Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Joseph Blandisi from Anaheim

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Kuhhackl and Fehr are snipers compared to Wilson, though. They might not have been able to chip in offensively often, but both were at least able to chip in with a timely goal on occasion to go along with their "intangibles". Wilson literally is a non-factor 100% of the time offensively.

There's carrying plugs by NHL standards, and then there's carrying a guy who literally cannot score at the NHL level.

The contention was that the 2016 team had "no plugs". It did. Kuhnhackl and Fehr were not only plugs, they were regulars in the lineup when everyone was healthy.

Wilson, on the other hand, is not a regular in the lineup. He's a spare forward. He's an injury replacement for the fourth line whose development will not be hurt by sitting in the press box. Sullivan has already demonstrated, repeatedly, that as soon as he has a better option on the roster, they dress ahead of Wilson. So I'm not sure why people are so worried about a throw-away quote from Rutherford - some people are just reading _way_ too much into it.

Reactions: BillPrep

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Do you think ZAR is any worse than the corpse of Kunitz that was being dragged around. I dont. He certainly isnt worse than Kuhnhackl.

The worse case senario is they shoehorn New Adventures of Old Kunitz (ZAR) in tge same role they had old Kunitz in. I dont see how having one forward thats more gritty in mold and one 14th F that serves little purpose is any different that what theyve been doing in total.

Corpse Kunitz dragged down Malkin and Crosby like a rusty anchor. So I’m supposed to be happy about a young guy that’s not even as good as Corpse Kunitz playing with them because.... ?

Makes no sense.

I get what you are trying to say, but you are missing the obvious point that because they are chasing grit, one young guy is being viewed as something he’s not, and two (supposedly gritty) plugs have held back younger players from getting a chance.

If the Pens decided to play TK and Mouillierat in 2015-16 when injuries hit because they liked their grit and leadership in lieu of Rust and Sheary, I’m 100% sure that season turns out differently in a bad way.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Corpse Kunitz dragged down Malkin and Crosby like a rusty anchor. So I’m supposed to be happy about a young guy that’s not even as good as Corpse Kunitz playing with them because.... ?

Makes no sense.

I get what you are trying to say, but you are missing the obvious point that because they are chasing grit, one young guy is being viewed as something he’s not, and two (supposedly gritty) plugs have held back younger players from getting a chance.

If the Pens decided to play TK and Mouillierat in 2015-16 when injuries hit because they liked their grit and leadership in lieu of Rust and Sheary, I’m 100% sure that season turns out differently in a bad way.

I think as long as its just in as as need basis i dint have much of a problem with playing the guy once in a while.

I think they view the taxi squad guy loke Wilson as a seperate entity. If he was playing as a long term 4c over a guy like Blueger i get the problem but hes the hockey equivalent of a donut tire.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
As far as this Blandisi guy goes it would seem that he has good wheels, is pesty, has decent hands and has put up respectable numbers so i dont know if he is attrocious defensively or what but im eager to give him a look and very curious to the fatal flaw.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
As far as this Blandisi guy goes it would seem that he has good wheels, is pesty, has decent hands and has put up respectable numbers so i dont know if he is attrocious defensively or what but im eager to give him a look and very curious to the fatal flaw.
He needs to find a way to enamor Sully to him right off bat. Needs to play the right way, with swagger, and he’ll be fine.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He needs to find a way to enamor Sully to him right off bat. Needs to play the right way, with swagger, and he’ll be fine.

Well if he fancies himself Brad Marchand, that should be easy...

If he’s more like Adams, then hopefully he can bring good coffee...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The contention was that the 2016 team had "no plugs". It did. Kuhnhackl and Fehr were not only plugs, they were regulars in the lineup when everyone was healthy.

Wilson, on the other hand, is not a regular in the lineup. He's a spare forward. He's an injury replacement for the fourth line whose development will not be hurt by sitting in the press box. Sullivan has already demonstrated, repeatedly, that as soon as he has a better option on the roster, they dress ahead of Wilson. So I'm not sure why people are so worried about a throw-away quote from Rutherford - some people are just reading _way_ too much into it.

Kuhnhackl had a pretty good rookie season. I wouldn’t call him a plug. He obviously regressed every year after but he was good in 2015/16.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Reading around tonight and seems it was a combo of wanting to try out the Blueger's etc. and the fear of losing Grant for nothing in doing so.
JR said gives the team more flexibility with call ups and specifically mentioned Blueger deserving a chance.

All of that was fine for me but then he heaped praise on Wilson, loving his "leadership"?

Anywho, won't matter when everyones healthy and it seems JR has no worry of losing Wilson on waivers vs a guy like Grant. So if Wilson or Blandisi don't jump out in a great way, i expect Blueger to finally get his number called.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think as long as its just in as as need basis i dint have much of a problem with playing the guy once in a while.

I think they view the taxi squad guy loke Wilson as a seperate entity. If he was playing as a long term 4c over a guy like Blueger i get the problem but hes the hockey equivalent of a donut tire.

I was kind of happy after reading about the trade and hearing they got a fast, decently skilled guy with grit.

Then I read the silly quotes about Wilson and it’s like wtf... dude is a journeyman plug that hasn’t even scored an NHL goal yet and can barely handle the puck.

Maybe this new guy will do well and remind them of what speed and a little skill can do.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I was kind of happy after reading about the trade and hearing they got a fast, decently skilled guy with grit.

Then I read the silly quotes about Wilson and it’s like wtf... dude is a journeyman plug that hasn’t even scored an NHL goal yet and can barely handle the puck.

Maybe this new guy will do well and remind them of what speed and a little skill can do.

Hopefully he fits well because on paper he seems like a good 4th liner in todays nhl

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They could use a C. Greg McKegg is currently their 2C :laugh:

Team Line Combinations

I know...I keep thinking why couldn’t CAR and the Pens just swap FAs....they get a C in Brass and we get Ferland...they’re both quality players who are unlikely to sign with either club but we both get some needed help for a PO push...

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I know...I keep thinking why couldn’t CAR and the Pens just swap FAs....they get a C in Brass and we get Ferland...they’re both quality players who are unlikely to sign with either club but we both get some needed help for a PO push...
I know Brassard is having an off year, but come on, no way that's a 1:1 trade. But, make it a sign and trade for both players, CAR adds a pick, and I'm down.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know Brassard is having an off year, but come on, no way that's a 1:1 trade. But, make it a sign and trade for both players, CAR adds a pick, and I'm down.

I don’t know if Brass has any interest in signing with CAR but that’s too hard to organize a joint sign and trade...not to mention, Ferland thinks he’s worth $6 mil + a year and no way should we be signing him for that....it seems like he’s going to be hard to sign

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I don’t know if Brass has any interest in signing with CAR but that’s too hard to organize a joint sign and trade...not to mention, Ferland thinks he’s worth $6 mil + a year and no way should we be signing him for that....it seems like he’s going to be hard to sign
Yeah, the whole thing is just a dream. Not to mention that means unless there's a second trade we have Sheahan as our 3C. JR has his work cut out for him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Zar has more upside

The defense is far from"dont hurt us players". And the you have the 13f of the day.

I mean jesus, if people need to find an excuse to *****, just watch the news.

That's rich coming from someone who's spent half a thread complaining about people having a different view point on the internet :laugh:

But anyway, sure ZAR has more upside. But he has been promoted quicker than his performances deserve, and given more rope than he deserves, because they think he has physicality and grit. I've rarely seen those qualities in him; au contraire, I've rarely seen a 4th liner lose so many board battles.

They got Jack Johnson because he hit a lot and was tough. They got him a ridiculous contract too. He is, in fairness, justifying his cap hit for now. But he's still a guy who they got to be a tougher team who isn't all that tough and isn't all that great. And Oleksiak, Oleksiak is definitely a "don't hurt us" player. Sure, I think they were getting more from him as a player, but they definitely like him because he's really big.

And there we are. Three non-plugs who don't really fit the template for Penguins hockey were we used superior skating, intellect and puck handling to really force the pace of the game - they've got maybe one of those attributes each. And they're not all that tough. And sure, they're not a big issue individually, but add them together - and add in the use of plugs who hit a lot rather than being intelligent with good hands - and its trending that way. And we don't know where it ends. Moving a decently handsy 13th forward partly because he wasn't physical enough and so they can give more rope to Wilson? Not a big deal on its own, but worrying as part of a trend.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
That's rich coming from someone who's spent half a thread complaining about people having a different view point on the internet :laugh:

But anyway, sure ZAR has more upside. But he has been promoted quicker than his performances deserve, and given more rope than he deserves, because they think he has physicality and grit. I've rarely seen those qualities in him; au contraire, I've rarely seen a 4th liner lose so many board battles.

They got Jack Johnson because he hit a lot and was tough. They got him a ridiculous contract too. He is, in fairness, justifying his cap hit for now. But he's still a guy who they got to be a tougher team who isn't all that tough and isn't all that great. And Oleksiak, Oleksiak is definitely a "don't hurt us" player. Sure, I think they were getting more from him as a player, but they definitely like him because he's really big.

And there we are. Three non-plugs who don't really fit the template for Penguins hockey were we used superior skating, intellect and puck handling to really force the pace of the game - they've got maybe one of those attributes each. And they're not all that tough. And sure, they're not a big issue individually, but add them together - and add in the use of plugs who hit a lot rather than being intelligent with good hands - and its trending that way. And we don't know where it ends. Moving a decently handsy 13th forward partly because he wasn't physical enough and so they can give more rope to Wilson? Not a big deal on its own, but worrying as part of a trend.

ZAR got more time on the ice this season more because of his defensive work coupled with the fact that he has produced ok given his deployment. 30 point pace with low minutes and 69.5 D zone starts. Sully has mentioned in interviews they like his work at the other end of the ice. Having said that his ATOI is 13:21 and he has only cracked the 16 minute mark 4 times this season out of 30.

They got JJ to replace the physicality of what Cole brought and being Sid’s BFF.

Oleksiak, Gonchar saw something in him and thought he’d be a buy low player. Yes he’s a big fighter as well but having an enforcer on the team was a directive from Sid and Geno which is why we got Reaves in the first place. Oleksiak is 7th in ATOI (as he was last year) so I don’t think Sully is really that keen on him. He’ll be 8th in the depth chart too when Schultz returns soon. I don’t think he’ll be on our team soon. He hasn’t improved like they’d have hoped.

When healthy this would be our best team currently

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Brassard-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

The forwards mostly played from last year take out Reaves, Hagelin, Sheary, Rowney, Kuhnhackl and add in ZAR, Pearson, Simon, Cullen and Brassard this season.

Now with the starting D take out Cole and Oleksiak and add in Johnson and Pettersson. Obviously Schultz and Pettersson have played less than Oleksiak and Riikola this season but they’ll be in our top 6 D when healthy (and we’ve only recently acquired MP)

I just don’t see that as a worrying trend. Wilson is a strange one but Sully doesn’t put him on the ice that much so it doesn’t seem he wants him and it doesn’t look like he will really play going forward.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

First of all im not complainig im discussing. Im not having a minny hissy because of a throw away quote about a 14th f.

But back on topic... your entire arguments rest with 2 players that will be in a healthy lineup. One that started in the AHL, played well was promoted to the 4th line and has only played above that when people are hurt.

The other is literally the number 6 defenseman.

The other guy likely wont even be on the roster when it matters.

If you believe that is "getting away from the identity" i dont think you were playing close enough attention.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
ZAR got more time on the ice this season more because of his defensive work coupled with the fact that he has produced ok given his deployment. 30 point pace with low minutes and 69.5 D zone starts. Sully has mentioned in interviews they like his work at the other end of the ice. Having said that his ATOI is 13:21 and he has only cracked the 16 minute mark 4 times this season out of 30.

They got JJ to replace the physicality of what Cole brought and being Sid’s BFF.

Oleksiak, Gonchar saw something in him and thought he’d be a buy low player. Yes he’s a big fighter as well but having an enforcer on the team was a directive from Sid and Geno which is why we got Reaves in the first place. Oleksiak is 7th in ATOI (as he was last year) so I don’t think Sully is really that keen on him. He’ll be 8th in the depth chart too when Schultz returns soon. I don’t think he’ll be on our team soon. He hasn’t improved like they’d have hoped.

When healthy this would be our best team currently

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Brassard-Kessel
Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

The forwards mostly played from last year take out Reaves, Hagelin, Sheary, Rowney, Kuhnhackl and add in ZAR, Pearson, Simon, Cullen and Brassard this season.

Now with the starting D take out Cole and Oleksiak and add in Johnson and Pettersson. Obviously Schultz and Pettersson have played less than Oleksiak and Riikola this season but they’ll be in our top 6 D when healthy (and we’ve only recently acquired MP)

I just don’t see that as a worrying trend. Wilson is a strange one but Sully doesn’t put him on the ice that much so it doesn’t seem he wants him and it doesn’t look like he will really play going forward.

I don't think much of that is mutually exclusive with what I said. Gonchar seeing something in Oleksiak doesn't mean Rutherford wasn't excited by the size.

In any case, the why maybe isn't all that important. We're slower and dumber, and our added size doesn't play big. Whatever their reasons, that's not good.

And the idea that Sully isn't keen on Wilson makes things worse, not better.

I'll wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad