Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ron Hainsey (50% retained) from Carolina for a 2nd and Kristo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He played 21:08 and I barely noticed him. I consider this a good thing for the type of player he is. 1 shot, 4 hits, 1 block, and +1. I have zero complaints about his debut performance.

Yeah, he played very well last night. If he plays like this consistently, I'd love to bring him back next year.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He played 21:08 and I barely noticed him. I consider this a good thing for the type of player he is. 1 shot, 4 hits, 1 block, and +1. I have zero complaints about his debut performance.

Add some successful PK time, which is a huge part of his game, and he has barely had time to become familiar with the system yet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
A few times I noticed him completely box out his guy and keep them away from the net. It was very weird to see a Penguin do that :laugh:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
A few times I noticed him completely box out his guy and keep them away from the net. It was very weird to see a Penguin do that :laugh:

True. I went on record as aggressively disliking the trade but I hope that's what he can bring consistently. I've seen him torched so many times over the years on the rush but he does seem oddly more conformable when pinned a little in their zone. Probably because he's use to it with the crap teams he's played on. :laugh:

One game certainly won't change my mind, but credit where credit is due. He did well in a very tough game to be thrown into.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If we can swing a deal, having a top 10 of whoever we bring in, Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Daley, Cole, Schultz, Hainsey, Ruhwedel, and Gaunce will be more than enough to get us through the playoffs. I'd be real happy with that squad.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Gill/Scuderi pairing where the sum is exponentially more than the parts.

More than the sum of its parts? That pairing was awful. They couldn't ever get the puck out of their own zone, which is kind of to be expected when Hal Gill is the pairing's best puck-mover. With Dumo/Hainsey, you're at least looking at two okay skaters who can pass the puck.

That said, I doubt that pairing stays together once Letang is back. One of Dumo and Hainsey will stick with Letang, and the other will move down to help out Rudeweasel.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
More than the sum of its parts? That pairing was awful. They couldn't ever get the puck out of their own zone, which is kind of to be expected when Hal Gill is the pairing's best puck-mover.

Agreed. That pairing had more to do with Crosby's lack of production in the finals than Zetterberg & Lidstrom did. It was a good thing they were so good at taking away time and space without the puck because they spent 80% of their shifts hemmed into the defensive zone.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Agreed. That pairing had more to do with Crosby's lack of production in the finals than Zetterberg & Lidstrom did. It was a good thing they were so good at taking away time and space without the puck because they spent 80% of their shifts hemmed into the defensive zone.

Having Crosby, Malkin and Staal down the middle won us that cup. Detroit had Datsyuk on one leg and still took us to a very close 7. We were VERY lucky to beat them.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
More than the sum of its parts? That pairing was awful. They couldn't ever get the puck out of their own zone, which is kind of to be expected when Hal Gill is the pairing's best puck-mover. With Dumo/Hainsey, you're at least looking at two okay skaters who can pass the puck.

That said, I doubt that pairing stays together once Letang is back. One of Dumo and Hainsey will stick with Letang, and the other will move down to help out Rudeweasel.

No, Scuderi and Gill were not awful. That's simply incorrect.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Individually, they had their uses. Together, they were awful.

Not that this argument is relevant to a Dumo-Hainsey pairing, since both of those guys are very significantly better with the puck than Gill and Scuderi were.

except for the part where they were getting top even strength minutes against top matchups on route to winning a cup.

Saved

Jun 9, 2014
Prime Rob Scuderi a.k.a "The Piece" a.k.a 2017 Conn Smythe Winner a.k.a Ron Hainsey a.k.a JESUS RON HAINSEY

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It may have been the sweet sweet camera angles but Hainsey looked massive out there last night.

Hainsey and Dumoulin are the same size, and they are the biggest defensemen we have.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Hainsey and Dumoulin are the same size, and they are the biggest defensemen we have.

According to the Penguins official site.

Dumo 6'4 207

Hainsey 6'3 210

I too thought Hainsey was bigger. For some reason he just looked thicker/more solid that Dumo.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hainsey could be next years Cullen. Vet who adds a nice solid play and doesn't cost much. Schultz, Dumo RFA are signed and Letang, Olli and Cole are part of the D men. Pens need to add, but that is still a very good core.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
True. I went on record as aggressively disliking the trade but I hope that's what he can bring consistently. I've seen him torched so many times over the years on the rush but he does seem oddly more conformable when pinned a little in their zone. Probably because he's use to it with the crap teams he's played on. :laugh:

One game certainly won't change my mind, but credit where credit is due. He did well in a very tough game to be thrown into.

Low-energy loser! BAD hombre!
You're completely ruining my chances to poke fun at your earlier statements. That's what message boards are for, damnit! :laugh:

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Hainsey could be next years Cullen. Vet who adds a nice solid play and doesn't cost much. Schultz, Dumo RFA are signed and Letang, Olli and Cole are part of the D men. Pens need to add, but that is still a very good core.

Interesting that JR got Hainsey for 2 million a year and Francis gave him the larger contract he currently has.

Certainly wouldn't be out of the question on either party to sign for say 1.5 million as a bottom pairing for a final cup run, but that's too far away to tell for now.

Also I'm glad Pens don't have to pay a Hanzal-esque price of 1st, a 2nd, and perhaps another 2nd for a rental or you know Roman Polak's two 2nd round picks

mgd525

May 18, 2007
A few times I noticed him confused and thinking too much but it wasn't real obvious because he just relied on instinct. No fault to him he had a really solid game and especially for a first appearance in a new system. When a defensive D man plays over 20 minutes and you don't notice them much....That's a wonderful thing.

Like I said before a lot of people are out to lunch on Hainsey and he's going to help this team a lot in there own zone and especially the pk. I also think he would be a wonderful mentor for Dumo being the same size, skillset and basically same ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad