Penguins Off-Season Thread: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The advertisements can't be any more garish and ugly than some jerseys we've seen. The Dallas Stars' uterus, the weird Ducks jersey, any version of the blue Penguins jerseys, the weird black Isles jerseys, etc.

It's whatever. I'd rather it didn't happen, but... /shrug

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I remember Jeff Taffe, another guy in a long line of nobodies that came up from WBS, got hot for a bit, was tried on Sids wing and did nothing and then faded into oblivion. Fun times though

And he had the classic horseshoe balding pattern when he was like 24... never trusted the guy since

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Bombulie was on the Fan the other day and said the lesson to learn from our Cup runs, and what's happening now in the NHL, is not about size but good goaltending. I 100% agree. All this talk of heavy is the same stuff the league hears every few years from people who like playing that way and like managing teams that way. What we need is not size, but a few more guys who play a hard game. You can be average size and do that. Like our Cup teams.

The truth is that we've had terrible goaltending for three years in a row, and all over issues pale in comparison IMO.

Reactions: vodeni

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Advertise to me and you lose my business.

It's my job to be difficult and damn it, I'm good at it.

I'm only half serious here...but the other half is so ****ing fed up with the endless advertising that I wish I wasn't.

I mean, I get it. Business is bad, sponsorship bux, etc. But I think the league should only allow businesses with a humorous name or sell something insane like ionically charged crystal dog collars to advertise on the uniforms.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You ever see Wayne Simmonds' legs? Dude's calves are the size of a normal person's wrists. :laugh:

Jágr and Crosby are built like freestyle wrestlers who took up hockey on a dare. :laugh: They're kind of rare though. Lots of hockey dudes rock the Sweet Dee legs. Like Simmonds.

Sounds like the next Marvel franchise

From the studio that brought you Howard the Duck II: Baby Got Quack, it's the next installment in summer "fun". Old Man Wolverine : Dad Bod Origins.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, I get it. Business is bad, sponsorship bux, etc. But I think the league should only allow businesses with a humorous name or sell something insane like ionically charged crystal dog collars to advertise on the uniforms.

We should get the Yukon Territory in Canada to advertise on the Pens jerseys

“How do you do the D?”

yukon-the-d-01-2016.jpg

yukon-vitamin-d-ad.jpg

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Corporate America thanks you for your compliance and Amazon reminds you not to turn off the Sidewalk "feature" on your Alexa.

I don't like it (or Amazon) any more than you do, but the NHL itself is a corporate product. Unless you're planning on leading hockey fans in a proletarian revolution, after a certain point, you just have to get over the ads and watch the games.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I don't like it (or Amazon) any more than you do, but the NHL itself is a corporate product. Unless you're planning on leading hockey fans in a proletarian revolution, after a certain point, you just have to get over the ads and watch the games.
I hear what you're saying, but hell, we bitch endlessly in these forums about coaching and management decisions we don't like with total impotence. We're not changing anything, but those discussions will certainly continue. So I don't apologize for sharing my misgivings that beautiful hockey sweaters could be becoming more like garish soccer billboard shirts. And while I admit it is pretty much irrelevant, the NHL is a 501(C)(6) nonprofit/tax-exempt organization. Most of the organizing teams are LLCs, and more akin to businesses fwiw. In any case, I will attempt to exercise self-restraint with respect to this development even though I kind of dig your idea of a proletarian revolution! ;)

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Corporate America thanks you for your compliance and Amazon reminds you not to turn off the Sidewalk "feature" on your Alexa.
Sidewalk feature scares tf out of me.

I worked on a military base that housed the DIA... and they were basically the data gophers of the world / net... you know what scares me.... is that more people willingly give amazon / google pretty much their entire life story / current happenings kind of information. I wonder how much of my life (or anyone of us) they can reconstruct if they type my name into a query. I wonder if the 'average' person knows that every single app you open sells that information about you.... sidewalk just icing on the crazy cake.

Corporations are evil rotten disgusting entities, no doubt, but what really swept the rug from under peoples feet... television.
Changed the world.

-----
How the hell did I end up talking about this .....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t even follow any hockey or sports related twitter accounts but look who graced my timeline today.

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
It behooves me to see western fans like you lot would pooh-pooh on kit sponsorship, an apotheosis of capitalism in sports.

If anything it should be the communist Chinaman in me that detests the league’s decision. But I do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad