Pre-Game Talk: Penguins match-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I see guys Kelly being big in this series.

They needs to get in front of the net and get some garbage goals.

On of the thing that I think can beat the Penguins is how deep Boston is. Every line is a threat, and I think that puts us even against their top end talent.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
so is everyone but Ferrence 100% now with the week off??

Where we at health wise??

Seids looked like a wreck in Game 5 vs Rangers, is he back up to health? We need this guy.

Pretty sure Seids has had an injury all season (groin??). I hope he is OK as he is a difference maker when he is healthy.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
No way, the Pens will lose this series in 5. The Bruins are much more battle tested than the Pens. If the Pens are so dymanic as you say, why haven`t they won a cup since 09, and please explain to me how they got lit up by philly last year while we swept philly the previous year. We got this.

Team matchups are not universal. Team A can suck against team B but crush team C regularly. Team C can crush team B regularly... A small fast team might give a big slow defensive team fits, but a medium sized, physical, average speed team may destroy tthat smaller team, yet be outmuscled and shut down by the larger, slow team.

year to year favorable matchups change. For instance, When the Pens were short on wingers, teams that could contain their superstar centers were kryptonite to them.
since crosby and malkin have been hurt a lot the last few years the pens have added more offensive players to compensate.

The last two years teams like toronto and the flyers and isles that had a glut of speed, offense, and didnt play conseravtively tend to give them trouble. teams that play defensive first tend to give them less trouble. In just 3 years the description of what the worse matchup for the Pens has been has dramatically changed.

Teams adjust their makeup to strengthen weaknesses, which sometimes creates different weaknesses.. its an ongoing process...

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
If the Bruins Jump out and take two in Pitt. Which i think would be very difficult. I think The Pens panic and we can win in 5. If the series goes back n forth I think we win in 7 mainly because the physical nature of our game wears them down. Plus this team never quits.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I'm sitting here in Prague right now (it's 7:35pm here)...across the street from a restaurant with "hockey" in the name, skates and pictures of young Jagr:naughty: in the front window...so for some reason this makes me vote for Bruins in 7 games:handclap:
...will be live streaming game 1 tomorrow night from Galway(at 1am local time :nod:). Let's go B's:handclap:

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm sitting here in Prague right now (it's 7:35pm here)...across the street from a restaurant with "hockey" in the name, skates and pictures of young Jagr:naughty: in the front window...so for some reason this makes me vote for Bruins in 7 games:handclap:
...will be live streaming game 1 tomorrow night from Galway(at 1am local time :nod:). Let's go B's:handclap:

No Krejci? No respeck

67coach

Mar 7, 2009
Detroit MI
Just wanted to drop on by and wish you guys all the very best in the upcoming series. The Bruins have always been my favorite Eastern Conference team (Unfortunately that will change next season) and I couldn't think of a team more destined to win a cup that the Bruins are this season. I know they will do Boston and the Original 6 proud.

Go Bruins :handclap::handclap:

Cow_Master66

Nov 13, 2003
Team matchups are not universal. Team A can suck against team B but crush team C regularly. Team C can crush team B regularly... A small fast team might give a big slow defensive team fits, but a medium sized, physical, average speed team may destroy tthat smaller team, yet be outmuscled and shut down by the larger, slow team.

year to year favorable matchups change. For instance, When the Pens were short on wingers, teams that could contain their superstar centers were kryptonite to them.
since crosby and malkin have been hurt a lot the last few years the pens have added more offensive players to compensate.

The last two years teams like toronto and the flyers and isles that had a glut of speed, offense, and didnt play conseravtively tend to give them trouble. teams that play defensive first tend to give them less trouble. In just 3 years the description of what the worse matchup for the Pens has been has dramatically changed.

Teams adjust their makeup to strengthen weaknesses, which sometimes creates different weaknesses.. its an ongoing process...

Yep - all matchups...

Look no further than the B's almost losing to the Leafs in round 1....

Republic*

My vote goes to the Bruins just packing up their equipment and not playing. According to 85% of Pens' fans, they've essentially already won and the Bruins are just straight up effed because Malkin is feeling good.

So. Let's just get it over with and hand Pittsburgh the PoW trophy now.

I love being the underdog in this series!

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
I had a dream that Cooke was pulling his antics with someone, and Looch grabbed him for a good, but short-lived pummelage.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Nice city !!! We loved it there.

See you June 7th !!

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Quaider took a dirty hit from cooke in the last Pens/ B's game in Boston.

I bet Adam hasn't forgoten. Better keep your head up cooke :naughty:

That was the mistake Mad Mike Milbury made. He went after Ulf. Isles figured it out a year later, and Darius Kasparitus went after Mario. You go after Crosby and Malkin, you gain nothing by going after Cooke. Unless it's regular season.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
That was the mistake Mad Mike Milbury made. He went after Ulf. Isles figured it out a year later, and Darius Kasparitus went after Mario. You go after Crosby and Malkin, you gain nothing by going after Cooke. Unless it's regular season.

Agree 100%, waste your time targeting Cooke in the regular season if you want to exact that kind of "justice". This series you target Crosby and Malkin, try to catch them with their head down as hard as that may be and just pound them all series. Not gonna lie I would love to see a Gryba-Eller type hit, still feel it was a clean hit despite the suspension.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Agree 100%, waste your time targeting Cooke in the regular season if you want to exact that kind of "justice". This series you target Crosby and Malkin, try to catch them with their head down as hard as that may be and just pound them all series. Not gonna lie I would love to see a Gryba-Eller type hit, still feel it was a clean hit despite the suspension.

A Nice BIG hit to start game 1 and the series on the bruins End.

"Eff you, and the nhl"

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
So which pairing was the equivalent to Chara-Seidenberg?

Because Karlsson only had one good leg and Methot couldn't carry Seidenberg's can.

Methot > Seidenberg this year.

He was the best defensive defenseman on a team that finished ahead of Boston in GA.

Karlsson-Methot were a very good pair in the regular season and against Montreal. In 5 games, they were on ice for 2 goals against (including ES, PP, PK).

Statistically, they were better than Chara-Seidenberg, but that maybe due to Anderson. C-S are a better defensive pairing, but the difference isn't as big as you think it is.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Methot > Seidenberg this year.

He was the best defensive defenseman on a team that finished ahead of Boston in GA.

Karlsson-Methot were a very good pair in the regular season and against Montreal. In 5 games, they were on ice for 2 goals against (including ES, PP, PK).

Statistically, they were better than Chara-Seidenberg, but that maybe due to Anderson. C-S are a better defensive pairing, but the difference isn't as big as you think it is.

I dunno guy. If someone gave me the option of Chara-Seidenberg or Karlsson-Methot to shutdown Crosby or Malkin, I'm taking Z and Seids 100% of the time.

IrishBruin

Mar 17, 2011
Recife, Brasil

Enjoy Galway. Always liked Tigh Neachtains. You should check it out. Good live music. Although it has been a few years so it may have changed. Hope not cos I'll be back in Galway this summer.

Hearing you watching a game at that time reminds me when I moved back home for a few weeks and was streaming the Bruins Canucks series at 4 in the morning. Neighbours thought I had lost it screaming at the tv that early in the morning

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I liked the Penguins better when I saw them the first time around...when they were called the Canucks..Bruins can't beat skill...they can just beat them up instead and break their will.

Problem is, refs and the Commish are in Cyndee's pocket. Will only take a couple shifts by him where he is knocked around to whine like only he can....and the Bruins will be whistled every single time.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I liked the Penguins better when I saw them the first time around...when they were called the Canucks..Bruins can't beat skill...they can just beat them up instead and break their will.

Problem is, refs and the Commish are in Cyndee's pocket. Will only take a couple shifts by him where he is knocked around to whine like only he can....and the Bruins will be whistled every single time.

This is what concerns me. I am worried that whatever physical game Boston tries to bring will be completely neutered by the refs looking out for the stars and prima donnas on the other team.

I think it's safe to say that, for once, the Bruins' PK must be absolutely PERFECT in this series. Otherwise, it will be a short few games.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My vote goes to the Bruins just packing up their equipment and not playing. According to 85% of Pens' fans, they've essentially already won and the Bruins are just straight up effed because Malkin is feeling good.

So. Let's just get it over with and hand Pittsburgh the PoW trophy now.

I love being the underdog in this series!

I have it on good authority that Looch is feeling REAL good too :D !!! B's in 7

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I had a dream that Cooke was pulling his antics with someone, and Looch grabbed him for a good, but short-lived pummelage.

I have a dream that cooke trys to run a good player ( like he is known to do) and takes himself out...for a very long time:yo:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The X-Factor in this series will be....

Mike Milbury.

When the Bruins win Game 1 and Crosby and Mario start pulling the Vigneault/Gillis routine, Milbury will be the one guy to go on TV and point out that they are babies, then everyone will talk about Milbury, then by Game 4 the refs will be ignoring the whining because everyone has to agree that the crazy guy from the television is actually right, and then the Bruins win in 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad