Salary Cap: Penguins future roster building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're probably right. If they hadn't made it past the first round again this year, it may have been different. But it's going to be argue Pitt is that much better of an opportunity to win now to outweigh the other factors.

I doubt it. I mean when healthy I still think Pittsburgh is the team with a better opportunity... but I don't think there's enough of a difference for it to matter. I mean maybe if Nashville was rebuilding, but they're almost a lock of the playoffs yearly, and that will likely be enough to keep him there. Honestly, that would probably be enough to keep most players in one place (assuming all else was equal).

I'm not sold on jumbo Joe being able to really grind at a 3C role, though, even if he came. He's be great in PP2, but I'd worry we wouldn't have anyone to play some of the harder minutes. Does he even PK? Who takes draws on PK?

Not worried about him being able to grind it. He's a possession monster, and someone that will keep the puck in the offensive zone and has the skill and ability to make that "3rd line" absolutely lethal.

Pretty sure that between Thornton, Rowney and Crosby that we'll have enough centers to man one of the PK units. Another option is to dress 2 centers on the 4th line. Either give it to Sundqvist or go sign a FA to let those 3 (Sundqvist, Rowney, FA) fight it out for 2 of the spots on the 4th line.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think Maatta is a bad player who is riding his perceived potential and a lack of organizational depth. I mean plainly: he sucks. Can't skate. Can't position. Can't pass. Can't receive passes. Can't shoot. Doesn't hit much. Little intensity. Not a leadership personality. Easily rattled. Filler. Pure filler. And at $4m per...yeesh. If they can somehow swing moving him for another Dman worth that money I'd be happy.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We aren't a fringe playoff team, there's zero reason not to see what we have in Pouliot for longer than 10 games before being sent down. I'd give him half the season, or close to it. Its time to find out so we can either get some production going forward or move on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Maatta is a bad player who is riding his perceived potential and a lack of organizational depth. I mean plainly: he sucks. Can't skate. Can't position. Can't pass. Can't receive passes. Can't shoot. Doesn't hit much. Little intensity. Not a leadership personality. Easily rattled. Filler. Pure filler. And at $4m per...yeesh. If they can somehow swing moving him for another Dman worth that money I'd be happy.

All of these are purely lies that you're just pulling out of your ass. His only issue is his skating.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Said it before. Id give pooh 20-30 games to see what we got. There were games last year where you could what we all want to see.

Beau looked awesome in those same games but it was obvious LA was trying to injure him.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Well we've always had or at least tried to have that top end 3rd center (who could be a #2 on other teams) throughout the Malkin/Crosby era.

I can't see them going away from that now.

If we lose Bonino, the Jordan Staal connection will come to an end. Staal to Sutter to Bonino.

Guentzel could be that guy eventually IMO but I wouldn't want to take him away from Crosby. Its something we might see a few years down the road though if we are struggling at 3C. By then maybe ZAR impresses so much that he slides into that LW spot on the first line.

To address the D I'd make a trade with Vegas.

No it won't, we still have Dumo and Pouliot that are connected to Jordan.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Maatta compared to Nashville's D men or the Ducks he is paid as a top 2 or 3 D man and can't carry their jock. Fowler makes less and is so much better. Really for what they gave him, he is vastly overpaid. Correct he is a beneficiary of a team making a decision on everything but his play.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not lies; the facts.

Okay, where's your evidence that Maatta has no leadership? Where's your evidence that Maatta has no drive? Where's your evidence that he can't pass? Where's your evidence that he doesn't hit? Where's your evidence that he can't position? You're just talking out of your ass and calling those "facts".

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

this is a terrible assessment of Olli Maatta.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Okay, where's your evidence that Maatta has no leadership? Where's your evidence that Maatta has no drive? Where's your evidence that he can't pass? Where's your evidence that he doesn't hit? Where's your evidence that he can't position? You're just talking out of your ass and calling those "facts".

Watching the games

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I get defending a total dismissal of Maatta - but defending his cap hit on a team like this is frankly illogical. On a night where he's not noticed, it's praise the lord - on a night where he turns the puck over or gets beaten to an icing that he's got 15 steps on someone to to begin with.. then it's he's the worst player alive. The bottom line here is he does not belong in this system, so either we slow the hell down or he and his 4M need to go in place of either some real defensive talent or some plugs who can skate and move the puck.

Then again - half of the board is ready to trade Hornqvist or Hagelin on a nightly basis. Perhaps people have an issue with speed and intensity?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I get defending a total dismissal of Maatta - but defending his cap hit on a team like this is frankly illogical. On a night where he's not noticed, it's praise the lord - on a night where he turns the puck over or gets beaten to an icing that he's got 15 steps on someone to to begin with.. then it's he's the worst player alive. The bottom line here is he does not belong in this system, so either we slow the hell down or he and his 4M need to go in place of either some real defensive talent or some plugs who can skate and move the puck.

Then again - half of the board is ready to trade Hornqvist or Hagelin on a nightly basis. Perhaps people have an issue with speed and intensity?
yet he's been the best d-man these playoffs on a team playing in the eastern conference finals right now.

I'm in no way against moving Maatta if we can get a good return and find a good replacement. He's not as good as I hoped he would be after his first year, but the idea that he's not a good player for us is just idiotic.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

While we'd want Olli's acceleration to improve. Our D doesn't rely on speed. It's good passing and good decisions which Maatta has that we need. The forwards have the speed and it's the D's job to get it to them in the right spots.

Maatta is one of the least scored on D in the league. Although everyone is tradable for the right deal.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Ah I see, your opinion is just more valid than everyone else's. Got it. I stand corrected, because you said so. I mean, you're wrong, but that's fine. Stats are on my side. The dude is the best on the team at not getting scored against and GF%. What evidence do you have?

Watching the games. That's the best evidence. I see him make stupid passes every game. See him shoot 5ft wide or 5ft over the goalies head practically every single shot. I see him get burned by the elderly on the regular. I see his lack of positioning forcing other players to bail him out. I see him botch receiving routine passes because he's rattled. He plays on a top Dline typically backing Crosby and Malkin line sso of course his nimbers aren't going to play out to his actual ability. You WANT him to be good. But he IS NOT. I can't help you here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Watching the games. That's the best evidence. I see him make stupid passes every game. See him shoot 5ft wide or 5ft over the goalies head practically every single shot. I see him get burned by the elderly on the regular. I see his lack of positioning forcing other players to bail him out. I see him botch receiving routine passes because he's rattled. He plays on a top Dline typically backing Crosby and Malkin line sso of course his nimbers aren't going to play out to his actual ability. You WANT him to be good. But he IS NOT. I can't help you here.

ok bud. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Maatta is 22. He is 5 years away from his prime. He is only going to get better and can still improve physically (skating). His best attribute is his brain, he has been through a lot at a young age and has gained a wealth of experience as part of a winning culture. He has a lot of value to us and around the league. If he leaves us we are getting a very good piece in return, probably a high end forward. If he stays, he will continue to get better. Again, he is not 35 and declining, the kid is 22, a baby for an NHL D. Letang was 22 when we won our cup in 2009.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
yet he's been the best d-man these playoffs on a team playing in the eastern conference finals right now.

I'm in no way against moving Maatta if we can get a good return and find a good replacement. He's not as good as I hoped he would be after his first year, but the idea that he's not a good player for us is just idiotic.

Our best d-man according to what? If you're going to strictly use statistics then you have already parked yourself on one side of the fence for arguments' sake.

That's also not saying a whole lot - we've been out shot practically every game these playoffs and have spent entirely too much time in our own zone. Our defense is not what this team is built upon, but has been mostly atrocious these playoffs. Are you saying he's the least smelly turd here? You can then consider that we've been physically out matched the first two series. With those considerations I'll give you Maatta and raise you Cole. Cole has been our best defender on the premise of his shot blocking and protection of MAF. I will not say that Maatta has been the worst (Hainsey by a country mile), but he VISUALLY looks terrible on most nights. Sometimes he has sequences where he cycles the puck and looks legitimate, but that's often negated by him struggling mightily over casual icings and board play. If his skating ability were going to be improved it would have already during his youth and plenty of time off. His board play and physical prowess just very well might improve - I'm just not sold on his abilities ever outweighing his inabilities. But hell, if you're a hockey scout then tip of the cap - I'm not.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Maatta has been our best guy recently. Cole was before that. Dumo has been the most consistent, however he has also been paired with the worst and on tough assignments. Schultz comes in next. Daley and Hainsey have been dumpster fires. Rudwedel has had limited time but has played really well.

I guess I get the Maatta hate, but I don't think he deserves to be treated like Kunitz. The kid truly needs to work on his stride more than anything. It's disgusting and sloppy, if he could fix that I think we would see a good increase in his speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad