Proposal: Penguins deadline retool (Detroit, New Jersey and Edmonton)

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Rather re-sign Guentzel than get that return. And the Redwings won’t do it anyway because they are actually good at drafting 1st round picks.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Value is about right for NJ but buying this year would be foolish. They need to do a LOT of internal housekeeping before they can even entertain the idea of adding outside players.
He's not a rental and I'd rather move on from Bahl. Petey is what you want Bahl to be but the timing is off. Bahl with 100 games played fits Pitts soon-to-be build. Petey wont be much cheaper if at all, in the summer, moving him now saves our Gs some goals against IMO

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Trade 1:

Penguins trade Guentzel (retain 50%)
Wings trade Berggren, Buium and a 2024 1st

The Penguins get a young NHL ready winger, a good B level D prospect and a 1st likely around 20th overall. Wings get a top line rental LWer.

Trade 2:

Penguins trade Pettersson
Devils trade Bahl, Hameenaho and a 2025 2nd

Similar to the Wings trade, the Penguins get a young NHL ready defenseman, a good B level RW prospect and a 2025 2nd to close out the value. New Jersey gets a borderline 1st/2nd pair LD signed for this year and next year. I would have preferred a 2024 2nd but New Jersey already traded that pick.

Trade 3:

Penguins trade Smith (retain 50%) and Nedjelkovic
Oilers trade their 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd

The Oilers get a good middle-6 winger at $2.5 million for this year and next year along with a good backup goalie option for Skinner. Penguins get some additional draft picks.

Thoughts on these deals?
Honestly not terrible, but I would assume we would have to sign guentzel to an extension or at least have a talk with him before trading to see if he would be at least interested in signing a 4-5 year contract.

Love berggren and think he is going to be a solid middle 6 player on a contender, top 6 on a competent team, but he just can't crack the lineup for whatever reason. Don't know much about buium but I know he is playing very well in NCAA and I've been willing to deal the 1st rounder for a large upgrade, so this works for me 🤷‍♂️

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No for me on Smith even @ 2.5m. Don't want that on the books next year. He'd hold move value to me if he was on an expiring deal.

3rd for Ned.
I think we should really consider this deal if it was real, and if we can find the cap space. 2.5M next year doesn't hinder us much, and 2.5M isn't a bad deal for a middle six scorer. If we can get the money to work, it might make sense, but we don't have the space to add him, and I wouldn't move a depth veteran contract like Kulak or Foegele just to make room for Reilly Smith this playoffs.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Rather re-sign Guentzel than get that return. And the Redwings won’t do it anyway because they are actually good at drafting 1st round picks.
As much of a homer as I am, it's still too early to tell how well Yzerman has done with his 1st round picks with the Wings. Signs are encouraging sure, but we're a long way off from knowing the true impact these last 3 drafts will have on the rebuild.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Value may be right but that deal makes zero sense for Detroit. They aren’t ready to contend and Guentzel doesn’t change that.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Wonder if they try to go the Oilers route and try to get a 1st for Poolpartyz

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Trade 3:

The Oilers get a good middle-6 winger at $2.5 million for this year and next year along with a good backup goalie option for Skinner. Penguins get some additional draft picks.

Thoughts on these deals?

I think Vegas would be a better target for Smith over Edmonton for this deal.

Was listening to Seravelli and he was saying Smith (like every player in Vegas) didn't want to leave. I bet if he returned to Vegas you would see a different player than the one you see in Pittsburgh or I'd see in Edmonton if we did acquire him.

I'm weary of players that seem to be motivated by their lifestyle/surroundings like Vegas coming to a City like Edmonton. Smith was mediocre before Vegas and mediocre after Vegas.

I honestly hope you don't move him back to Vegas for those reasons haha.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Vegas would be a better target for Smith over Edmonton for this deal.

Was listening to Seravelli and he was saying Smith (like every player in Vegas) didn't want to leave. I bet if he returned to Vegas you would see a different player than the one you see in Pittsburgh or I'd see in Edmonton if we did acquire him.

I'm weary of players that seem to be motivated by their lifestyle/surroundings like Vegas coming to a City like Edmonton. Smith was mediocre before Vegas and mediocre after Vegas.

I honestly hope you don't move him back to Vegas for those reasons haha.

I had thought of Vegas at first but I'm like 95% sure that the Penguins wouldn't be able to trade him back to Vegas while also retaining money.

Edmonton was an option as another team who would likely want to add a top-6 forward, while the retention was allowed and would dramatically help with their cap situation.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can't see Dubas trading for draft picks. He's still firing them out the door as if he still thinks his team has a chance at a playoff spot.
He absolutely want picks and prospects. Trading a 6th rounder doesn't preclude that as we received a young player back. We're not making the playoffs we are gonna sell off, big time!

Why? Why go down the same futile path to nowhere? We need a change.

Reactions: 66-30-33

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Retool is not a good idea. Crosby Malkin and Letang are not going to continue playing stanley cup caliber play. Its never going to happen but if you can trade them your rebuild is probably done and competing for playoffs in 3 years.

I realize the nature of this. They will attempt to win as long as Crosby is there.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
ehhh... It's not bad, but I think with the Perry signing, we have our middle six RW. If we're trading for another one, it needs to be a clear no doubter 2RW or better and I'm not sure Smith is that anymore. That being said, he does have an extra year and would be fair value at 2.5 mil. Hm.

If we couldn't find someone better by the deadline, I'd pull the trigger.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nyquist returned a 5th....
Nyquist was hurt and is very up and down also he's not even remotely in the same category as Jake in terms of talent. Jake is an elite winger, Nyquist had the potential to be but never got there due to inconsistency. It's why he signed a buy low contract this season with the Preds for two years. I'm a fan of Nyquist, solid top 9 winger, but he's no Jake, Gustav has a career high of 54 pts, Jake has almost scored as many goals (would have if the powerplay hasn't been trash for so many years). In 50 games he had 52pts.

Teams that want Jake will give up assets knowing how over the top he will make their top 6 and will likely be their one of their best playoff performers. If adding Guentzel increases the odds of a cup win, that's a risk a GM will take for a contender that wants to take advantage of a core before its too late.

I think blokes here struggle to see the bigger picture basically all the time. "Oh he is hurt, won't go for much"...

It's not an injury requiring surgery to a hip, shoulder, knee, hernia or any lingering injury. If that was the case he wouldn't be rumoured to be moved at all, as it'd be season ending for Jake, especially if it's shoulder. If Jake came back from a shoulder surgery to score 40 the next season, he will be fine. Gm's know this as I am sure Dubas has the medical info ready for them to look over with any pending deal.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I can't see Dubas trading for draft picks. He's still firing them out the door as if he still thinks his team has a chance at a playoff spot.

You should look up his trades with Pittsburgh and just go ahead delete your post after.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Trade 1:

Penguins trade Guentzel (retain 50%)
Wings trade Berggren, Buium and a 2024 1st

The Penguins get a young NHL ready winger, a good B level D prospect and a 1st likely around 20th overall. Wings get a top line rental LWer.

Trade 2:

Penguins trade Pettersson
Devils trade Bahl, Hameenaho and a 2025 2nd

Similar to the Wings trade, the Penguins get a young NHL ready defenseman, a good B level RW prospect and a 2025 2nd to close out the value. New Jersey gets a borderline 1st/2nd pair LD signed for this year and next year. I would have preferred a 2024 2nd but New Jersey already traded that pick.

Trade 3:

Thoughts on these deals?
I think the Pens stand pat since they secured Emil Bremstrom.

seriously though I think the Pens wait until they drop back further before selling, especially Petterson.

Reilly they might trade but do the Oilers have any interest on him for 5 million next year?

the first Geuntzl deal really depends on what the Pens think of Berggren who is now 23 and Buium who looks like a bottom pairing Dman in the NHL but kinda meh.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nyquist was hurt and is very up and down also he's not even remotely in the same category as Jake in terms of talent. Jake is an elite winger, Nyquist had the potential to be but never got there due to inconsistency. It's why he signed a buy low contract this season with the Preds for two years. I'm a fan of Nyquist, solid top 9 winger, but he's no Jake, Gustav has a career high of 54 pts, Jake has almost scored as many goals (would have if the powerplay hasn't been trash for so many years). In 50 games he had 52pts.

Teams that want Jake will give up assets knowing how over the top he will make their top 6 and will likely be their one of their best playoff performers. If adding Guentzel increases the odds of a cup win, that's a risk a GM will take for a contender that wants to take advantage of a core before its too late.

I think blokes here struggle to see the bigger picture basically all the time. "Oh he is hurt, won't go for much"...

It's not an injury requiring surgery to a hip, shoulder, knee, hernia or any lingering injury. If that was the case he wouldn't be rumoured to be moved at all, as it'd be season ending for Jake, especially if it's shoulder. If Jake came back from a shoulder surgery to score 40 the next season, he will be fine. Gm's know this as I am sure Dubas has the medical info ready for them to look over with any pending deal.
We arent talking an ingrown nail injury. He's out for 4+ weeks. Out that long is serious.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We arent talking an ingrown nail injury. He's out for 4+ weeks. Out that long is serious.
No, he's not out four plus weeks, in fact, he's suppose to come of LTIR 3/10, that's what 24 days? It's not serious, he'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad