Confirmed with Link: Penguins Extend Rutherford Through 2021-22

turd

Feb 1, 2013

Sounds like it may be more than just Sprong for a pick or something.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sooo... what we are we paying Vegas for taking on salary for us this time? ;)

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Morehouse seems like one the biggest problems in this organization imo.

Rutherford's collection of players, before Sullivans promotion, wasn't a good team. Then Sullivan preached identity and gave JR a vector and JR did some good moves, that pan out.

Two years later, team looks more like the one JR assembled in the first year, with no identity, and Sullivan's stubbornes has been on full display over the years.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I really like this move. The old man obviously loves to win and is allergic to anything resembling a rebuild. He’ll continue to shake things up and make us competitive for the remainder of Sid and Geno’s year’s of stardom, and then leave us with literally zero future and a decade of darkness ahead of us. Just as I want it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think you and I have different definitions of "good". Paying Schultz $5.5 million after he had 1 good year isn't "good". Letting all of those guys walk in 2017. while not addressing the holes they left, isn't "good". The Brassard trade hasn't panned out at all, same with the Rust extension.

The Brassard trade was great. That it hasn't worked yet isn't on JR. On paper, you can't argue that move. It'd be like if Hossa had come here in 07-08 and bombed. Would you have blamed Shero? He still gave up jack shit for a very good asset, so on paper, a great move.

As for Schultz, 5.5 is basically market value for what he was doing. So hard to call it a bad deal.

Letting those guys walk was good. Bones would have been overpaid for what he did. Cullen walking was just bad luck. No way to assume he would decide at the last moment to go elsewhere. At best you can say JR should have had a better back up plan for Bones/Cullen walking, but I think his backup plan was Cullen and he didn't anticipate Cullen screwing him like that. It happens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Brassard trade was great. That it hasn't worked yet isn't on JR. On paper, you can't argue that move. It'd be like if Hossa had come here in 07-08 and bombed. Would you have blamed Shero? He still gave up jack **** for a very good asset, so on paper, a great move.

As for Schultz, 5.5 is basically market value for what he was doing. So hard to call it a bad deal.

Letting those guys walk was good. Bones would have been overpaid for what he did. Cullen walking was just bad luck. No way to assume he would decide at the last moment to go elsewhere. At best you can say JR should have had a better back up plan for Bones/Cullen walking, but I think his backup plan was Cullen and he didn't anticipate Cullen screwing him like that. It happens.

If there was an organisational confusion over whether Hossa was a C or a W the next year, then yeah, I'd have blamed Shero.

This is the thing with Brass. For the beginning, the organisation has looked unsure as to what they wanted from him and that escalated rapidly over the summer. There is no move so good that it can't be made bad through organisational dithering.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If there was an organisational confusion over whether Hossa was a C or a W the next year, then yeah, I'd have blamed Shero.

This is the thing with Brass. For the beginning, the organisation has looked unsure as to what they wanted from him and that escalated rapidly over the summer. There is no move so good that it can't be made bad through organisational dithering.

Isn't that more on Sullivan, though? JR got Brassard to be the 3c. If Sully has other ideas, that's on him.

Every indication I've ever heard about coach/GM relationships in hockey is that the GM hires the coach and then is largely hands off and lets the coach decide how to deploy players. The GM might give input but they don't dictate.

So Brassards usage is on one man for me, and that's Sully.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Isn't that more on Sullivan, though? JR got Brassard to be the 3c. If Sully has other ideas, that's on him.

Every indication I've ever heard about coach/GM relationships in hockey is that the GM hires the coach and then is largely hands off and lets the coach decide how to deploy players. The GM might give input but they don't dictate.

So Brassards usage is on one man for me, and that's Sully.

If Rutherford's so out of tune with Sully that he whiffed on whether Brass was a good 3C for him, that's on him and actually really worrying. And judging from his quotes/the trade rumours, I'm not sure Rutherford's giving any particularly different input on the importance of Brassard as a 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad