Proposal: Penguins deadline retool (Detroit, New Jersey and Edmonton)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trade 1:

Penguins trade Guentzel (retain 50%)
Wings trade Berggren, Buium and a 2024 1st

The Penguins get a young NHL ready winger, a good B level D prospect and a 1st likely around 20th overall. Wings get a top line rental LWer.

Trade 2:

Penguins trade Pettersson
Devils trade Bahl, Hameenaho and a 2025 2nd

Similar to the Wings trade, the Penguins get a young NHL ready defenseman, a good B level RW prospect and a 2025 2nd to close out the value. New Jersey gets a borderline 1st/2nd pair LD signed for this year and next year. I would have preferred a 2024 2nd but New Jersey already traded that pick.

Trade 3:

Penguins trade Smith (retain 50%) and Nedjelkovic
Oilers trade their 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd

The Oilers get a good middle-6 winger at $2.5 million for this year and next year along with a good backup goalie option for Skinner. Penguins get some additional draft picks.

Thoughts on these deals?

Reactions: Play

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can the Pens actually trade Guentzel if he's injured past the deadline?
Keep hearing he's out 3 weeks and if my shit math is correct, that's past March 8th

Yes. Vegas traded for Eichel before he got his experimental neck surgery and Buffalo traded for Kane before he got season ending shoulder surgery.

It's not like the NFL or MLB where you can't trade injured players.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Thise are likely realistic returns. I would want more but I'm bias. My only angst is that we are trading 3 premium assets and we aren't getting back a major center piece in any. So I'm iffy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Trade 1:

Penguins trade Guentzel (retain 50%)
Wings trade Berggren, Buium and a 2024 1st

The Penguins get a young NHL ready winger, a good B level D prospect and a 1st likely around 20th overall. Wings get a top line rental LWer.

Trade 2:

Penguins trade Pettersson
Devils trade Bahl, Hameenaho and a 2025 2nd

Similar to the Wings trade, the Penguins get a young NHL ready defenseman, a good B level RW prospect and a 2025 2nd to close out the value. New Jersey gets a borderline 1st/2nd pair LD signed for this year and next year. I would have preferred a 2024 2nd but New Jersey already traded that pick.

Trade 3:

Penguins trade Smith (retain 50%) and Nedjelkovic
Oilers trade their 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd

The Oilers get a good middle-6 winger at $2.5 million for this year and next year along with a good backup goalie option for Skinner. Penguins get some additional draft picks.

Thoughts on these deals?

Would be terrible for Detroit to give up a 1st for a rental at this point. We aren't good enough to be paying assets for just rentals.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Keep hearing he's out 3 weeks and if my shit math is correct, that's past March 8th
Both Eichel and evander Kanr and 3× full years of contract term left post surgery

Guentzel as a UFA this summer Is not returning what they hope for with him still injured and uncertain on playing again this season

Any trade will be heavily contingent with picks unless he gets an extension with nee team.no team is trading a mid 1st+× for a player they never see play.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I can't see Dubas trading for draft picks. He's still firing them out the door as if he still thinks his team has a chance at a playoff spot.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nyquist last year was dealt while injured.

Both Eichel and evander Kanr and 3× full years of contract term left post surgery

Guentzel as a UFA this summer Is not returning what they hope for with him still injured and uncertain on playing again this season

Any trade will be heavily contingent with picks unless he gets an extension with nee team.no team is trading a mid 1st+× for a player they never see play.

OK ignoring large parts that are incredibly incoherent, the entirety of this is incorrect.

• Haha
Reactions: AllAlphas

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Value is about right for NJ but buying this year would be foolish. They need to do a LOT of internal housekeeping before they can even entertain the idea of adding outside players.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
NJ needs to sell and the regroup in offseason used those assets gained to help get a goalie...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad