Pre-Game Talk: Penguins in Boston | 7:30 EST Wed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
What does DK want? Dumo and Letang's pairs will play the majority of the game. You don't split up two good+ pairs to make three average pairs because you're afraid of Ian "better than Despres - Dejan Kovacevic" Cole.

Right or wrong, at this point, I see DK as an extension of the Pens PR. Or maybe, more accurately, that he's reflecting the views of the front office.

ZeroHero

Dec 3, 2010
Tz7fqnD.gif

Need a strong game from Kessel tonight.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
well at the time......it was a good deal for us.

I'm not so sure of that, even with Cole's level of play at the time. We got a lot smaller and less physical on the back end by losing him and Despres. I don't know if that was necessarily a good thing. It's not like Bortuzzo wasn't mobile either.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm not so sure of that, even with Cole's level of play at the time. We got a lot smaller and less physical on the back end by losing him and Despres. I don't know if that was necessarily a good thing. It's not like Bortuzzo wasn't mobile either.

Bortuzzo wasn't the same physical player after the Jagr suspension, and idk if that's comeback. They won the trade last season and now it looks like no one won but the Pens have a contract they'll probably need to move.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This is the same as always without Malkin. If Pens can get the bounces that go in they win, if they are not getting bounces they lose.

Could win this game 6-2 could lose it 2-1.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Bortuzzo wasn't the same physical player after the Jagr suspension, and idk if that's comeback. They won the trade last season and now it looks like no one won but the Pens have a contract they'll probably need to move.

He wasn't the same player to be sure, but he was still physical. I dunno... I just think we lost something on that deadline day, and it's something that is sorely missing when we play the top tier of teams in the East.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah, Despres. The top 4 quality physical, mobile defenseman with size.

I dunno man... Bortuzzo as our #6 right now would look good too. He has his shortcomings, but I'd rather take his with his style of play, than have Cole right now. Especially for their cap hits. If both of those trades never happen, or defense looks a lot better, is bigger and more physical, and is cheaper.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I dunno man... Bortuzzo as our #6 right now would look good too. He has his shortcomings, but I'd rather take his with his style of play, than have Cole right now. Especially for their cap hits. If both of those trades never happen, or defense looks a lot better, is bigger and more physical, and is cheaper.

The price is the definite thing, Bortuzzo wouldn't have that contract. The big thing is always Despres, he was the the real, concrete and tangible loss. Who knows if Bortuzzo would even be playing right now or how they'd have managed to **** up with him, because I do think they screwed up with Cole this season and are now stuck trying to deal with it. As they tend to do.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The price is the definite thing, Bortuzzo wouldn't have that contract. The big thing is always Despres, he was the the real, concrete and tangible loss. Who knows if Bortuzzo would even be playing right now or how they'd have managed to **** up with him, because I do think they screwed up with Cole this season and are now stuck trying to deal with it. As they tend to do.

Yeah, they might have messed up with Bortuzzo, but he never really had the potential that Cole had either. They already knew what he was. A 6'4" bottom pairing defenseman with a physical edge. I have more faith in this team now with Sullivan though than I ever did with Johnston, or Bylsma before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad