Pre-Game Talk: Penguins at Islanders | Game 4 | Tuesday May 7, 2013 | 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
This roster has so much quality and diversity that the coach could make decisions about lineups based on matchup. Kennedy makes sense against a team hurting us with pace, more so if he replaces someone with little pace. He probably wouldn't get the nod because of his superior decision making though...

Either way, if Neal is ready he is in. We can just hope that Dan would then go with the game 48/PO game 1 line of Kunitz Malkin Neal, as it would/should more or less guarantee a Dupuis Sid Iginla line also.

I will probably break something if Bylsma sends out Iginla Malkin Neal, and certainly I expect to find use for my extensive expat insurance package.

Either way, most importantly we have to make adjustments to our break out and zone entry prevention (preventing them from entering on occasion would be an adjustment in itself...). That is more important than any line issue, because our failings in these matters constitute the main reason we are making as many mistakes as we are. Ie. our players have little time to execute and few options, because the Isles are eating up plan A.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This roster has so much quality and diversity that the coach could make decisions about lineups based on matchup. Kennedy makes sense against a team hurting us with pace, more so if he replaces someone with little pace. He probably wouldn't get the nid because of his superior decision making though...

Either way, if Neal is ready he is in. We can just hope that Dan would then go with the game 48/PO game 1 line of Kunitz Malkin Neal, as it would/should more or less guarantee a Dupuis Sid Iginla line also.

I will probably break something if Bylsma sends out Iginla Malkin Neal, and certainly I expect to find use for my extensive expat insurance package.

Either way, most importantly we have to make adjustments to our break out zone entry prevention (preventing them from entering on occasion would be an adjustment in itself...). That is more important than any line issue, because our failings in these matters constitute the main reason we are making as many mistakes as we are. Ie. our players have little time to execute and few options, because the Isles are eating up plan A.

I feel like Kennedy's Pejorative Slured style of play is more suited for the playoffs too. I mean he's not gonna be making dangerous plays with the puck. Every time he gets it he'll be shooting it on net. You don't have to worry about turnovers so much with him because all he does is shoot at goalie crests.

There actually is a value in a guy like Kennedy constantly getting the puck on net because that produces a lot of offensive zone draws for the Pens who can then get out their big guns in the o-zone and do some damage.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I guess some fan is handing these out tomorrow at the game, they should ask Flyer fans how this turned out :laugh:.

8715274343_922e809898_o.png

Watching Crosby burn them tomorrow will be that much sweeter, can't wait.

I wonder why fans of other teams never learn that Crosby goes off when taunted. The Flyers have been beating their heads against that wall since Crosby came into the league and likely will never learn.

Hell, given how Crosby destroys teams when their fans do crap like this I would pitch in to pay for some of those signs if the Isle fans would use them.

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Man do I love when other fanbases give Crosby even more motivation. Pro tip: don't give a self-motivated person outside motivation. They'll reach another level entirely.

Isles fans didn't like the call originally. I'm sure there was a lot of "Come on man, you can't call that in OT', but I highly doubt anyone called it a dive. In their eyes, just a bad call.

Of course the two morons on NBC call it a dive, and everyone has an epiphany because they can't think for themselves. Pejorative Slured sheep, the lot of them.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Isles fans didn't like the call originally. I'm sure there was a lot of "Come on man, you can't call that in OT', but I highly doubt anyone called it a dive. In their eyes, just a bad call.

Of course the two morons on NBC call it a dive, and everyone has an epiphany because they can't think for themselves. Pejorative Slured sheep, the lot of them.

That's what I believe as well. If Milbury never said a word, it wouldn't even be a discussion.

My main point of confusion comes from the fact that everyone is harping that he "went down easy" when whether he went down at all is irrelevant. It wasn't a tripping call, it was a holding call.

It's amazing that people can't believe that Brian Strait was getting burnt by Sidney Crosby.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
If the league was giving the Pens the cup, then why are the Pens penalized as much as they are rewarded with a powerplay? Also, it should have been easy to not give Cooke a penalty on either of those even up calls. Seriously, how can a player use his stick on the bench like that and only get two minutes but if you leave the bench its 10 games?

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Said it before: Crosby beat Strait, got inside position, and leaned on him, with most of his weight on his right skate. Strait uses both of his arms to pull back on Crosby's left shoulder. That kind of leverage on his left shoulder with his weight distributed on his right skate...Does it take a savant to figure out what's going to happen next?

"Went down easy?" GTFO. Crosby scores on that play unimpeded at a higher rate than any PP. He's not diving there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I take it as a compliment.

Imagine if we were down 2 games to 1. The panic on this board would be epic. The Cindy, Diver, I even saw reference to us fixing the lottery and tanking for Mario.

Cool. It means that they feel the pressure and when people feel that way some act like five year olds. I can enjoy them squirming.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I take it as a compliment.

Imagine if we were down 2 games to 1. The panic on this board would be epic. The Cindy, Diver, I even saw reference to us fixing the lottery and tanking for Mario.

Cool. It means that they feel the pressure and when people feel that way some act like five year olds. I can enjoy them squirming.

All Crosby haters act like 5yr olds though, I've gotten used to seeing that sort of immaturity out of people though. In any case, I really hope Orpik and Neal are in the line-up for this one and I hope Vitale is back in as well, unless he's unhealthy and I haven't been keeping tabs on that. The team could use another faceoff winner that actually wins 50+ % of his draws. The fact that he can piss off the other team with his tenacity doesn't hurt either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Kennedy may play for Bennett. Who sits if Neal's back? I have a feeling it'll be Jokinen. Can't see DB sitting Glass or Adams. Crazy as that is, he'll keep them in their for the PK.

Where is this TK thing coming from? He was the last player off the ice during practice, isn't that usually an indication that he won't play tomorrow?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This roster has so much quality and diversity that the coach could make decisions about lineups based on matchup. Kennedy makes sense against a team hurting us with pace, more so if he replaces someone with little pace. He probably wouldn't get the nod because of his superior decision making though...

Either way, most importantly we have to make adjustments to our break out and zone entry prevention (preventing them from entering on occasion would be an adjustment in itself...). That is more important than any line issue, because our failings in these matters constitute the main reason we are making as many mistakes as we are. Ie. our players have little time to execute and few options, because the Isles are eating up plan A.

Might as well make an early call to your insurance company. I think it's a 99% chance you'll be breaking something tomorrow night.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Might as well make an early call to your insurance company. I think it's a 99% chance you'll be breaking something tomorrow night.

At this point, I would take it if the lineup is entirely healthy tomorrow night. Yes, Bylsma is making us fight with one arm tied behind our backs with his stupidity. But that one arm left is pretty impressive even when it is misused. Just give us a ****ing healthy lineup (relatively, Malkin obviously has been nursing shoulder issues) for the first time this playoffs and I will be satisfied.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At this point, I would take it if the lineup is entirely healthy tomorrow night. Yes, Bylsma is making us fight with one arm tied behind our backs with his stupidity. But that one arm left is pretty impressive even when it is misused. Just give us a ****ing healthy lineup (relatively, Malkin obviously has been nursing shoulder issues) for the first time this playoffs and I will be satisfied.

I get what you're saying, but at this point I'm kind of frustrated with how they've played the past two games. Call it my boiling point or whatnot. So even with a healthy roster, if Bylsma comes up with his stupid line combos, it'll push me over the edge. Especially if the line continues to look lost and he makes no changes, I won't be able to enjoy the game if I'm screaming curses at the TV.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
There was a fist fight over Nascar or the NBA playoffs on sunday, seven hour lockdown, went in Pens down 2-0. Got home today and watched sundays game... Pens PP deadlier than the shanks I heard about upstate.

Bennett and Sid have chemistry.

Sid, Bennett, Kunitz
Geno, Dupes, Neal

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just win.

Win tomorrow and the Pens have 2 of the remaining 3 at home and only need 1. However sloppy we have been the past couple of games, the Isles are not a team who is a bad matchup for us, quite the opposite. Which is different from last year with the Flyers.

The Pens need to play as if this is the closeout game where it means that they win and they advance. In my opinion, if they win it basically would be.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
I can tell you one thing about tomorrow's game...crosby's game winning assist to Kunitz now makes it almost a billion to one that Iginla plays with Crosby...we all know its gonna be Kunitz and dupuis with Crosby...and Neal and Iginla with malkin.

Neal back with malkin (hopefully tomorrow night) is going to be huge...those guys click together.

When it comes to Kennedy, I don't understand why everyone wants him to play? He will be decent for one game when he feels like he has to win a roster spot...then everyone will want him to sit...honestly glass does his job out there; it's not like we can expect him to score he's on the forth line...if we are worried about whether DB is playing Kennedy over glass we are arguing over pennies/pocket change

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I can tell you one thing about tomorrow's game...crosby's game winning assist to Kunitz now makes it almost a billion to one that Iginla plays with Crosby...we all know its gonna be Kunitz and dupuis with Crosby...and Neal and Iginla with malkin.

Neal back with malkin (hopefully tomorrow night) is going to be huge...those guys click together.

The only hope I have is that Bylsma moves Kunitz to Malkin's line to re-unite the line that was successful last year, leaving Iginla and Dupuis as Crosby's wingers. There is no other scenario I could see where Iginla ends up on Crosby's line other than that one.

Let me just state that I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong, and see Iginla and Malkin light it up tomorrow and for the rest of the playoffs. I'd rather be wrong and have to give Bylsma credit after the Pens win the Cup, than be right and be cursing Bylsma for insisting on that line.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
All I know is regardless of what the lines are tomorrow I hope James Neal is healthy and ready to go because Malkin needs him. You could put Tanner Glass out there with those two and they'd still look dominant together. They just have uncanny chemistry.

We've really missed James the past two games. He's the type of offensive weapon that can really put us over the top offensively. Isles can barely contain our offense as is and you add one more weapon to that? It'd be really tough for them.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
On the Isles board about the Crosby diving signs...

Personally, I feel like if the Coliseum is filled with 1,000's of those Crosby signs, that it will just motivate him that much more. Let's be real, we don't need this guy to be any more motivated. He already destroys us, let's not make it worse.

...At least some of the fans are starting to see that if you taunt the guy he goes out there like he was shot out of a cannon. Personally... I hope this isnt a trend, I want all respective divisional rivals or playoff foe fan bases to be absolutely benign to this fact and taunt Crosby without mercy or quarter for any and every game he is on the ice.

And I say this... For the betterment of him, the team, and us as fans... I hope oppositions, and opposition fan bases show absolutely no morals or restraint in their taunting of this man.

Because at the end of the day... And the score sheet. Along with Crosby, we will all be smiling.

:nod:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yep Crosby will say the booing doesn't motivate him any more but when he gets heavily booed it always seems like he finds that little bit extra.

I say, bring on the hate. That type of thing rubs off on the players too and you might see the Islanders trying to goon it up which if the Pens respond properly will just lead to powerplays for us and/or a frustrated Isles team off its game.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
All I know is regardless of what the lines are tomorrow I hope James Neal is healthy and ready to go because Malkin needs him. You could put Tanner Glass out there with those two and they'd still look dominant together. They just have uncanny chemistry.

We've really missed James the past two games. He's the type of offensive weapon that can really put us over the top offensively. Isles can barely contain our offense as is and you add one more weapon to that? It'd be really tough for them.

I agree with you 100%, but just to chime in... I hope that Neal inserted back into the lineup does not drop Bennett out... The kid simply belongs in the lineup. He makes no or extremely manageable mistakes in play and with the puck. He is a great secondary scoring threat. And back checks like an absolute madman.

If it comes down to Neal or Bennett both at 100% in the lineup, you pick Neal simply because of his chemistry with Malkin. But if it comes down to Bennett being benched over Kennedy, Glass, Adams, etc... Then I pray DB see's BB's effort and play out there and plays him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad