TSN: Penguins ousted in the First Round in 2022

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I’m not sure why this team can’t go on a run with another coach. Keeping sully because the window closed is foolish. If your mindset is that you aren’t going to contend, start the rebuild now.

Again, on paper the team should have beat every team in our division. We blew a golden opportunity this year. Boston got worse, the isles were very beatable, and the Caps were eliminated.

Because they’re a small team that is built on speed but isn’t faster or as fast as the elite teams. They’re top players are closer to retirement than their primes and they have little prospects and no draft picks to deal for talent.

We did blow an opportunity this year but it wasn’t from bad coaching. Bad coaching didn’t help but Jarry was awful.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jarry being awful falls on Sullivan's shoulders, though. I don't get the whole "Sully wasn't great but it was actually Jarry" stuff. The coach decides which goalie plays, and even if you're not confident in Lagace (nobody should've been) Jarry was worse than any goalie, at least Penguins goalie, has been for a decade. :laugh: Just completely shitting his pants and painting the crease brown every time he went to make a save.

Lagace probably isn't some Hedberg in the making that comes out of nowhere to steal the starter job and take the team on a run, but there was no way he'd have been worse than Jarry was. That's on Sully.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
i don’t think people are blaming Jarry for the last three years. Just this year. Which makes sense since, you know, he was complete garbage for three of their losses.

Sullivan should have done more to fix the top line but, ultimately, they were never going to go far with a goalie letting in 12% of shots.

I agree with empoleon. They’re bringing Sullivan back because they know the window has closed and whoever takes over will need to be part of a rebuild. Why eat that contract when the team isn’t going far in the playoffs anyway?

No, they aren't. But they're sure as shit ignoring everything prior to this year when they scapegoat him. They're also ignoring 3+ yrs of no-shows by basically everyone else on the roster. It's just that Jarry's OT f*** up gave them an "oh, shiny" moment to point to.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Jarry being awful falls on Sullivan's shoulders, though. I don't get the whole "Sully wasn't great but it was actually Jarry" stuff. The coach decides which goalie plays, and even if you're not confident in Lagace (nobody should've been) Jarry was worse than any goalie, at least Penguins goalie, has been for a decade. :laugh: Just completely shitting his pants and painting the crease brown every time he went to make a save.

Lagace probably isn't some Hedberg in the making that comes out of nowhere to steal the starter job and take the team on a run, but there was no way he'd have been worse than Jarry was. That's on Sully.

he should’ve pulled Jarry at 4-3 islanders but there’s no way he was going to start game 6. That would’ve been asinine

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
he should’ve pulled Jarry at 4-3 islanders but there’s no way he was going to start game 6. That would’ve been asinine
I don't know, man. Letting Jarry embarrass himself all series, culminating in those final two games... That was asinine.

At no point did Jarry ever look calm, comfortable or composed in net. Not even in the games we won, imo. I understand it wasn't easy for a coach, but at some point you gotta pull the rip cord. He did it with Murray against the Habs, though Jarry was thought of as a better option than Lagace to be fair.

If we're gonna crucify Jarry for as bad a goalie performance as we've seen for the past decade, we absolutely have to blame the coach that kept trotting him out there regardless of performance. /shrug

Reactions: Pens x

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It’s not hard to imagine Jarry begging to not start after like game 4 this year. :laugh: Goalies are weird but I can’t imagine too many of them would have actually wanted to have been in net after some of those performances. :laugh:

Reactions: ncm7772

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
No, they aren't. But they're sure as shit ignoring everything prior to this year when they scapegoat him. They're also ignoring 3+ yrs of no-shows by basically everyone else on the roster. It's just that Jarry's OT f*** up gave them an "oh, shiny" moment to point to.

but they aren’t the same. 2019 and 2020 the team was lifeless and devoid of offensive production against an inferior opponent. This year, if Jarry makes a few routine saves, we win the series and advance for the first time since 2018.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
but they aren’t the same. 2019 and 2020 the team was lifeless and devoid of offensive production against an inferior opponent. This year, if Jarry makes a few routine saves, we win the series and advance for the first time since 2018.

And again this year, an inferior opponent, we scored more than 3 goals once. If only Jake could shoot higher than 3-4% the last 3 years, if only Sid could actually score in the playoffs, if only ...

We've been losing to inferior opponents in the first round* for 3 years. We've won 3 playoff games in the last 3 years. Always an excuse. Only a handful of consistent factors.

Reactions: Angrrus and Pens x

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And again this year, an inferior opponent, we scored more than 3 goals once. If only Jake could shoot higher than 3-4% the last 3 years, if only Sid could actually score in the playoffs, if only ...

We've been losing to inferior opponents in the first round* for 3 years. We've won 3 playoff games in the last 3 years. Always an excuse. Only a handful of consistent factors.

The Islanders were not an inferior opponent though. We were neck and neck all season in the standings.

I also think it needs to be mentioned that in the last 3 years, we have had the hardest time with the Islanders who are basically built to beat us.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The Islanders were not an inferior opponent though. We were neck and neck all season in the standings.

I also think it needs to be mentioned that in the last 3 years, we have had the hardest time with the Islanders who are basically built to beat us.

Semantics. We were a higher seed and most predicted us to advance.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Semantics. We were a higher seed and most predicted us to advance.

I mean, it may be semantics to you, but we were two very evenly matched teams, especially with a hurt Malkin. We should have won, I agree, but I didn't think this outcome was some crazy, far fetched outcome.

Reactions: KareemTrustfund

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I mean, it may be semantics to you, but we were two very evenly matched teams, especially with a hurt Malkin. We should have won, I agree, but I didn't think this outcome was some crazy, far fetched outcome.

Losing was always within the realm of possibility, but were we not told by the experts time and time again -- right here on this site -- that based on this year's regular season outcome between the Pens & Islanders:

a. We really had the Isles' number, their boring trapping ultra-defensive style was no longer effective against us because we had "figured out" the perfect way to beat it consistently.

b. It was ever so cute that Trotz was going to try to make some "adjustments", but the poor guy might as well just beat his head against the wall because there was so little chance that those adjustments would work.

c. Don't bother bringing up 2019 -- that was 2 years ago and this Penguins team now is so much different (and so much better!) than that one was.

Based on all of the above it was a relief that we didn't need to worry about changing one single thing from the regular season approach to the Islanders, because our coach doesn't understand tricky things like "matchups" or "adjustments". Things that work well in January always work exactly the same in the playoffs, don't they?

That relief lasted until it turned out we really did need to adjust, and we couldn't because it would be effeminate or something to be anything other than rigidly stubborn and refuse to make any changes until there was about 6 minutes left in the season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Losing was always within the realm of possibility, but were we not told by the experts time and time again -- right here on this site -- that based on this year's regular season outcome between the Pens & Islanders:

a. We really had the Isles' number, their boring trapping ultra-defensive style was no longer effective against us because we had "figured out" the perfect way to beat it consistently.

b. It was ever so cute that Trotz was going to try to make some "adjustments", but the poor guy might as well just beat his head against the wall because there was so little chance that those adjustments would work.

c. Don't bother bringing up 2019 -- that was 2 years ago and this Penguins team now is so much different (and so much better!) than that one was.

Based on all of the above it was a relief that we didn't need to worry about changing one single thing from the regular season approach to the Islanders, because our coach doesn't understand tricky things like "matchups" or "adjustments". Things that work well in January always work exactly the same in the playoffs, don't they?

That relief lasted until it turned out we really did need to adjust, and we couldn't because it would be effeminate or something to be anything other than rigidly stubborn and refuse to make any changes until there was about 6 minutes left in the season.
I love this post.

ca7ae3b8b1b0b70df685f7bc24a000a2.gif

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

Are you implying mixing up the lines would have magically fixed anything? We played the same way with a different team and got swept by the Islanders. The issues are systematic and that's not something that can be fixed on the fly. It has to be one of these 3 things...

1) Sully is too hard headed to switch things up. He wants to win his way and only his way.

2) Players don't want to play the way you need to play to win playoff games.

3) They run the only system that's winnable with a certain defensemen,

I think it's a combination of 1 and 3.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Are you implying mixing up the lines would have magically fixed anything? We played the same way with a different team and got swept by the Islanders. The issues are systematic and that's not something that can be fixed on the fly. It has to be one of these 3 things...

1) Sully is too hard headed to switch things up. He wants to win his way and only his way.

2) Players don't want to play the way you need to play to win playoff games.

3) They run the only system that's winnable with a certain defensemen,

I think it's a combination of 1 and 3.
And that is why the coach needs to go.

I think revamping the lines could have helped potentially, but maybe not with the bullshit shoot from the perimeter system with absolutely no one in front of the net.

BuT We DoMinaTeD ThEm. The glass behind the net and Sorokin’s chest were dominated. Must take low percentage shots so that we can blame the losses on not getting any bounces. The fans will believe it! (A lot still do)

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
And that is why the coach needs to go.

I think revamping the lines could have helped potentially, but maybe not with the bullshit shoot from the perimeter system with absolutely no one in front of the net.

BuT We DoMinaTeD ThEm. The glass behind the net and Sorokin’s chest were dominated. Must take low percentage shots so that we can blame the losses on not getting any bounces. The fans will believe it! (A lot still do)

That's what I'm saying we don't know all the details. If a certain player is being forced on Sully to play #1 minutes and the only winnable way to play with said player is more offensive and to hope to outscore teams. Because if they play more defensive then he's a huge liability and going to bleed goals. Then I can't really fault Sully and understand why he hasn't been fired after losing the same way 4 years in a row and not getting out the 2nd round.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I don't disagree with you, but those takes just weren't true then and they were proven false by the results of the series. The Isles were a team we needed to be concerned with, regardless of what people here thought.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not pulling Jarry after the 4th goal should have been grounds to fire Sully. I don’t think Jarry should have even started the game, but to not yank his sorry ass is inexcusable after some those crappy goals.

Reactions: Finesse

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
So Hextall decided to stand pat. No changes necessary. That is, no REAL changes.

Sully is staying.

The "core" of 87-71-58 isn't going anywhere.

Jarry "will come back better in September".

I'm deeply, deeply disappointed.

This club's management is wasting their and our time trying to beat the dead horse, trying to squeeze at least a few drops of water from the well that went dry years ago.

Nobody is going to pay for the pathetic failures of 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Nobody is going to pay for the toothless and gutless performance this year.

That is, nobody except us, the fans, who paid with our nerve cells and grey hairs.

I said it after the loss to Caps in 2018, and I said it last summer, and I said it before the latest Isles series, and I'll say again: Penguins will never win anything again with this "core".

PENGUINS WILL NEVER WIN ANYTHING AGAIN WITH THIS "CORE"

They never were good leaders in the playoffs, even when they were in their prime, definitely not after their first Cup in 2009. After that win hungry, explosive, insatiable young wolves turned themselves into rich, complacent, spoiled, moody, self-assured narcissistic poodles.

And now, as they are ageing, they are becoming even less efficient and capable of leading the team anywhere but into yearly disgraces in early rounds.

Have you seen Crosby becoming a ghost in the playoffs for 4 straight years?

Have you seen him playing and producing like a 4th liner for the first half of this regular season?

Have you seen him taking every other game off in the second half?

Have you seen him produce 2 points in 6 games in this series?

Have you seen the montage of clips of Adam Pelech eating him alive without ketchup or mustard, completely shutting down his every move? And Crosby succumbing sheepishly, without a peep? What a captain, what a leader!

Have you seen Malkin being totally absent for the first half of the season?

Have you seen him deciding to take a half-season long vacation after he had a couple of half-decent games in the middle of the season? He got really tired by that point, for sure.

Have you seen him taking - traditionally - tons of stupid penalties and blown defensive coverages in this series and letting the team down?

Have you seen him being a clown on PP in every game he played?

Have you seen him being absolutely ineffective and unproductive when the team needed it most - like, in OT of G5, or in the 3rd period of G6?

The list of questions could go on and on.

Bottom line is obvious:

Penguins need to start building a new team for the future TODAY.

And it must start with acquiring as many assets as possible for ageing and no longer relevant veteran pieces.

Mr Hextall!

PENGUINS WILL NEVER WIN ANYTHING AGAIN WITH THIS "CORE"

Stop wasting time and start building a new team for tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad