2006

Now he just needs to add a #4 overall and the Pens will have a player drafted #1-6 OA. I guess he should have landed Evander Kane when he had the chance.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So JJ was scratched in Columbus not because he sucks, but because he and Torts didn't get along?

He played 77 regular season games.

Scratched for the playoffs is probably why they lost though ;)

Side note: Ironically Bob was the best goalie against the Caps these playoffs

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
-Scott Stevens says hello. His career didnt take off to the big time until he got to NJ 10 years deep into his career. Stevens career took off in his 30s, and was far and away the hardest hitting player of all time.

Totally wrong but alright. Fingers crossed his career “takes off” at 30 like said hall of fame dman :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If Johnson wasn't really bad we were not getting him at a little over 3m. He's a defenseman in his prime currently. He was in a rough spot in Columbus. We saw it with Cole here - when a player and a coach are not seeing eye to eye, it never works out in the players favor.

Fact of the matter for me is that Jack was seen as a leader on the Jackets, he played big mins, and he is an incredible talent. People have to realize, Jack Johnson walking into Pittsburgh in September has never had less expectations on him than in his entire career. He was brought in here to be a middle to bottom pairing defenseman. He has a long term deal, he's on a team where he's going to feel comfortable, playing for a coach that employs a style that matches up well with his skill set, and he has no expectations. I think he comes in and turns himself around. He has quite literally never been in this position before.

Well championship teams don't usually hand out 5 year terms to defensemen that need a change of scenery and career resurrection. It's not the end of the world and JR has shown he can unload mistakes, but let's say Johnson sucks this year, then what? Package him + Sprong for a 5th? Can't do that kind of stuff forever.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
People worried about the term haven't paid attention to how things like this have been handled. Johnson's cap hit is good now. As the cap rises, his cap hit will be almost inconsequential to another team. It would be like Hunwick's now.
The cap will need to rise by 26 million to be equivalent to Hunwick's cap percentage for last year. (assuming $3.2M AAV)

The cap rose by 23 million in the last 10 years.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Not a big fan because of the term, actually don't like it at all. But I am willing to be proven wrong. Some of you all have eased my mind slightly.

I give JR the benefit.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The cap will need to rise by 26 million to be equivalent to Hunwick's cap percentage for last year. (assuming $3.2M AAV)

The cap rose by 23 million in the last 10 years.

Luckily, there isn't much of a comparison between the two players on the ice.

This is a good signing. The term is long, but not a boat anchor contract by any stretch. He'll be a good player here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad