TSN: Penguins ousted in the First Round in 2022

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because they’re a small team that is built on speed but isn’t faster or as fast as the elite teams. They’re top players are closer to retirement than their primes and they have little prospects and no draft picks to deal for talent.

We did blow an opportunity this year but it wasn’t from bad coaching. Bad coaching didn’t help but Jarry was awful.

I'm going to die on this hill even if people keep insisting I'm wrong. The roster construction still isn't right for what Sid and Geno are capable of at their age. They need more help than the current winger group can provide. Plus, the mix is just off. Too many of the same type of undersized winger.

IMO, it's fair to say that Jarry cost us the series versus the Islanders. But Jarry wouldn't have been the reason we can't compete versus the elite teams in the league. Even if we'd gotten past the Isles, I think the issues with the build of the roster would have prevented us from being able to beat Boston, Tampa, Colorado, or Vegas after that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jarry shitting the bed was the worst possible outcome for this team, because now they have an easy excuse to justify doing nothing this off season. We won the division; we would have made a long run but for shaky goaltending!

Are you at the least going to get rid of Jarry?

Well no, he’s young and stuff, and an all star!

Reactions: PensPlz

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
“The Pens org staying pat and stubbornly refusing to change....how shocking!!!”

- Nobody
The Pens usually would have started their annual negative PR campaign against a player by now; it is shocking that they are even too lazy to run someone out of town this summer.

Hextall is living his best life by not doing anything. He’s going to have a nice hibernation this summer.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
The Pens usually would have started their annual negative PR campaign against a player by now; it is shocking that they are even too lazy to run someone out of town this summer.

Hextall is living his best life by not doing anything. He’s going to have a nice hibernation this summer.

Dude, your hatred for Hextall is concerning. Like, you hate him so much I'm kind of impressed.

Reactions: spcastlemagic

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think when it comes to this management team there is definitely an element of all of us being used to JR and his mouth diarrhea 24/7. I get that Hex seems really patient and quiet but frankly his posture is more in line with most GMs around the league. JR was a crazy old man. In most ways I'll take this.

Though of course for those that were looking for a "glass the deserts and boil the seas" scenario this offseason... JR was probably your guy. But I like sanity, a distinct lack of blabbing nonsense to the press and first round picks, thanks. Oh and the core. I like the core... JR would have already traded Letang and would be working on Malkin.

'Course... to some of you that's a good thing.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I think when it comes to this management team there is definitely an element of all of us being used to JR and his mouth diarrhea 24/7. I get that Hex seems really patient and quiet but frankly his posture is more in line with most GMs around the league. JR was a crazy old man. In most ways I'll take this.

Though of course for those that were looking for a "glass the deserts and boil the seas" scenario this offseason... JR was probably your guy. But I like sanity, a distinct lack of blabbing nonsense to the press and first round picks, thanks. Oh and the core. I like the core... JR would have already traded Letang and would be working on Malkin.

'Course... to some of you that's a good thing.

I also like Burke publicly defending his players, which is a welcome change from Rutherford's last couple years.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Axing Sully and selling low on Jarry would be incredibly stupid reactionary moves to make this offseason.

Man, this fanbase can be unbearable sometimes.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Axing Sully and selling low on Jarry would be incredibly stupid reactionary moves to make this offseason.

Man, this fanbase can be unbearable sometimes.

How would firing Sully be a reactionary move? The post-season results have been terrible for 3 straight years, it wasn't just one series against the Islanders. The Penguins are 4-15 their last 19 playoff games.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
How would firing Sully be a reactionary move? The post-season results have been terrible for 3 straight years, it wasn't just one series against the Islanders. The Penguins are 4-15 their last 19 playoff games.

Fair point.

I guess it would make more sense to me if there were other viable options available, but who do we bring in? Boudreau, Roy, Tocchet, Torts? The alternatives just don't make sense to me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fair point.

I guess it would make more sense to me if there were other viable options available, but who do we bring in? Boudreau, Roy, Tocchet, Torts? The alternatives just don't make sense to me.

I think the reality is most of us feel like Sullivan has lost the room. I guess there is a counterpoint to that given how well they played this post season outside of goaltending, but at the same time it's hard to get onboard with a team that is "win now" allowing a coach three consecutive first round exits.

As far as Jarry. I dunno man, I've never been super hot on him. I thought he did a good job this regular season, but ultimately the playoffs are what is important and that implosion was the worst I've ever seen from a Penguins goaltender which is honestly pretty impressive given what has gone on the last thirty years.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Sullivan clearly lost the room to me in 2018-19, or at least presided over a totally dysfunctional lockerroom. I just think he got very angry that season and was way too intense. There were a lot of angry press conferences and a lot of angry body language behind the bench. I don't know how you can look at how the Penguins played this year and think he lost the room at any point. He has some significant warts that need to be addressed by this management team, but I don't see any indication he has lost the room.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Fair point.

Gallant was available. Quenneville was available last off season. Hell, offer Brind’Amour a boatload. Julien is also available. We’ve missed out on some quality coaches while foolishly waiting for Sully to learn how to coach again in the playoffs.

You don’t keep a crappy coach because you are afraid of change. Mike Johnston was a horrible hire; simply don’t hire a guy with his type of resume if you are that worried. I think many of you who still defend coach turd are afraid of hiring another Mike Johnston.

Keeping Sullivan employed is laughable at this point and makes no sense. He’s too far removed from success to continue to pretend he’s still an effective playoff coach.

Last edited:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
So no one thinks cutting Sullivan would be an overreaction? The teams we lost to the last 2 years are 3 wins away from the Finals and at least this this year we dominated the play against that team. In a league where a lot of good teams haven't been able to get the conference finals?
  • Has won the Stanley Cup 33% of the time he's been the Pens coach
  • .614 win % as a head coach
  • 1 losing season in his 8 years as a head coach

I feel like some of us are lacking perspective. Getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs isn't the same as it was several years ago. The NHL wanted the round to be more competitive and now it is.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Gallant was available. Quenneville was available last off season. Hell, offer Brind’Amour a boatload. Julien is also available. We’ve missed out on some quality coaches while foolishly waiting for Sully to learn how to coach again in the playoffs.

You don’t keep a crappy coach because you are afraid of change. Mike Johnston was a horrible hire; simply don’t hire a guy with his type of resume if you are that worried. I think many of you who still defend coach turd are afraid of hiring another Mike Johnston.

Keeping Sullivan employed is laughable at this point and makes no sense. He’s too far removed from success to continue to pretend he’s still an effective playoff coach.
Gallant is not an upgrade. He hasn't lasted longer than three seasons in any job.

Brind'Amour isn't going to coach anywhere other than Carolina. It's why he took substantially less in his new deal - he just wanted his assistants to get paid.

Claude Julien is out of touch. He's missed four of the past six playoffs and hasn't won a non-bubble playoff series since 2013-14.

Find a real replacement and then we can talk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So no one thinks cutting Sullivan would be an overreaction? The teams we lost to the last 2 years are 3 wins away from the Finals and at least this this year we dominated the play against that team. In a league where a lot of good teams haven't been able to get the conference finals?
  • Has won the Stanley Cup 33% of the time he's been the Pens coach
  • .614 win % as a head coach
  • 1 losing season in his 8 years as a head coach

I feel like some of us are lacking perspective. Getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs isn't the same as it was several years ago. The NHL wanted the round to be more competitive and now it is.

Getting fired after three 1st round playoff losses is not an overreaction IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad