Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ron Hainsey (50% retained) from Carolina for a 2nd and Kristo

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Welcome Hollywood Hainsey. 2nd is a bit much, but he's certainly more than just depth.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Honestly, this was almost required at this point. Daley might be having surgery, Maatta out for 5 more weeks. Schultz still out. We needed to stop the bleeding and JR went out and did it. I think the price was too high, but at least it wasn't 2 2nds for Murray haha.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pretty big price for a rental. I watch a lot of Carolina games and man their defense is very very very suspect. It's hard to tell if it's x's and o's or just overall bad quality. Carolina is a fast pace team, so the tempo shouldn't be too big of an issue.

This is definitely going to be one of those wait and see before saying it's good or bad. I can just say Carolina has some major issues on defense.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Almost immediately Pens announce Daley is out for 6 weeks.

Carolina is retaining half on Hainsey as well it looks like.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Very nice acquisition, IMO. Hainsey is a work horse. Averaged over 22 minutes a night, and 3 minutes on the PK, for the Canes - and those numbers have held pretty consistent for years.

Grand scheme of things: the Pens gave up two 2nds for Douglas Murray 5 years ago, and they just landed a better player for a 2nd and a career AHLer. :yo:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
A 2nd round Pick for a 35 year dman when this team does not have the look of a cup contender as we sit today.

Sometimes you have accept your situation and plan for better days tomorrow. Don't like it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Pretty big price for a rental. I watch a lot of Carolina games and man their defense is very very very suspect. It's hard to tell if it's x's and o's or just overall bad quality. Carolina is a fast pace team, so the tempo shouldn't be too big of an issue.

This is definitely going to be one of those wait and see before saying it's good or bad. I can just say Carolina has some major issues on defense.

Defense is the hurricanes strong suit. Its just faulk hasnt been healthy. When healthy they have one of the best Dcores in the NHL. Faulk/slavin/hanifin/pesce is a very good top 4.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don't like that they paid a 2nd, but considering what they've paid for guys like Murray, it's not bad. They had 2 2nds last year, so this isn't a bad deal.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What needed to be done, I guess. Hope he works out well, here.

I think at least Hainsey was one of the better (realistic) targets out there.

Defense is the hurricanes strong suit. Its just faulk hasnt been healthy. When healthy they have one of the best Dcores in the NHL. Faulk/slavin/hanifin/pesce is a very good top 4.

Largely agree. They have some growing to do but I really like their defense. Pretty good now, potential to be killer in the future.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
A 2nd round Pick for a 35 year dman when this team does not have the look of a cup contender as we sit today.

Sometimes you have accept your situation and plan for better days tomorrow. Don't like it.

I don't know why people say this. They're one of the best teams in the league even with their share of injuries. Name the teams that are head and shoulders above the Penguins up to this point in the season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

And sometimes you have to go for it when you have the 3rd best record in the NHL and the draft is reportedly pretty weak.

I'm not saying this was a great trade, but it makes sense for a team in the position with the injuries they currently have.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Steigy hinted at this during the Pens Canes game. Said they were interested in him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So for now (assuming Schultz is back soon), pairings look something like:

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Hainsey-Ruhwedel

I'd still like to see another acquisition but you need a right shot or guy that plays right side.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I like it. Some will think it high because of the price of Stone, but to me that's more a reflection of Stone being overrated. We got an accomplished vet who accurately addresses our needs here. More than that, we're hurting and it needed doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad