Pre-Game Talk: Penguins at Islanders | Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The most depressing thing is just how talented this team is. We play like ****....yet still score with ease. A decent goalie ( doesn't even need to be great) and a little discipline and we are fine. Yet that is so hard for this team to accept. We finally made the move in net....question is will the players get their act together? And if they do, why didn't they do it for fleury ?

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, instead of getting run over by the bus all night, they just got side swiped. :laugh:

I felt encouraged at brief periods of the game, as opposed to games 2-3. When i wanted to throw something at the television. Progress!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You know what is embarrassing as a fan and almost certainly (I'd hope) much, much worse for Bylsma and his players? There have been multiple interviews with Capuano and his players and the basic answer, when it comes to what they are doing to the Penguins, is simply "We watched last year's playoffs."

Ouch. Extremely telling.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know what is embarrassing as a fan and almost certainly (I'd hope) much, much worse for Bylsma and his players? There have been multiple interviews with Capuano and his players and the basic answer, when it comes to what they are doing to the Penguins, is simply "We watched last year's playoffs."

Ouch. Extremely telling.

Sup BlindWilly? Isn't deja vu cool?

Ouch. Extremely telling.

Sup BlindWilly? Isn't deja vu cool?

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012

Ouch. Extremely telling.

Yes this is awful

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
:laugh:

I would laugh more if it weren't so damned depressing.

It's not over, yet. Far from it but... man... I've tried to stay so positive about this team all year and how they would approach the post season. Even when there were massive red flags. And now this?

Infuriating.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
for people with an insight in hockey world:
any idea how the players are spending the day today?

Are they chained to the wall and fed crap, or kept in the video room with the arrest boot, kept in the hotel waterboarded, ?????

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Are they chained to the wall and fed crap, or kept in the video room with the arrest boot, kept in the hotel waterboarded, ?????

They are playing bubble hockey in the lounge with organic smoothies.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Ask and you shall receive . . .

:m-dance:

EDIT: Dancing Monkey says . . .

Vokoun in net.

Short passes, puck support, no more stretch or death

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett
Cooke-Sutter-Vitale

Despres-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Murray-Niskanen

Ergo, Dancing Monkey > Bylsma

This lineup looks familiar :nod: Are you calling me a dancing monkey:D

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

You actually expect these idiots to get punished, somehow?

I wish I had that kind of optimism.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This lineup looks familiar :nod: Are you calling me a dancing monkey:D

No comment . . . I'm on probation when it comes to discussion coaching with you. Pretty sure answering that question would lead to serious consequences. ;)

CrozJawz*

Been saying it all year BlindWilly. Teams have been taking a page out of the Flyers book all season and have been giving the Pens fits.

Couturier completely shut down Malkin last year and frustrated him and Neal to no end. That took Geno and James completely off their games and basically eliminated that line as a threat.

In this series, they are managing to frustrate him once again and goating him into dumb penalties.

Philly got under the Pens skin last year and made them lose focus and the Isles are doing it once again this year. They are finishing every check and roughing guys up left and right. That alone will frustrate and agitate players and then when you add a shaky goalie allowing softies left and right, it puts guys over the edge, as evidenced by the end of the game last night.

Philly also was willing to throw anything and everything at the net when they realized that Fleury's mind had checked out. Isles are doing the same thing, just whipping pucks toward the net from all angle and Fleury is basically putting the puck in for them.

The other thing that the Pens CANNOT figure out how to beat is the trap. The Isles may not be running a true blue trap, but they are effectively clogging up the neutral zone and choking off the Pens rush at the blueline. The Pens thrive on getting the puck in and cycling it down low. Right now they aren't even able to get more than 10 seconds in the offensive zone before the Isles are heading the other way with speed. Remember when THAT was exactly what the Pens did? Good times...

So essentially, everything that they said wasn't going to happen again this year, IS happening...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
:laugh:

I would laugh more if it weren't so damned depressing.

It's not over, yet. Far from it but... man... I've tried to stay so positive about this team all year and how they would approach the post season. Even when there were massive red flags. And now this?

Infuriating.

We may or may not survive this series, but any hopes to go to the finals go far beyond goaltending.

Is it over? No. If it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, then it isn't over now. BUT, it will be soon . . . or sooner.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You know what might be even worse than what I posted, above?

That John flippin' Tortorella looks like he was right, last season. This is an arrogant team.

I feel like I might be sick.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Does anybody else think the Pens should just trap the rest of the series!?!?

I don't think they should trap. I don't think you totally lose your identity, or try something that you haven't worked on all year. It's not as easy as saying lets just trap. The Devils do it so well because they have a lot of practice perfecting it, we however do not.

Our team needs to tweak what we do. The breakout needs to use the center more and rely less on the wall, for more over all control and less predictability. We don't need to trap per say, but rather get to our low cycle with F3 staying high. Doing this will create more offensive chances from a good position, makes their Dmen work harder in their own zone, and helps us keep a responsible defensive game against their transition.

CrozJawz*

Probably having a pool party at Mario's and talking about how "stacked" they are this year...

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Been saying it all year BlindWilly. Teams have been taking a page out of the Flyers book all season and have been giving the Pens fits.

Couturier completely shut down Malkin last year and frustrated him and Neal to no end. That took Geno and James completely off their games and basically eliminated that line as a threat.

In this series, they are managing to frustrate him once again and goating him into dumb penalties.

Yet he again playing good and so is Crosby the problem is again MAF and the Defense.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
A leader you seek? A leader?

The Danny B to playoff war is gone,
In stretch pass death you'll find him;
His game plan he has girded on,
And his adjustments left behind him;
"Chip and chase!" said the crony bard,
"Though all five of them shall you go thee,
One stretch, at least, thy breakout shall lard,
One turnover but we shall praise thee!"

The Danny B fell! But to the players the blame
He could not bring his proud soul under;
The plan he loved had failed again,
For he spoke from his chords asunder;
And said "No execution shall sully thee,
For get to our game, our truest bravery!
Thy outlets by my plan were made pure and free
No idea why we ended in possession slavery!"

The Danny B will return we play
When we hear the Fleury news we will cheer it,
The Danny B will return one day,
Fleury out but no change in spirit.
Then may he get to his game in peace,
In a video world such as he intended,
For all the bitterness of fans must cease,
And in defeat another playoff battle ended.

Brownie points to whoever can name that tune. ;)

Minstrel Boy! I especially like the Joe Strummer version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad