Pre-Game Talk: Penguins@Flames 9:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The only explanation I can think of is that they view Bennett as a long term solution while Kunitz isn't, so they hold Bennett to a higher standard than Kunitz. They want Bennett to become better in weaker areas of his game because he's a long term fix here, but Kunitz will be gone soon. Idk, I'm just trying to rationalize why they're doing this to Beau and not to Sutter or Kunitz.

I think the actual reason's a lot simpler and more infuriating, and also explains just about every other stupid roster decision MJ's made, haha.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
What they're saying Bennett needs to work on makes total sense. How they're having him work on it doesn't make sense at all. How does scratching him make him better in board battles? The best place to work on that is in games. It's not like Bennett is a liability out there because of his board play.

I think the rationale is that by scratching him, it will make him that much hungrier when he gets back in the line-up

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The only explanation I can think of is that they view Bennett as a long term solution while Kunitz isn't, so they hold Bennett to a higher standard than Kunitz. They want Bennett to become better in weaker areas of his game because he's a long term fix here, but Kunitz will be gone soon. Idk, I'm just trying to rationalize why they're doing this to Beau and not to Sutter or Kunitz.

That may be true and all, but the Penguins cannot expect Bennett to play on his off-wing and carry Sutter around all the time. Sutter just isn't a productive player points-wise. The idea of a "scoring third line" won't exist as long as Sutter is the 3C. IMO Bennett is top 6 or bust.

LucSZ

Aug 10, 2014

I would love it if that was true. If Pens would be more willing to move Sutter or Kunitz than Beau. At the moment though, I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong.

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow

That's assuming that this lot is rational.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I think the rationale is that by scratching him, it will make him that much hungrier when he gets back in the line-up

Which is total ******** in the first place. It could also degrade his confidence, confuse him, make him lose game conditioning and timing, and ruin the good parts of his game.

And in the second place, getting scratched repeatedly (game 3, right?) isn't likely to have that effect any way. The shock & motivation has gone after the first scratch.

penguins2946*

I think the actual reason's a lot simpler and more infuriating, and also explains just about every other stupid roster decision MJ's made, haha.

Eh I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. It does make sense if they feel that way, I just kinda doubt they feel that way.

If he needs to work on board battles, just being hungrier wouldn't change that. It will make him more engaged, but I don't know if that would make them better.

That may be true and all, but the Penguins cannot expect Bennett to play on his off-wing and carry Sutter around all the time. Sutter just isn't a productive player points-wise. The idea of a "scoring third line" won't exist as long as Sutter is the 3C. IMO Bennett is top 6 or bust.

The problem is that Bennett isn't ready for a top-6 role, and we can't mask Bennett in the top-6 by putting him with Malkin and an actual top-6 LW. If we get Kane in the offseason, then yes, put Bennett with Malkin immediately.

I would love it if that was true. If Pens would be more willing to move Sutter or Kunitz than Beau. At the moment though, I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm hoping they're not as dumb as people here say and this is a rough draft of their plan. It makes sense, I'd assume they want him to play more like Perron.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I haven't watched In The Room in awhile so I decided to check it out. I honestly think the problem with Johnston is that he thinks his system can overcome personnel decisions and also quite honestly some of the players do not care.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Eh I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. It does make sense if they feel that way, I just kinda doubt they feel that way.

So long as Kunitz, Sutter, Adams, Scuds, Sill, etc are cemented in their roles to the detriment of the team I think the answer's staring us dead in the face, but I'm trying to stay open minded.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I haven't watched In The Room in awhile so I decided to check it out. I honestly think the problem with Johnston is that he thinks his system can overcome personnel decisions and also quite honestly some of the players do not care.

I think a common coaching problem is that the system is more important than the players in the system. When in reality, you need both the right system and the right players.

I think Johnston's system isn't as effective as it could be. NHL teams are too fast, and the system is too predictable. And I think Johnston's ability to make changes (see his "playoff-like" games with NYI or NYR) is drastically overstated particularly in-game.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i'm glad we're giving so much special attention to beau

he's been dragging the team down all year with his low compete level

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
On an unrelated to Bennett note, it would be nice if the Pens could take advantage of injuries to NYI (Okposo) and NYR (Lundqvist) and win some games. In addition to just being nice to win games and hopefully play better.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
So either:
1) GMJR is really working on a trade with Beau as bait (which given his recent injuries and performance means low trade value), or
2) Beau is somehow banged up again and org trying to shield him from backlash (which based on how much he's participating in practice seems unlikely)

So basically, there's no good reason. So wtf, srsly. :shakehead

Or 3) MJ isn't happy with Bennett's play recently, so he wants to scratch him to have him reset. I don't agree with him at all, just play him on his correct wing, but Bennett being scratched doesn't mean he's trade bait or hurt. Maybe MJ doesn't like what he sees from Beau, who knows.

According to DK

Johnston’s problem with Bennett is exactly what you think: They can’t ask all their wingers to play one way, then allow Bennett to dangle endlessly. At some point, even while playing his style — and he is more passer than shooter — he has to finish by getting to the crease or high slot.

That’s why he hasn't played, not because the coaches think Arcobello or Craig Adams are better forwards. They want Bennett to at least push for top-six duty. The standard is set differently for different types of players.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/02/06/friday-insider-time-running-low-trade-plan/

In other words, Bennett is getting scratched because he's not play the way the coaches are asking him to.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My query is this:

-if Beau is an "important player" here, one who NEEDS the reps in games and will be important come playoff time, then coaching while playing him is the best formula imo
-they have to be shopping him cuz if they aren't, we got a huge problem behind the bench

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
My query is this:

-if Beau is an "important player" here, one who NEEDS the reps in games and will be important come playoff time, then coaching while playing him is the best formula imo
-they have to be shopping him cuz if they aren't, we got a huge problem behind the bench

About Bennett, "We want to develop Beau. He's a good young player. He's going to be a key part of our organization, our team."

The team wants him to work on crashing the net, winning board battles, playing better in the dirty areas, and potentially being more responsible on defense.

Game time is apparently not necessary to work on those things, and being a healthy scratch for multiple games allows him (1) perspective on the game which he apparently can't get from game tape and (2) motivation to play better which requires being a healthy scratch for more than one game and which is only possible after being scratched.

Is Bennett still waiver-exempt? At least in WBS he'd be playing.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
So I guess that Cole´s "Beau was late to the meeting" rumor goes down the toilet now. He wouldn´t be a perennial healthy-scratch because of that. Johnston is obviously an idiot and liar but I just have to accept it...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Whilst they're getting Bennett to work on his "compete level" can they teach Sill to play hockey?

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Whilst they're getting Bennett to work on his "compete level" can they teach Sill to play hockey?

Well obviously that's why he's playing with Adams and is now getting PK time as well. Adams is mentoring him, showing him how to keep a job in NHL for 1000 games. Doesn't necessarily involve anything hockey related though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
According to DK

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/02/06/friday-insider-time-running-low-trade-plan/

In other words, Bennett is getting scratched because he's not play the way the coaches are asking him to.

This would be a lot more palatable Bennett weren't better at those things than most vets on the roster, and a good portion of the criticisms being downright bull ****.

How does Bennett "dangle endlessly"? He's a very good stickhandler, but he's also very efficient and purposeful. It's not like he's dipsy-doodling aimlessly until the puck's stripped.

Bennett wins more board battles most games than Sutter, Kunitz, and Adams combined. He's also a hell of a lot more willing to engage in those battles to begin with, rather than that trio who enter every 50/50 puck like they have an egg in each pocket.

It's nonsense.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Lets not blow things out of proportion. Board play is definitely a weakness in Beau's game. He's not a very strong guy, and not particularly fast. So he doesn't win many races to pucks and when he's engaged, he more often than not gets out muscled. I think there are some things that he could learn from Billy G about board play.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I always enjoyed the late night games, especially in the summer when the Buccos are on a west coast swing. You can have your whole day and then enjoy sports at the end.

Although I agree. We are playing like crap right now. The most I enjoyed this team were in the two Stanley Cup runs. I just felt the team had great structure. You knew what to expect and how they could play. Wins weren't guaranteed, but they'd battle and play within their structure. The Bylsma-era really tainted my love of this team. It reminded me of the late 90s where I felt the team was REALLY talented but structure lacked. You need to have a bought in system to win the Cup. You can't just out-talent your way to the Cup anymore. That **** was gone in the early 90s.

You nailed it. I'm just starting to realize how much the DB era has jaded me. Such a shame.

Those Cup teams were so hungry. They always had something to prove. Good fundamentals, and if they were down 2 or 3 goals you had better watch until the horn. I felt like the coaches held the players to a high standard, and the players did so with eachother. Now it feels like garbage is met with shrugs.

Every sloppy turnover and weak backcheck just saps a little more hope out of me.

According to DK

So, we need to change him into more of a grinder? Yes, we don't have enough low talent middling players.

I do think he has been a little tentative since coming back but this is the absolute wrong approach. He has played 40 damn games over the last 2 seasons. He needs playing time, not tutoring from guys who already have their hands full.

Eta: I just checked, he has 119 games over 4 years. So he is averaging less than 30 games per year. I have no problem with coaches trying to help him improve but do it in addition to playing, not instead of.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
This would be a lot more palatable Bennett weren't better at those things than most vets on the roster, and a good portion of the criticisms being downright bull ****.

How does Bennett "dangle endlessly"? He's a very good stickhandler, but he's also very efficient and purposeful. It's not like he's dipsy-doodling aimlessly until the puck's stripped.

Bennett wins more board battles most games than Sutter, Kunitz, and Adams combined. He's also a hell of a lot more willing to engage in those battles to begin with, rather than that trio who enter every 50/50 puck like they have an egg in each pocket.

It's nonsense.

That's whats nonsense. If anyone wants a prime example of confirmation bias. Right here.

Now obviously not saying the three amigos don't leave a lot to be desired especially this year along the boards but come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad