Friedman: Penguins have "tested the market" for Kessel

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Anyone who knows anything about hockey and watches Kessel play instead of stats watching knows hes a very overrated player. Hes the type of player who can fall off a cliff (sspecially when not surrounded by elite stars) and become a useless hockey player.

This is an extremely lazy narrative.

Kessel Looked good in Toronto when he was being centered by Tyler bozak. Is he a 90 point player on a bad team? No. Much like everyone else that isnt a mcdavid/crosby type, their production suffers when they play with worse people. that isnt rocket science. But 6.8 for a 60-70 point winger still a decent (at worst) contract.

Reactions: Freedom

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think teams like Edmonton have the assets to pull off Kessel, off the top of my head, I'd say all of these are issues on the roster right now:

1. Puck moving top-4 RD
2. Defensive top-4 LD in the mold of Dumoulin
3. Strong 2-way 3C that fits what the Penguins need better than Brassard
4. Better starting goalie
5. Right handed scoring top-6 RWer if Kessel gets traded
6. A 2-way top-9 LWer
7. Prospects and picks in general

With these issues, the Pens can fill some of these issues with young players, like Pettersson filling #2, Riikola filling #1 and ZAR filling #6. Getting guys like Brassard, Murray and Rust playing to their standards fills #3, #4 and #5 (Rust isn't a scorer but he should be a 40 point player in the top-6). The Penguins on paper don't have many problems with their roster, or at least problems where you'd have to trade Kessel to fix. The only ones here that I think you could see Kessel moved for are a puck moving top-4 RD and a scoring top-6 RWer, with maybe a strong 3C being an option if the 3C is a really nice asset.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone who knows anything about hockey and watches Kessel play instead of stats watching knows hes a very overrated player. Hes the type of player who can fall off a cliff (especially when not surrounded by elite stars) and become a useless hockey player.

I genuinely can't believe people are allowed to post such stupid stuff on this website. This website really needs to add mods to delete clearly troll posts like these.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
How many times has Kessel been rumored to be traded in just the last 2 years?

No disrespect to Friedman, who in my eyes is 2nd to only McKenzie, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Kessel is still elite, and has a crazy ironman streak so doesn't really get hurt either. He likely has a good 3-4 years of high level play left. If he does get traded it will be because Sullivan is forcing him out.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Friedman throwing stuff against the wall again? Hes almost as bad as Eklund sometimes .

I'm not a big Freidman fan, but this a big exaggeration.

Elkund's rep was perfectly illustrated during the Nylander deadline:

5 mins before deadline Elkund tweet: sources say Nylander is sitting out rest of year"

4 mins before deadline Dregger tweet: "Nylander has signed his deal"

3 mins before deadline Elkund tweet: "my gut is he's signing though"

Again, regardless of what you think of Freidman, it's wrong to put him in a category with Elkund.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel is still elite, and has a crazy ironman streak so doesn't really get hurt either. He likely has a good 3-4 years of high level play left. If he does get traded it will be because Sullivan is forcing him out.

Sullivan isn't forcing Kessel out of Pittsburgh, if Kessel gets traded, it's likely for cap reasons or depth reasons.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think Kessel for one of Nashville’s top 4 makes sense, but I also think that cuts into Nashville’s identity too much. Not afraid of messing with success but not sure I’d go that far either, were I them. Maybe for one of Carolina’s D? Pens and Canes have a bit of a trading history.

If Nashville trades a top 4 defenseman for Kessel we suddenly have Arvidsson, Forsberg, Fiala, Smith(consistent 20G 50P guy), Kessel and Tolvanen for four top 6 winger spots and only three of Subban, Josi, Ekholm and Ellis to fill out the top 4. I don't think Nashville's a fit at all.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This is an extremely lazy narrative.

Kessel Looked good in Toronto when he was being centered by Tyler bozak. Is he a 90 point player on a bad team? No. Much like everyone else that isnt a mcdavid/crosby type, their production suffers when they play with worse people. that isnt rocket science. But 6.8 for a 60-70 point winger still a decent (at worst) contract.

Theres more aspects to hockey than simply just production.. Kessel hurts you in all the other aspects of the game other than offensive production. On top of that hes not an offensive driver (meaning he needs to be given the puck to make something happen) so hes the type of player who could easily hit a sharp decline if he gets traded to the wrong team.

For a player like Kessel to flourish he needs to be surrounded extremely well and play in a system that supports him, you basically have to cater around his playstyle. He's the type of player that needs to be babysat in order for him to be at his best. Put him in the wrong situation and his game will decline in a hurry, I can promise you that much. What are you left with afterwards? Not much. There's always a big risk when trading for a player like Kessel.

I do hope he gets moved so HF could laugh about the Pens getting "fleeced", when in reality Kessel is simply the type of player who GMs just don't value very highly. Teams nowadays are moving away from Spezza/Kessel-esque players. The games changing.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Theres more aspects to hockey than simply just production.. Kessel hurts you in all the other aspects of the game other than offensive production. On top of that hes not an offensive driver (meaning he needs to be given the puck to make something happen) so hes the type of player who could easily hit a sharp decline if he gets traded to the wrong team.

For a player like Kessel to flourish he needs to be surrounded extremely well and play in a system that supports him, you basically have to cater around his playstyle. He's the type of player that needs to be babysat in order for him to be at his best. Put him in the wrong situation and his game will decline in a hurry, I can promise you that much. What are you left with afterwards? Not much. There's always a big risk when trading for Kessel-esque players.

I do hope he gets moved so HF could laugh about the Pens getting "fleeced", when in reality Kessel is simply the type of player who GMs just don't value very highly. Teams nowadays are moving away from Spezza/Kessel-esque players. The games changing.

Wait, you mean theres more to hockey than just scoring goals? Please, tell me more. I feel like i'm really going to learn something new here today.

Kessel is overrated. I'll agree with that. But the notion that no other GM would want him is, if im being honest - moronic. Would no one want Patrick Laine? He doesnt do much if hes not scoring goals. How about JVR? Despite me being indifferent about the contract, there was reportedly multiple teams interested in signing him, and hes a pretty good floater when not scoring goals.

Again, its a lazy narrative and poor opinion if you really think Kessel isnt a good player, which was your original assertion. Flawed, sure. But far from 'not good'.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Ok come on. The guy's job is to report on trade discussions and he's one of the most connected insiders in the league. Sometimes the trades don't happen, sometimes they do. Just because they don't, doesn't mean teams didn't discuss things. They're always talking, making offers, etc. And Kessel being a trade chip makes a ton of sense. The Pens have been lagging and they have holes in the lineup that they can address via trade. The GM has shown he's willing to shake things up. This shouldn't be controversial at all.

It's dumb. If you get salty about top insiders speculating on trades I have no idea what you're even doing here, a message board titled TRADE RUMORS AND FREE AGENT TALK.
woof, relax guy, it was joke, if you read what I actually said you might be able to see that.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wait, you mean theres more to hockey than just scoring goals? Please, tell me more. I feel like i'm really going to learn something new here today.

Kessel is overrated. I'll agree with that. But the notion that no other GM would want him is, if im being honest - moronic. Would no one want Patrick Laine? He doesnt do much if hes not scoring goals. How about JVR? Despite me being indifferent about the contract, there was reportedly multiple teams interested in signing him, and hes a pretty good floater when not scoring goals.

Again, its a lazy narrative and poor opinion if you really think Kessel isnt a good player, which was your original assertion. Flawed, sure. But far from 'not good'.

I didn't say no GM would want him, i said GMs don't value players like Kessel highly. Don't put words in my mouth. I'd rather have a player who produces less than Kessel but is still able to face tough matchups and actually not cost my team a goal when he's on the ice. Anyone with a brain would take 60 points from Bergeron over 80 points from Kessel.

But i guess Flyers fans must still think that Simmonds is a good hockey player so there's really not much to argue about here. Remember what i told your fanbase (especially Tripod) about Simmonds?

[
JvWKk5h.png

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Wild are a perfect fit. Kessel played at the U of MN and we desperately need a RH F who can play in our Top 6. We have plenty of pieces that would interest Pens, in theory at least.

Reactions: Freedom

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wild are a perfect fit. Kessel played at the U of MN and we desperately need a RH F who can play in our Top 6. We have plenty of pieces that would interest Pens, in theory at least.

I think the only way that a Kessel trade happens is if the Penguins somehow improve right now by making the trade, which is really tough to do with most teams. With the Wild, it basically has to be something like Spurgeon and Niederreiter/Coyle/Zucker for Kessel and Oleksiak/Maatta/Johnson. Would Minnesota do that? I wouldn't if I was Minny's GM.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I think the only way that a Kessel trade happens is if the Penguins somehow improve right now by making the trade, which is really tough to do with most teams. With the Wild, it basically has to be something like Spurgeon and Niederreiter/Coyle/Zucker for Kessel and Oleksiak/Maatta/Johnson. Would Minnesota do that? I wouldn't if I was Minny's GM.

"It would have to be this" "Would you do that?" "I wouldn't if i was Minny's GM"

thanks bud, glad to see what a well informed high quality HF post looks like.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

I think a deal around Nino/Spurgeon for Kessel/Maata makes sense. Probably favors PIT slightly as Nino would thrive with 87 and Spurgeon is a Top 30 D. But if I were Fenton Id consider it. Zucker-Staal-Granlund, Parise-Koivu-Kessel
Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Coyle is a great Top 9 amd wed still have Suter, Dumba, Brodin. How bad is Maatta?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I didn't say no GM would want him, i said GMs don't value players like Kessel highly. Don't put words in my mouth. I'd rather have a player who produces less than Kessel but is still able to face tough matchups and actually not cost my team a goal when he's on the ice. Anyone with a brain would take 60 points from Bergeron over 80 points from Kessel.

But i guess Flyers fans must still think that Simmonds is a good hockey player so there's really not much to argue about here. Remember what i told your fanbase (especially Tripod) about Simmonds?

[
JvWKk5h.png

Comparing Kessel to Bergeron - truly an accurate comparison, because you know... they both have the same roles on their teams. Like it or not - goal scorers get paid. People who can put the puck in the net are in high demand, and saying that those people "arent valued" is categorically a terrible opinion to have. James Neal got a nice UFA deal as a floating goal scorer. Likewise JVR, Vanek, Kovalchuk, and the others just like them that get overpaid in UFA because they can put the puck in the net. dont double down on a bad take. Accept it and move on.

I have yet to meet a Flyers fan who didn't expect Simmonds to age poorly. But thats because hes a completely different type of player than Kessel. I appreciate the strawman, though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
People always think that X fast player with mediocre hands would be perfect for McDavid... when it’s actually an elite one shot scorer like Kessel beside McDavid that makes me think happy thoughts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad