Rumor: Penguins prepared to sign Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
The interesting thing about this deal is how boom/bust it is. I don't see much middle ground here, it's either going to be a great contract or a horrendous contract. The deal is too long for Johnson to not suck during it, regardless of what you think about him now, he's not going to be an effective player at age 37.

The deal will be great if he gives 3+ years of top-4 D performances, regardless of whether he sucks at the end. The deal will suck if he does any less than that. I don't think there's a middle ground where he just plays to his salary level every single year, I see him falling way off near the end of this deal.
Caps were able to trade Orpik.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
In a couple years, I might look stupid for thinking that I like this player/salary. Like Empo said: like the player, the fit, and the salary but the term is overboard. Remember the contract isn’t “finalized” yet so something might change but by no means is this a bad deal for the Sid/Geno era.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
WSNW4Ik.gif

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We are getting sidneys wrong BFF. ..it should be MacKinnon
I mean, he's untouchable on the Avs, but yeah....

Jack Johnson is a solid defenseman, people here are going to whine until he plays and then change their mind. I remember when people here bitched and whined incessantly about Matt Cullen being signed and then quickly changed their tune a month into the season. JJ had a very bad year in Columbus with a tyrant of a coach playing some tough assignments. In the Pens system, he'll be fine.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sid and JJ are buds...wonder if JJ will ask Sid if he can snag a room in the basement...?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sid and JJ are buds...wonder if JJ will ask Sid if he can snag a room in the basement...?
tSmu5kP.gif

For real though, I had a very good friend that had parents that abused the fact that he always wanted to help family, every penny he made went to helping them and they would just spend it on stupid stuff and it wasn't until he almost lost his house that he realized it. I feel bad for JJ, his parents abused the fact that their son wanted nothing but a stress free life for them and they f***ed him over royally. I am happy with him coming on board with the Penguins, people can hate all they want, come October, by the end of the month, those same people will be talking about how JR is a god for this steal of a contract.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
If it's for the reported 3-3.5m, holy hell I am ecstatic about it, that's an absolute steal of a deal.

Yes I agree. I’d go to 4 or 5 years to get a cap hit like that. By the time he’s in his 5th year the cap will be $90 million or more and $3.5 for a bottom pairing guy won’t be the end of the world. To be honest, in 5 years the team will be gearing up for a rebuild anyhow.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes I agree. I’d go to 4 or 5 years to get a cap hit like that. By the tome he’s in his 5th year the cap will be $90 million or more and $3.5 for a bottom pairing guy won’t be the end of the world. To be in honest, in 5 years the team will be gearing up for a rebuild anyhow.
He's the same age as Crosby, so even at 35, he'll still be a serviceable defenseman. I think it's a fantastic deal, if the numbers are correct I mean.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Caps were able to trade Orpik.

Well, Orpik is 37 going on 38. Johnson at the end of this deal will be around 36yrs old. At 3-3.5m cap hit, that is not even remotely close to Orpik levels of problems with a cap dump/trade with a young player just to dump him.

Orpik's cap hit was never ever good, it was a head scratcher the moment it was signed at 5.5m/yr average. Even in 5yrs, that would still be bad with the cap going up. 3-3.5m? That's not even in the same realm.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
People worried about the term haven't paid attention to how things like this have been handled. Johnson's cap hit is good now. As the cap rises, his cap hit will be almost inconsequential to another team. It would be like Hunwick's now.

Reactions: Tweed and Jacob

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People worried about the term haven't paid attention to how things like this have been handled. Johnson's cap hit is good now. As the cap rises, his cap hit will be almost inconsequential to another team. It would be like Hunwick's now.

I’m fine with the term, term rarely kills teams.. but Johnson was reeaaallly bad last year and should be proving he’s still an NHLer at this point. Like, it’s not like I want him to fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Star67

Nov 17, 2017
Wouldn't hate it completely. Jack Johnson is a solid 2nd pairing D-man. Also the Penguins have a knack for rehabbing d-men. Would be a lot better if it was a 3-4 year deal. The cap-hit is good at 3.25M. He can still play in a shutdown role to shelter Letang's minutes a little. Jack Johnson on a 2nd pairing along with Justin Schultz would be a good second pairing.

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Jack Johnson - Justin Schultz
Olli Maatta - Jamie Oleksiak

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Well, Orpik is 37 going on 38. Johnson at the end of this deal will be around 36yrs old. At 3-3.5m cap hit, that is not even remotely close to Orpik levels of problems with a cap dump/trade with a young player just to dump him.

Orpik's cap hit was never ever good, it was a head scratcher the moment it was signed at 5.5m/yr average. Even in 5yrs, that would still be bad with the cap going up. 3-3.5m? That's not even in the same realm.
My point was Orpik was moved and was older and on a worse contract so moving Johnson shouldn’t be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad