GDT: Penguins @ Canadiens (Quebec City)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I remember Dumo playing RHD at some point, but I don't watch WBS religiously, so if he struggled at that position, ignore my suggestions.

Would be nice if one of Clendening or Erixon proved to be more than a warm blooded individual.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Pouliot looked terrible in the D zone last season as well. He lucked out on a lot of plays at first, but it all caught up to him later in the season. Judging how he looks now, Jmelm (basically got laughed off the board for saying he was 3 years out last season) and those who said he may end up being MA Bergeron II are looking like the ones who got it right.

I am not that worried about his puck retrieval, 1v1 defending or positional/coverage defending in the DZ. They needed a lot of work last season and continue to need work. I thought that Pouliot should have spent more time last season in the AHL working on those specific issues.

However, last year, when Pouliot had the puck on his stick either in transition or in the OZ he looked like an NHL player. Some games (@SJS) were better than others, but his offensive game looked much more developed.

Right now and going back to the rookie tournament, not only has his defensive game not developed further, his offensive game and game in transition has regressed from last season.

I don't think the talent is gone, but I do think he's not mentally where he needs to be.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The worrying thing with Pouliot is that it looks like he's regressed, if he'd stagnated or not had the expected growth that would be one thing but to take a step back is worrying. It's not a small step either, and now his confidence is probably ****ed.

I remember Dumo playing RHD at some point, but I don't watch WBS religiously, so if he struggled at that position, ignore my suggestions.

Would be nice if one of Clendening or Erixon proved to be more than a warm blooded individual.

I think Dumoulin plays RD like Bennett plays LW or Perron plays RW. It can be done but he'll suffer and it better be a player worth it on the other side.

My money is on Clendening doing something and he should send a fruit basket to Pouliot.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

I follow WBS but not religiously, so he could have played RHD at one point.

Last season, Chorney played the right side with Dumoulin on the left most of the time. Dumoulin played a lot with Samuelsson on the right the year before, I think. But he also played some with Harrington & McNeill so maybe with them although I think Harrington played the right side?

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
speaking of my favorite subject, anyone follow Despres this preseason?

=)

No but speaking of Anaheim, that Friberg kid was having a pretty good camp so far.

Why not scoop him up, especially that we need young players in our system and that's one way to add a few.

Maybe JR is hoping a D finds his way on waivers

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No but speaking of Anaheim, that Friberg kid was having a pretty good camp so far.

Why not scoop him up, especially that we need young players in our system and that's one way to add a few.

Maybe JR is hoping a D finds his way on waivers

No clue why he wasn't claimed. I guess we're already TOOOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dumoulin struggles when he plays RD. It's less of an issue in the AHL, but he's clearly uncomfortable there.

Of course when he first got called up that's where Bylsma put him.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
According to JB, lines for tonight are gonna be something like:

Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Cullen-Sheary
Zlobin-Mouillierat-Porter
4th line Sestito-Archibald + one of Uher/Dea/Macaroni

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Eh... Niskanen ended up costing wheelbarrows full of cash. And honestly I didn't like his game at all when the pressure was on. He tended to fold at the worst times. Caps fans seem happy with him, though. For the most part. And he looks downright Despres-esque compared to the majority of what the team is hoping will comprise it's blueline, this year.

Wrong. Just wrong.

That's a Pens HF started myth that stupidly took on a life of its own.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Trouba and Dumba have yet to prove anything. Much like Pouliot.

In their rookie seasons Trouba was every bit as good as Maatta.

Wrong. Just wrong.

That's a Pens HF started myth that stupidly took on a life of its own.

Niskanen was one of our solid reliable dmen in his last year here, especially when injuries took their toll. He was the #1 for a couple games and he came through IMHO. Nisky at a 5x5 would have been amazing...but we went in other directions.

Scary and sad to think about how many dmen assets we've pissed away in the last 2-3 years.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Niskanen was one of our solid reliable dmen in his last year here, especially when injuries took their toll. He was the #1 for a couple games and he came through IMHO. Nisky at a 5x5 would have been amazing...but we went in other directions.

Scary and sad to think about how many dmen assets we've pissed away in the last 2-3 years.

Take out his first year when he was paired with *sigh* Lovejoy against Tampa, he was our best overall d-man in the playoffs his entire Penguins tenure.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If you don't think Dumba, and especially Trouba, are miles ahead of Pouliot, I don't know what to tell you. You're just simply wrong.

That was true last season, before Pouliot's abysmal camp/pre-season this year. It's only reinforced after the past three weeks.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Take out his first year when he was paired with *sigh* Lovejoy against Tampa, he was our best overall d-man in the playoffs his entire Penguins tenure.

Not great against the Islanders, either, but otherwise, he was a warrior. Especially against Philly, where he was, by far, our best D despite playing with a broken collarbone.

No clue where that "hears footsteps" or "wilts under pressure" bull **** came from. Someone said something stupidly specific enough that it kept getting repeated for years, even if it didn't make a lick of sense.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

What's worse is that Niskanen looked to be open for a contract extension in the summer of 2013 (~4-4.5M). Re-sign Niskanen & don't sign Scuderi. That means that Despres & Bortuzzo likely get more NHL time in 2013-14, Niskanen would be anchoring the second pairing this year, and the Pens wouldn't have Scuderi.

Even with trading Despres & Bortuzzo:

Maatta-Letang
Cole-Niskanen
Dumoulin/Pouliot-Lovejoy

looks a lot better. Keeping Despres, it looks pretty damn amazing:

Maatta-Letang
Cole/Despres-Niskanen
Dumoulin/Pouliot-Cole/Despres

Oh well.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I thought Niskanen struggled with good forechecks, especially early on, but got better as time went by. I don't think he struggled with pressure and playoffs, etc...

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I'd like to say looking back is in hindsight...but it's not.

I think most of us here wanted Nisky re-signed long term and on the cheap, with him being a bottom pair d-man at WORST.

With more brains, the Pens could have had a D of:

Letang-Maatta
Nisky-Despres
Cole-Dumo/Chorney/Pouliot

Plus a few valuable assets from Orpik AND/OR Martin trades.

But no. We're just idiots on a message board.

If it w

Hindsight is always an issue.

I know fanbase-wise some people were more excited by the Scuderi signing (even if they weren't thrilled with the term) and less interested in Niskanen (too weak, unproven, etc).

Personally, I hated the Scuderi signing and wanted the team to take a chance on Niskanen.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If you don't think Dumba, and especially Trouba, are miles ahead of Pouliot, I don't know what to tell you. You're just simply wrong.

That was true last season, before Pouliot's abysmal camp/pre-season this year. It's only reinforced after the past three weeks.

Dumba and Trouba ARE ahead of Pouliot right now. "miles" ahead is debatable but they are absolutely ahead of him. That doesn't mean their potential is the same. Pouliot if/when he reaches his potential will be every bit as good if not better than either of them. Right now though, I'd easily take Trouba over Pouliot. Maatta-Trouba would be an awesome pairing.

Not great against the Islanders, either, but otherwise, he was a warrior. Especially against Philly, where he was, by far, our best D despite playing with a broken collarbone.

No clue where that "hears footsteps" or "wilts under pressure" bull **** came from. Someone said something stupidly specific enough that it kept getting repeated for years, even if it didn't make a lick of sense.

He was always reliable for us. One of the better if not best 3rd pairing guys in the league no doubt. What a luxury that was to get him and Neal for Gogo. Dang. Gogo for Hornqvist and 25% of Kessel. :)

The footsteps thing...I dunno, was he a Norris dman, of course not. A lot of people here did not like him in the least. So...two sides to every coin. Heck, some posters here like Bylsma and Adams so...to each their own.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I hated the scuderi signing and thought Niskanen had to walk once they missed the chance to re-sign him cheap.

Of course, most of my thoughts on Niskanen re-signing related directly to Despres and my desire to see him play regularly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not really basing my opinion on groupthink. I watched plenty of Niskanen in his years here myself, thanks. He was a fine enough middle pairing player and in hindsight... obviously he'd be nice to have in the mix, now (though as I'm constantly being reminded at every turn... we're awfully early on in the year, yet). But at between 5-6M long term... I dunno. I guess in this system (whatever that is) it would make some sense. Personal preference, I guess. I was fine with him moving on and I still am.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Hindsight is always an issue.

I know fanbase-wise some people were more excited by the Scuderi signing (even if they weren't thrilled with the term) and less interested in Niskanen (too weak, unproven, etc).

Personally, I hated the Scuderi signing and wanted the team to take a chance on Niskanen.

I actually liked the Scuderi signing at the time because I didn't think he'd become THAT useless. I figured he'd be a good partner for Letang - until I saw Scuds play his first game.

It's very, very rare I go with nostalgia or well wishing when it comes to certain players. I will never do that again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Re-signing Niskanen would have solved so many problems for us. I'm not sad we didn't pay him $5.75 million annually, but I feel like the Pens could have retained him at around $5 million per year without much issue. Maybe we would have moved Kunitz this offseason had we kept Niskanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad