Post-Game Talk: Penguins - Devils 2/10/12 - NJ Got To Our Game Edition

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Anybody else think that missing Letang and Niskanen might've negatively affected our ability to break up cycles and make quick, efficient transitions out of the zone?

No?

No. Our rookies have no weaknesses and will never have any. Trade Nisky today if possible.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
- defense- can't give up 2 goals on 2 on 1's, Brooksie leaves Clarkson alone in front of Vokoun.
- Malkin, Sutter, and Jeffery lines- all invisible, no sustained pressure at all.
Can't believe people put this loss on Disco, if 3 of your 4 lines look disinterested, your defense makes bad decisions to pinch, and the whole team is being outworked, it is on the players.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Culture isn't going to change the players utter and compete inability to execute brilliantly constructed game plan when the other team prepares like it's playing a playoff hockey game.

Maybe so, but we played like ****, we didn't adjust to their game at all, we played into their hands rather than thinking for ourselves and a veteran can express this to the team, cause Bylsma clearly cannot

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Doesn't matter that its a shortened season , when you are talking about evaluating your team and possible pickups before the deadline. Something a lot fail to realize. We are still almost two months from the deadline. Haven't even played a month of hockey yet. Does anyone really believe Shero and co. arent constantly looking at possible acquisitions? You see any other teams making big trades less than a month into the season?

bradshaw06

Dec 7, 2009
New Jersey
+ uhhhh... solid first period I guess.

- Malkin. Bad
- Sid. Please stop gaining the zone and pulling up to hit Dupuis with a pass he can't handle. Forcing plays on the PP AGAIN.
- Vokoun. Juicy rebounds, just like in his first start.
- Defense. Can't break out, can't clear the net.
- Boychuk. Didn't will Malkin into scoring and didn't get any A's from Malkin not capitalizing on his passes.
- Bylsma. Yeah.... about that TO...

= Neal, I guess. Another stupid penalty but another PP goal right?

probably the most annoying thing he does. drive the net sid

BigBadBoris

Apr 3, 2012
I thought he had a better game than Sid. The only time I noticed Crosby was when he got dumped near the end of the game. The goals will come for Geno, without a doubt.

Just because he had a better game than Sid doesn´t mean he himself had a good game

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
- Dan Bylsma. Nice timeout with 8 seconds left you douchenozzle.

- Malkin. Hey Geno, how bout scoring some goals at some point this year? I don't give a **** if Francois Leroux was on his wing, making 9 mil a year means you're supposed to be good in spite of other players.

- The dead weight on this team. They're all the same. No use calling them out separately. Kennedy, Cooke, Adams, Boychuk. And to a lesser extent Dupuis. They're all worthless.

- Orpik. Hey tough guy, how bout not letting someone set up and do their taxes in front of the goalie every night?

- Vokoun. Didn't think he played well.

+ Nothing

+ a Leroux reference. I loved that man...ill look for Slegr references in the future

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
One thing I hate about the NHL.....the Devils have arguably the worst roster of any team in the Atlantic team, yet continually are at the top of the division. Great system, but I also think they get away with teams other teams do not because of their system and style of play

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
This team can be so frustrating to watch at times. Hedberg played great today and the offense couldn't really set up many chances, let alone capitalize after the first period.

As far as Boychuk goes, I really like him, but he's too weak on the puck and can't capitalize on his chances. Maybe he needs one to get him going, but he's certainly not getting much trust from Malkin and Neal. Like everyone else, I said he wouldn't really amount to anything here and it looks like that's the case.

If Vitale is injured, throw Boychuk back on waivers so he can go back to Charlotte, throw Jeffrey on Malkin's wing and try Tangradi on the 3rd/4th line so he can develop into something and maybe help the powerplay.

Maybe we'll see Morrow next game, I really want to see what he can do. If he plays any bit as good as Despres, I would be ecstatic!

I'm not sure why Malkin or Neal wouldn't 'trust' Boychuk, it's not like he's killing plays. In fact, he made some nice plays tonight, including 2 great feeds to Malkin.

I doubt he's the long-term solution, but he's doing more than DJ and Tangradi have.

And who sits for Morrow? Orpik probably should after his play tonight, but he won't. Reese is playing solid, so he'll probably be benched.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I thought they were dead in the water this year without parise. As long as Lou is there that guy will find a way to put a competitive team on the ice.

They'll still be competive (even more conservative and stingy in that case) but he's basically filling the void for Parise in a way by continuing his great play.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
and you refer to everyone as bandwagoners while propping up the Devils.

there was really no point for you to post in here anyway when you open up with "before everyone jumps off the bandwagon".

He's not completely wrong.

The way the Devils played was the exact same way they beat the Flyers 4 in a row after losing game one.

Flyers had no answers either.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Anybody else think that missing Letang and Niskanen might've negatively affected our ability to break up cycles and make quick, efficient transitions out of the zone?

No?

I'm sure it does. Are you suggesting that prudence might have dictated making adjustments to account for having different caliber of personnel? Shirley you jest, and I do apologize for calling you shirley.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Apparently also more practical than a trade to address issues that were obvious 10 months ago.

Trade for who? Trade what assets away? D prospects maybe. Possible but the situation has to be right to get real quality for I assume Sid's line. More likely after the season. Bylsma, and I'm not saying this as a fan of his, will not be fired unless this team hits a skid which they likely can't recover from before the playoffs.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
We're slowly becoming as good as the previous incarnation of the Capital at winning the Stanley Cup in the regular season.

Did I say anything about regular season being important? I was merely refuting his point that Crosby, Neal, and Malkin are the only people to score in the regular season.

+ a nice strawman though

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No. Our rookies have no weaknesses and will never have any. Trade Nisky today if possible.

Haha, really though.

Despres has been great for us overall, but he seemed to be thinking the game at a junior pace today. Took his time and relied on his reach and skating to get him out of trouble, and it resulted in some extended possession for NJ in our zone.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

No?

Everyone wants to hang off Bort and Despres' nuts when the cold hard truth of these past two games is those two aren't ready for big time responsibility yet.

I want them to keep playing and I like them a lot, but they need more time and games to get to the point where they can be relied upon for big minutes.

Letang is arguably more important to the Pens even than Crosby or Malkin. He plays 27 minutes a night and does it all (well maybe not all, he stinks at the powerplay).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe so, but we played like ****, we didn't adjust to their game at all, we played into their hands rather than thinking for ourselves and a veteran can express this to the team, cause Bylsma clearly cannot

Of course, it's because of things that Bylsma clearly cannot do that I've been obsessed about getting Sid a proper second wheel and Geno a proper third wheel for the last 10 months.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
He's not completely wrong.

The way the Devils played was the exact same way they beat the Flyers 4 in a row after losing game one.

Flyers had no answers either.

it's not the Devils part i have a problem with, because they played well even for a team that tries to buy a boarding call on every hit.

i have a problem with the bandwagoner part. there's no reason a Flyers fan needs to come on the Pens board to claim everyone is a bandwagoner for getting upset over losing to a division rival.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I admit, I did not watch much of the game,I was to busy watching The Walking Dead.
But I did find out from a different thread that Joe Vitale was scratched.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
+'s

Lots of -'s for Boychuk

-'s

Not enough -'s for Boychuk

He was single handedly responsible for every Devil's goal, he kicked out goals for us, he hacked Geno until he was in the fetal position, he took away Dupuis hands again, he put a spell on Vokoun, he hurt Sid's feelings, took a dump on Shero's lawn, and forced Vitale at gunpoint to kick Bylsma's dog which clearly explains Vitale's healthy scratch.

This guy is single handedly ruining the Penguin's season. We were 3-3 until his bum ass got here. Now we are 8-5! This can not continue! Trade! Jeffrey! Tangradiiiiiiiiiiii!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad