GDT: Penguins @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm not surprised we're getting absolutely throttled night in night out, we have the worst defence in the league and it isn't even close.

Greene has never been a true top pairing defender, at his best he's a solid #3 and unfortunately it seems as though even he has regressed a little this season.

Severson is still very young and being asked to do far too much, he's obviously talented but right now he's not even close to being a top pairing defender.

The rest of our defensive cast of misfits are an absolute joke (Auvitu excluded, but he only has a handful of NHL games under his belt). Quincey & Lovejoy are mediocre veteran #6/#7 defenders. Moore, despite his occasional offensive contributions, isn't even NHL material when it comes to actually playing defence; and Merrill honestly looks like an AHLer / 7th defender to me as well, he doesn't do anything well enough to merit a regular spot in the lineup.

Schneider hasn't been great, but the guy has absolutely nothing to work with in front of him.

Compounding issues further is the fact that Hynes doesn't seem to have a clue how to mask these deficiencies (if that's even possible), he's below average as a coach in pretty much every conceivable metric. Baffling lineup choices, terrible game management, no real defensive or offensive system (at least not an effective one) and he seemingly can't even motivate the players to show some fight. As far as i'm concerned he's an amateur hour coach in way over his head at this point.

Honestly though, a change of coaches probably isn't enough to overcome our defensive woes and stop these regular thrashings, but at this point something has to change.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's the same **** every ****ing loss. The only losses that were close were the Rangers and Senators games. Every other loss in December has pretty much been multi goal losses. Multi goal losses even taking out empty netters, aside from the last Rangers and Senators game. We lost by 2 goals to the Sens with an empty netter but not counting empty netters, those were the only close games.

Tonight was an accomplishment because we allowed under 30 shots and only got outshot by like 6.

Almost every game is like a 4-2 or 4-1 loss, or even 5-1 or 5-2 loss. Then in many of these games we're outshot something fierce. Even against mediocre teams like the Habs and Rangers. We barely score at all anymore, we must have the worst goal differential since mid November and be both the lowest scoring team and highest in goals against since then.

Coaching staff never has any answers, outside of calling up terrible and joke players like Helgeson and Gazdic.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I'm not surprised we're getting absolutely throttled night in night out, we have the worst defence in the league and it isn't even close.

Greene has never been a true top pairing defender, at his best he's a solid #3 and unfortunately it seems as though even he has regressed a little this season.

Severson is still very young and being asked to do far too much, he's obviously talented but right now he's not even close to being a top pairing defender.

The rest of our defensive cast of misfits are an absolute joke (Auvitu excluded, but he only has a handful of NHL games under his belt). Quincey & Lovejoy are mediocre veteran #6/#7 defenders. Moore, despite his occasional offensive contributions, isn't even NHL material when it comes to actually playing defence; and Merrill honestly looks like an AHLer / 7th defender to me as well, he doesn't do anything well enough to merit a regular spot in the lineup.

Schneider hasn't been great, but the guy has absolutely nothing to work with in front of him.

Compounding issues further is the fact that Hynes doesn't seem to have a clue how to mask these deficiencies (if that's even possible), he's below average as a coach in pretty much every conceivable metric. Baffling lineup choices, terrible game management, no real defensive or offensive system (at least not an effective one) and he seemingly can't even motivate the players to show some fight. As far as i'm concerned he's an amateur hour coach in way over his head at this point.

Honestly though, a change of coaches probably isn't enough to overcome our defensive woes and stop these regular thrashings, but at this point something has to change.

I can't tell you how many times the team left him out to dry tonight and he bailed them out. Coutless turnovers right in front of the net or defensive zone. He hasn't been perfect this season at all, but he simply can't bail out this team every time they turn the puck over. It was embarrassing tonight how bad the team was.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't tell you how many times the team left him out to dry tonight and he bailed them out. Coutless turnovers right in front of the net or defensive zone. He hasn't been perfect this season at all, but he simply can't bail out this team every time they turn the puck over. It was embarrassing tonight how bad the team was.

This is one of the few games (As well as last) where he got lit up and didn't play as poorly as his numbers suggested. Usually there's been a bad goal or two going in every game since November, but there really hasn't been for a while here. Maybe one in the Nashville game. I didn't much like the rebound on tying goal, I usually don't ding goalies for rebounds though. Unless they're really bad, to the point where the goalie has it under control and literally drops it from his lap or out of his glove. Like the one on the goal against LAK earlier in the year.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
yeah couldn't agree more..... greene is no captain that should be the first move here... they talk about the loss as if they just dropped their first one out of 5 vs... having lost their last 3 and like 8 out of 9 its pretty upsetting to listen to as a fan

I'm disappointed in Greene's demeanor. It appears from the outside that Cory is the one willing to step up and take questions from media. You can feel hurt in his voice. Kind of like he is the looker room captain even though he doesn't wear a C.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is there anybody decent out there to bring in? I can't say I'd be thrilled about putting Ward or even Kowalsky in charge if we do fire Hynes.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
I'm looking forward to seeing what Shero does around the end of January if the Devils are still in a similar position to where they are now. It could work in our favor in the long run that the Devils will be ready to sell earlier as teams are going to need to pay more to get players for longer.

You don't know what could happen. I agree with what was posted earlier that there are only a few people I see being safe.

I have to say, even though the product on the ice is worse than (or comparable) to the last few years under Lou, I'm happier with where the team is at in terms of # of draft picks and some of the young players we have in the system now. Shero moved on from the dead wood of the Lou era and seems to be giving up on some of the players that LL was attached to.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
I'm disappointed in Greene's demeanor. It appears from the outside that Cory is the one willing to step up and take questions from media. You can feel hurt in his voice. Kind of like he is the looker room captain even though he doesn't wear a C.

Very slippery slope you are getting onto trying to question Greene here man I'm just warning you.

Greene is absolutely untouchable here. He is critical to developing our young corps of defenders and his leadership is irreplaceable. This team would be lost without him. He also plays a lot of minutes. Who else could do what he does?

If they didn't have Greene they would have lost maybe 6-2 last night. Can you imagine that? I don't care what kind of young player or draft pick you can get for him he is a vital cog in the push for an 8 seed by 2019.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
yeah couldn't agree more..... greene is no captain that should be the first move here... they talk about the loss as if they just dropped their first one out of 5 vs... having lost their last 3 and like 8 out of 9 its pretty upsetting to listen to as a fan

Stop talking about Greene! He is untouchable! He plays a lot of minutes! He is a leader of men! Jon Merrill will be lost without him!

Wait let me find the emoji that goes with this post...

Here it is: :laugh:

Go Dolphins.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
i think they absolutely have to go out and sign the best free agent defensmen available and probably use their top 5 pick on defense... can't go best player here have to get a defenseman unless there is a can't miss franchise forward available at 1 or 2 ... which i don't know if there is this year

Shattenkirk is perfect and very important for this team. I would do everything I could to trade for him now, trade for his rights, whatever I could. However, I cant imagine him signing here - would you? Yes, he is a local product. But every local product is also a local product to the Rangers. Why would you sign here when you will be the most coveted UFA in hockey? I see zero reason.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Shattenkirk is perfect and very important for this team. I would do everything I could to trade for him now, trade for his rights, whatever I could. However, I cant imagine him signing here - would you? Yes, he is a local product. But every local product is also a local product to the Rangers. Why would you sign here when you will be the most coveted UFA in hockey? I see zero reason.

He isn't signing here because of everything you said plus we aren't going to outbid everyone else. No chance.

And I echo everything said about Greene. He's a great story going from a nobody college UFA to a very solid NHL player but not only is he not a Captain but he's one of the few guys we have who might actually be able to fetch something reasonable in a trade (other than our few young core players who we shouldn't trade). I'd say Schneider is the other but I'll get slandered, plus I'm not actually sure what his return would be right now.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I don't see Hynes adapting and don't see him being our head coach for long. Doesn't matter what Shero said if the owners want change. I would also sell Greene, Paps and Cammy at the trade deadline. Dont resign Kalinin, DSP and Quiency. Just watching guys skate past him makes me sick. Only protect Severson on defense during the supplementary draft. And start talking to Minnesota about a trade for one of their defensemen.

Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Horribly coached team with very little talent and no structure lose some to well coached team with talent and structure

If the teams had similar levels of talent I would buy what you're saying.

The expectation of realistic people probably should have been that the Devils would lose that game. That's what happened. Life goes on and so does the rebuild.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The thing is I really did think they played fine through the first half of the game. You could tell they were timid in the second though, so many icings and stoppages, it was just begging for the Penguins to rest up and get their legs back.

Will have to watch replays of the goals, but I knew Rico would get caught flat footed on that second goal having to cover back on defense. All that said, I wish Cory could have held onto that one and there never should have been a second chance opportunity.

Nothing more needs to be said about the defense on goals 3, 4 and 5 though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The problem is, it's very hard to lead when you're playing like crap. And most of the team is playing like crap, Cory included. That's why I'm a little mixed on him taking the team to task after last night. On the one hand I'm good with it and am not going to accuse any goalie of not giving effort. On the other his bad goals against have torpedoed a few games they had a chance in during this stretch so it's hard to see finger pointing when you're hardly blameless.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I understand, the rebuild is in it's second year. I curse you Lou and Conte. Lou gets all the accolades for the early success, however, he sure is making us fans suffer for that success now by being pig headed and not cleaning house earlier and not firing Conte at he end. I now we stink, but what's with giving up goals with under a minute left in periods. It just boggles my mind.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York

Same. I expected more from Greene. Obviously we aren't in the locker room but we haven't heard or seen anything from him that shows any sense of leadership. I have never seen a team so complacent with losing, its like nobody cares. Cory is the only one who says anything, but he is pretty modest.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
If the teams had similar levels of talent I would buy what you're saying.

The expectation of realistic people probably should have been that the Devils would lose that game. That's what happened. Life goes on and so does the rebuild.

The talent level means **** all when they are getting dominated by lesser teams as well. It is a coaching issue. If the coach can not see the talent does not match the style and strategy he is trying to implement he needs to go because he is clueless.

He keeps going with the same piece of **** PP that is stagnant and lifeless. He has a horrible PK strategy that is way too passive. He is a big part of the problem with why this team is getting wrecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad