Penguins Off-Season Thread: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Staal family has always been incredibly religious. Cullen was too.

The Staal Brothers' Hockey Dynasty is One Built on Faith

But to the point of saying this?

Jordan Staal said:
Hockey was my identity. Sure, it pushed me to be the player I was, but it still left me empty. I made the NHL and won that Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh, fulfilling all the dreams I could ever think of, but I remember waking up a week later and realizing, ‘that’s it?’... Hockey is an unbelievable sport and something that has obviously been a big part of my life, but it’s not all me; it’s not something I live for. I live for God, and hockey is definitely something that I want to give God the glory for.

"We are all trying to fill that certain hole,” he says, adding no matter how hard you search, only God can fill that void, “and that’s definitely something that I’ve tried to nurture by filling it with Jesus. Hockey is an unbelievable sport and something that has obviously been a big part of my life, but it’s not all me; it’s not something I live for. I live for God, and hockey is definitely something that I want to give God the glory for.”
The Staal Brothers' Hockey Dynasty is One Built on Faith
He changed and wanted out, no clue why but he was never going to re-sign in Pittsburgh regardless of what they offered him. I believe the Pens actually matched the offer and he still wanted out. All Eric says that he does his readings and hangs out with his Church homies, etc.

I do find it hilarious that these are the 2 that were arrested in 2007 and Jordan was also in trouble for under aged drinking.

Religious nuts are always off putting to me.

I guess God continues to fill his "void" in Carolina, now with an amazing presence like Tony D'Angelo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He changed and wanted out, no clue why but he was never going to re-sign in Pittsburgh regardless of what they offered him. I believe the Pens actually matched the offer and he still wanted out. All Eric says that he does his readings and hangs out with his Church homies, etc.

I do find it hilarious that these are the 2 that were arrested in 2007 and Jordan was also in trouble for under aged drinking.

I guess God continues to fill his "void" in Carolina, now with an amazing presence like Tony D'Angelo.

I’m not sure why underage drinking is against being religious. I dunno man. Weird takes all around above.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Idk man, weird post.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Just by way of clarification and strategically ignoring all the religious stuff... Shero offered that insano deal first. Staal turned it down. JR offered him the identical deal once he was shipped to Carolina. He simply didn't want to be here.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I used to laugh at religious people.

Then I graduated college.

Live & let live.
It's not a huge deal, some people need it, enjoy it and benefit from it and that's fine. It's just that 2000 years isn't even that long ago and we have historical and archaeological records from that period and everything.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Sid seems pretty into Jaysus (Megna) himself honestly.

I'm not a believer but I think I want my team's athletes to...I dunno, think a higher power is helping them out? Any bit of confidence helps.

Eh, the abyss will be gazing back.
What when things aren’t going well, you want players to think their God is punishing or hating on them?

Seems more durable to me for players to rely on their own effort and desire.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
What when things aren’t going well, you want players to think their God is punishing or hating on them?

I generally find religious people to be more optimistic and harder-working.

I wish this wasn't true, because I'm not in that category. Shrug.

Then again, maybe not posting on HF at 1:35AM on a Friday night would help me out. (Hits 'Post Reply)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I've met some religious people who've taken wonderful amounts of comfort from the idea that God is helping them and will see them through a dark time to good times again, and don't see punishment or hatred at all. Sometimes I wonder about the logic of it but what I think isn't the point really - just that there doesn't seem to be a flip side of the coin for many.

edit: Which is not to say I think it particularly helps them. Just don't see a downside either. Whatever a player believes in will only take them so far as their own mental strengths anyway.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He signed with Carolina because of family reasons and his weird pivot into being a bible thumper and wanting to be a top 6C. But mostly because he got a taste of being a top 6 C during injuries and thought he deserved that chance in Carolina near family, boy that didn't work out the way he thought. He was the right fit on a team that he was made to be on.

I wasn't kidding about the Jesus stuff, the bloke literally talks about it in various interviews about his faith and how his identity is in Jesus. There's a saying about don't put your something in crazy, Jordan did and I hate to even go there, but I can't come to any other conclusion than that given how he talks about stuff like that.

In any case, he's never sniffed anything remotely close to how good he was in Pittsburgh ever since. But boy that rookie year he was playing wing and scored 29, always fun to remember. But he was always a C after that. I can't imagine the Pens forcing him to play wing at all and that's why he left. At that point Sid & Geno both missed significant times during seasons and the lack of C depth was very apparently without those 2 and only Jordan around. I don't buy some winger narrative. I remember it was discussed, but each time you saw Jordan play, he always reminded you why he should be a Center.

That one Detroit game will always stick out to me.

Crosby crosses himself before every game, his family is Catholic, and I am pretty sure Malkin is Orthodox, at least nominally. It’s amazing how shocked people online can be about people actually not being secular materialists, even though 99.99% of documented human history is religious. Your post is bigoted.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Don't know how anyone could do even a modicum of research into any of the major religions and just be like "yeah this shit is real."

I don’t know how anyone could dismiss thousands of years of theology and philosophy, and many more of ritual and cult behaviour, because they did a modicum of online research. But I guess if you start with the assumption that everybody before 19th century Germany was stupid you might have to go there.

Reactions: Fordy

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don’t know how anyone could dismiss thousands of years of theology and philosophy, and many more of ritual and cult behaviour, because they did a modicum of online research. But I guess if you start with the assumption that everybody before 19th century Germany was stupid you might have to go there.
all the world's greatest thinkers who debated and explored the most fundamental questions of humanity for thousands of years were epically pwned by a bunch of guys trying to sell books in the 2000s, and the pwnage was so epiccc that i dont have to do any thinking of my own and can just sit and sneer at anyone that ever professes a belief in god even if they're vastly more successful than me

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Those thousands of years are often in sharp disagreement with each other though. Reaching a place where one disagrees with religion can be as much about looking at those thousands of years and not being able to reconcile them to the point of believing in any one thing as anything else.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t say anything about theism in a broad sense.
can just sit and sneer at anyone that ever professes a belief in god even if they're vastly more successful than me
Uhh, what?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Those thousands of years are often in sharp disagreement with each other though. Reaching a place where one disagrees with religion can be as much about looking at those thousands of years and not being able to reconcile them to the point of believing in any one thing as anything else.

The post didn’t say “I disagree with a certain worldview” the post said “it’s obvious that all major religion is dumb.” Which is absurd.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
the entire tone of the last 2 pages is "can you believe jordan staal is a devout christian"
Yeah but are you saying he’s successful in life because he’s a devout Christian? And less successful people can’t criticize or critique more successful people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad