Friedman: Penguins among teams ready to make a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems like they could use a top 4 D, and maybe a difference making forward. It would probably be picks/propects + Brassard (for cap purposes).

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Brassard definitely getting traded.

Could also see Maatta being dealt.

Needs:

3C
Top 6 LW
Top 4 D (Maatta is fine in our top 4 but would like a faster D man)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR’s magic has run out. He’s had two very bad off seasons, I’m afraid of what he will do now since he’s desperate. I hope he’s not dumb enough to believe Sheahan is a suitable 3C.

I assume the Penguins have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. I don’t think we have the assets necessary to acquire any quick fixes.

Maatta sucks and Brassard has killed his value. Maybe JR trades their first round pick?? He has to find find a Lw to play with Malkin.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
JR’s magic has run out. He’s had two very bad off seasons, I’m afraid of what he will do now since he’s desperate. I hope he’s not dumb enough to believe Sheahan is a suitable 3C.

I assume the Penguins have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. I don’t think we have the assets necessary to acquire any quick fixes.

Maatta sucks and Brassard has killed his value. Maybe JR trades their first round pick?? He has to find find a Lw to play with Malkin.

Step away from the ledge. Gloom and doom I will pleasantly wait and see what Rutherford does. I liked both his trades so far this season and while the Brassard trade didn’t work out it was a good move. I have faith that Rutherford will make a good attempt to improve the roster. It is a good bet our 1st round pick and Brassard who is worth a 1st round pick will be two of the assets used to upgrade at Center or LW.

Pens won 2 Cups with Maatta in the top 4 so I don’t see a trade for a defenseman. I think Rutherford will bring in an impact Center using 1st, Brassard/1st, and prospect. I see the lineup looking like this after the deadline or sooner.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Duchene/Eric Staal/?-Kessel
Aston-Reese-Cullen-Sheahan

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
Riikola-Rhuwedel

Murray
DeSmith

Most likely going to give Blueger a shot next season at 3C or 4C and find another permanent option in the summer. If Rutherford can get an impact Center I believe he will. He tried hard for Duchene before Sens got him and traded for Brassard thinking he would be an impact Center for the 3rd line. I don’t see Rutherford looking for a lesser type average 3C. If Rutherford replaces Brassard it will be for a very good Center even if it is a rental.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Cool story Bro

That 31 thoughts isn't even 31 most of the time. He will discuss one thing and then just continue it with another number.

#thinkingoutloud

Reactions: Lustaf and gab6511

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the Pens management is smart, they retool the roster in the off season and go younger, better and hungry. Hard for a Kessel, and maybe Malkin to have that drive to do whatever it takes to win. Nothing suggests they don't want to, just after two cups and the third year which was really a grind, just being stale is what happens.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Pens problem is depth and they could use some cheap ELC where the players provides value.

- They have traded their 1st in 4 drafts in a row. Will this year make it 5?
- Look at what they have to show for their prospect pool since they drafted Crosby? Good luck following that trail. Like the Blackhawks, they are in desperate need of top prospects who can be top of the line-up players.

I guess they won back to back cups so the pain today is worth it. Can Crosby and Malkin lead them into another deep playoff run? It's very possible and I never will bet against Crosby ever again.

Show me the depth problem? Two good goalies and we just had to trade a defenseman because we had 9 NHL defenseman. We have Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Cullen, and Sheahan for Center depth which is really good depth. Just traded Grant because we had no room for him at Center on our team. We have Blueger just called up who is a two way Center having a great year in the AHL and is 4th in goals with 21 and is a +20. Center depth is pretty strong. So only chance left for you to prove Pens need more depth is wing, oh wait Pens have Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Rust, Pearson, Simon, Aston-Reese, and use Sheahan as 8th winger because we have no room for him at Center. So tell me the depth issue again please?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pens problem is depth and they could use some cheap ELC where the players provides value.

- Look at what they have to show for their prospect pool since they drafted Crosby? Good luck following that trail. Like the Blackhawks, they are in desperate need of top prospects who can be top of the line-up players.

I guess they won back to back cups so the pain today is worth it. Can Crosby and Malkin lead them into another deep playoff run? It's very possible and I never will bet against Crosby ever again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Show me the depth problem? Two good goalies and we just had to trade a defenseman because we had 9 NHL defenseman. We have Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Cullen, and Sheahan for Center depth which is really good depth. Just traded Grant because we had no room for him at Center on our team. We have Blueger just called up who is a two way Center having a great year in the AHL and is 4th in goals with 21 and is a +20. Center depth is pretty strong. So only chance left for you to prove Pens need more depth is wing, oh wait Pens have Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Rust, Pearson, Simon, Aston-Reese, and use Sheahan as 8th winger because we have no room for him at Center. So tell me the depth issue again please?

Pens live on the top end talent. More than any other team. When you got guys like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, you can do that.

If your depth was as good as you say it is, I would have the Pens as the undisputed cup contender over the Caps, Lightning, Leafs, Jets, Preds. But the depth is not there like some of those other teams IMO.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Can you please show us the depth problem? Waiting for it? What position has the depth problem? We had to trade Grant because we did not have room to keep 6 NHL centers on the roster anymore and we did not want to lose him for nothing by putting him on waivers. So at Center Pens have Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Cullen, and Sheahan with Blueger lighting up the AHL with 21 goals which is 4th in the league and he is +20 and he just got a call up today. Defenseman? We just traded one because we had 9 NHL defensemen on our roster with Schultz coming back soon. Then we go to winger with Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Rust, Pearson, Simon, Aston-Reese, and Sheahan used as the 8th winger because we have no room at Center for him. That is a very strong group also. Goalie? 2 time Cup winner and DeSmith with Jarry in the AHL is pretty strong group also.

So please enlighten me about the depth problem the Pens have. You do know we have our top 7 defenseman all back next year, both goalies, and our top 7 scoring forwards and 8 of our top 9. So with only needing to replace Brassard at 3C and a couple 4th liners for next season how do the Pens have a depth problem? I think most teams would love to have that problem. In a salary cap league it is hard to have a perfect player at every position but the Pens are pretty close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad