Confirmed with Link: Penguins Extend Rutherford Through 2021-22

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seems like an odd time to announce this, the team has lost 6 of 7 and the team looks terrible.

I guess the positive is that it means Guerin won't become the Penguins GM, but I am concerned to see what the Penguins look like in 2022 with another 4 seasons under JR.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
remember when he was bringing brought in for one, maybe two years

I think that plan changed when Botterill was poached by Buffalo. If he would still be the assistant GM here, I think this could have been JR's last year as the GM. I think Botterill would have taken over for 2019-2020, after JR's contract expired.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think that plan changed when Botterill was poached by Buffalo. If he would still be the assistant GM here, I think this could have been JR's last year as the GM. I think Botterill would have taken over for 2019-2020, after JR's contract expired.
I thought it was the other way around. Botterill was being groomed to come in, but I was under the impression that JR's success in Pittsburgh is what caused him to stick around in Pittsburgh and pushed Botterill to Buffalo.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Dude got us back to back Cups. He can stay until he’s 92 and trading 1sts for Pepperidge farm cookies for all I care.
family.guy_.herbert.jpg

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Seems like an odd time to announce this, the team has lost 6 of 7 and the team looks terrible.

I guess the positive is that it means Guerin won't become the Penguins GM, but I am concerned to see what the Penguins look like in 2022 with another 4 seasons under JR.

I haven't been a fan of some of his work since the Cup wins but back to back Cups is hard to argue with and he made some phenomenal moves to set those up.

More recently I liked the Brassard trade a lot even if it hasn't panned out as hoped yet. And he was behind Desmith too wasn't he? That's obviously been a good move.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
People need to stop comparing him to his Carolina days. He didn't have close to the same resources that he does here. And while recently we suck, he has been extremely successful overall, and deserves not only to be rewarded but to be given the opportunity to continue trying to be successful.

And if nothing else, this at least delays the inevitable Guerin promotion until after the Sid/Geno days are about over.

Reactions: ncm7772

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad