Pre-Game Talk: Penguins at Islanders | Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know what might be even worse than what I posted, above?

That John flippin' Tortorella looks like he was right, last season. This is an arrogant team.

I feel like I might be sick.

****, another thing I wrote yesterday. Get some original material. :p:

I don't think they should trap. I don't think you totally lose your identity, or try something that you haven't worked on all year. It's not as easy as saying lets just trap. The Devils do it so well because they have a lot of practice perfecting it, we however do not.

Our team needs to tweak what we do. The breakout needs to use the center more and rely less on the wall, for more over all control and less predictability. We don't need to trap per say, but rather get to our low cycle with F3 staying high. Doing this will create more offensive chances from a good position, makes their Dmen work harder in their own zone, and helps us keep a responsible defensive game against their transition.

Perhaps that would work. Honestly, I'd just like to see him try something new. Give me some sign that he can make a significant adjustment (I know that asking for lines that make sense is a bit much, but at least throw us a bone).

I complained about Shero. When he made the Morrow for Morrow move, I said he was all in. Agree/disagree-- and there will come a time to assess soon enough-- at least I could say it was the start of him doing everything in his power to put the Pens in the best position possible to win a cup.

Agree/disagree . . . I just want to see Bylsma try something.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Punishing really doesn't work with grown men. I hope Byslma spends all day watching tape. He has tape right?

That's probably a fair point. I just would have preferred they do something today. To me... they've had enough time to sit and stew. It didn't seem to sink in.

Excellent post, CrozJawz. I agree on all points.

I just wish we'd see meaningful changes to address those problems. But evidently that's just asking too much. I mean... it has been years, now. So obviously these are problems that are far too monumental for any mere mortal to combat.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We dominated in 08 and 09 with less talent( our stars were younger) because teams didn't know what to expect. They couldn't defend us. They were the ones playing with fear....making mistakes. And we took advantage .

Now, since we haven't changed a damn thing with bylsma's system ....teams aren't afraid at all. They know what to expect. Think about it, you're going up against a team with as much talent as the pens and there's absolutely no fear...no mistakes really....which allows you to expose them? What does that tell you? Only one thing....teams take comfort in knowing exactly what to expect. Same blueprint...it provides comfort.

More talent now than in 08/09 yet we can't dominate play in postseason like we did then..quite the opposite actually.

CrozJawz*

Yet he again playing good and so is Crosby the problem is again MAF and the Defense.

I agree with that, for the most part, however Geno has been dishing out his fair share of boneheaded plays that have resulted in chances and goals for the Isles, just like that Tavares one last night.

A veteran and a leader like him should not be doing that over and over again. He is getting frustrated and is forcing things that aren't there.

But for the life of me, I cannot understand some of the Pens' play in the offensive zone. I am constantly seeing guys with open lanes to the net, either curling and dragging or forcing a pass that isn't there. Nabby has been shaky all series! Just start throwing pucks at the net and crashing it. Stop all the cutesy, razzle dazzle garbage that isn't needed...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Minstrel Boy! I especially like the Joe Strummer version.

1. I like the version from The Coach Who Would Be King where Dan Bylsma is exposed as a fraud, chased onto a bridge, and awaits his doom as IcedCapp cuts the ropes.

2. You may have guessed right, but you'll get nothing . . . and you'll like it.

:D

I would say something about great minds thinking alike, here but, well...

This may be a case of blind (no pun intended) squirrels finding acorns. :D

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Bylsma's future is in serious jeopardy if we can't pull out a win..

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
You know what is embarrassing as a fan and almost certainly (I'd hope) much, much worse for Bylsma and his players? There have been multiple interviews with Capuano and his players and the basic answer, when it comes to what they are doing to the Penguins, is simply "We watched last year's playoffs."

Ouch. Extremely telling.

They had a lot of time to watch hockey while they were golfing LOL!

**** me

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
We may or may not survive this series, but any hopes to go to the finals go far beyond goaltending.

Is it over? No. If it wasn't over when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, then it isn't over now. BUT, it will be soon . . . or sooner.

Fixed.

I just re-read your song lyrics with the music on in the background. That was an inspired piece of work. :handclap:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't know if anyone is listening but madden is entering a bizzaro Gino hate space never been accessed before. He is basically accusing him for the pogrom of Native Americans, Slavery, Holocaust, and all that happened after that...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't know if anyone is listening but madden is entering a bizzaro Gino hate space never been accessed before. He is basically accusing him for the pogrom of Native Americans, Slavery, Holocaust, and all that happened after that...

Taking it about 10 steps too far, but it's hard to argue the genesis of his rambling.

Geno is starting to resemble the unfortunate stereotype of a Russian flake. Seems to do pretty much whatever the hell he wants whenever the hell he wants.

CrozJawz*

But I thought Matt Cooke was soley responsible for all those atrocities???

BTW, what exactly went down in the locker room last night with all the yelling and screaming from Kunitz? What was said by the players, other than "we are disappointed" "We didn't get to our game" "we have to be better" "made a lot of mistakes", blah, blah, blah...

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't think they should trap. I don't think you totally lose your identity, or try something that you haven't worked on all year. It's not as easy as saying lets just trap. The Devils do it so well because they have a lot of practice perfecting it, we however do not.

Our team needs to tweak what we do. The breakout needs to use the center more and rely less on the wall, for more over all control and less predictability. We don't need to trap per say, but rather get to our low cycle with F3 staying high. Doing this will create more offensive chances from a good position, makes their Dmen work harder in their own zone, and helps us keep a responsible defensive game against their transition.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I just don't think the Penguins can survive by trading transition chances. If they can't execute the system better or tweak it to go around what the Islanders are doing, I think they need to change it up just to negate their speed. THe Penguins have a ton more scoring depth than the Islanders, they should be able to win by merely limiting their possession.

I went back and checked. The Penguins have been out-shot by the Islanders regularly all year. It's a bit concerning.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
This is Game 1, for real. The error of Fleury is behind us.

In the name of the Mario, the Sid, and the holy Vokoun, amen.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh

BTW, what exactly went down in the locker room last night with all the yelling and screaming from Kunitz? What was said by the players, other than "we are disappointed" "We didn't get to our game" "we have to be better" "made a lot of mistakes", blah, blah, blah...

Thats ridiculous.. Malkin's reaction to any type of turmoil is to try to take ownership and win the game on his own. Most of the time it leads to bad turnovers, but Its a product of what the team is doing, not a cause.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't necessarily disagree, but I just don't think the Penguins can survive by trading transition chances. If they can't execute the system better or tweak it to go around what the Islanders are doing, I think they need to change it up just to negate their speed. THe Penguins have a ton more scoring depth than the Islanders, they should be able to win by merely limiting their possession.

I went back and checked. The Penguins have been out-shot by the Islanders regularly all year. It's a bit concerning.

That was the trend going into the playoffs, even with all the games winning they had a high percentage shots, whether it was luck or smarts, but goaltending masked all of that cause Flower and Voukun played pretty good through hat stretch

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012

The yelling in the locker room was apparently because there were a bunch of reporters in a scrum, and the room was small so they were really jammed in there and blocked the only door so the players couldn't get out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Okay, now that the biggest issue is out of the way (Vokoun in, Fleury sitting on the bench), there's still a host of other concerns.

-Will the team finally show some intensity?
-Will the team cut it out with the stupid turnovers?
-Will the forwards help out the D?
-Will the team play physical?
-Will Bylsma finally dress the best possible lineup, rather than his version of a lineup (ie. Glass and Adams ahead of Kennedy and Vitale, Iginla stuck on LW, etc.)?

Half of my rage over this series has been alleviated by sitting the headcase in favor of Vokoun, but there's still a long way to go before I'll feel even the least bit confident of the Pens' chances of winning this series. A lot has to do with my lack of confidence in Bylsma as a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad