Post-Game Talk: Penguins 6, Islanders 2 - In Memory of He Who DegenX Says Shall Not Be Named

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Still trying to figure out how that Sheahen goal A) was called a goal in the first place and B) wasn't challenged? I mean I'll take it but that seemed iffy at best.

Fun game though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jiggy touched on Brass, and I think that's how I would describe him. He's so casual in how he plays. There will be a couple shifts were he brings it, and then he'll fade into the background for another handful of games. He's not a disaster by any means, but he's so underwhelming. Things could change, but he has to be the most disappointing acquisition since Iginla.
Agreed, he seems like he has quite a bit of uneven efforts here. If he can be consistently engaged, it could do wonders for us.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pls trade Maatta and let Riikola get back in the lineup.

Pettersson is good btw, I really like what I've seen from him. If he adds more bulk and further develops his offensive game, watch out.

So just watching Pettersson a little closer and rewinding a bit on some of his shifts, he has that front facing shot block mentality that Ian Cole had. I think that's insanely crucial for the team because those turn into transition very quickly. It's something our team desperately missed. I think our blocked shots were inflated because how many attempted shots against we were getting, but the guy brings that front facing mentality and I like it. It's a VERY hard style to play because you look like an idiot if it doesn't work. I thought Cole did it brilliantly.

Guys like Maatta/JJ/Oleksiak try to "box out" which creates dual traffic for the goalie. Sometimes fronting the guy creates a better angle for the goalie and you block the shot and transition at the same time.

Thought this game was 10x better for the kid than last.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
This defense might not look like total **** if we'd trade Maatta, put in Riikola and Schultz comes back.

Pettersson doesn't have much offense to his game, but there were a few plays where he broke up some plays off the rush and turned it the other way quickly. We've been missing that like a mother****er.
I love Pettersson's wing span. And he looks like he has the mobility and the good sense of when to use it.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Guentzel Crosby Kessel

nf5r1z.gif
Is he doing "the bird", with Morris Day and The Time?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Because Bryan Rust has been liquid poo this year and they have another injury to a RWer with Simon.

You're giving too much credit to watery feces.

Jiggy touched on Brass, and I think that's how I would describe him. He's so casual in how he plays. There will be a couple shifts were he brings it, and then he'll fade into the background for another handful of games. He's not a disaster by any means, but he's so underwhelming. Things could change, but he has to be the most disappointing acquisition since Iginla.

Agree with that wholeheartedly. I like the guy, and I still think he can help, but yeah. You're right.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
I genuinely have no idea what you're trying to say here.

I heard some old man say that to someone tonight and wanted to take it for a spin. My usage was a little loose, but I think your what-if scenario is highly unlikely. You are basically saying what if Pettersson becomes Hedman.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So just watching Pettersson a little closer and rewinding a bit on some of his shifts, he has that front facing shot block mentality that Ian Cole had. I think that's insanely crucial for the team because those turn into transition very quickly. It's something our team desperately missed. I think our blocked shots were inflated because how many attempted shots against we were getting, but the guy brings that front facing mentality and I like it. It's a VERY hard style to play because you look like an idiot if it doesn't work. I thought Cole did it brilliantly.

Guys like Maatta/JJ/Oleksiak try to "box out" which creates dual traffic for the goalie. Sometimes fronting the guy creates a better angle for the goalie and you block the shot and transition at the same time.

By the way, this may be partially a reason why that 2016 team was so good on transition while having somewhat weak puck movers. Lovejoy was excellent at this too. You had Cole and Lovejoy who were really good at shot blocking and Daley, Schultz and Letang as strong puck movers, that's a good recipe for having a strong puck moving D group.

I heard some old man say that to someone tonight and wanted to take it for a spin. My usage was a little loose, but I think your what-if scenario is highly unlikely. You are basically saying what if Pettersson becomes Hedman.

Not really, I don't even think Pettersson think he can reach Hedman's offensive talents. Pettersson may be able to develop his offensive game further than what many expect, though. If he comes a consistent 30 point defenseman, similar to what Hampus Lindholm has been at, that's a good bit below Hedman. I'm not saying "what if Pettersson reaches Letang's offensive ability", I'm just talking about him developing a stronger offensive game.

I think Pettersson's absolute best case scenario is getting to where Lindholm was before this year, a ~30 point #2 defenseman who's stronger defensively than offensively.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So...

If Simon and Hornqvist are out.

Jake-Crosby-Kessel
Pearson-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brassard-Sheahan
Wilson-Grant-?

Yuck

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
By the way, this may be partially a reason why that 2016 team was so good on transition while having somewhat weak puck movers. Lovejoy was excellent at this too. You had Cole and Lovejoy who were really good at shot blocking and Daley, Schultz and Letang as strong puck movers, that's a good recipe for having a strong puck moving D group.

Not really, I don't even think Pettersson think he can reach Hedman's offensive talents. Pettersson may be able to develop his offensive game further than what many expect, though. If he comes a consistent 30 point defenseman, similar to what Hampus Lindholm has been at, that's a good bit below Hedman. I'm not saying "what if Pettersson reaches Letang's offensive ability", I'm just talking about him developing a stronger offensive game.

I think Pettersson's absolute best case scenario is getting to where Lindholm was before this year, a ~30 point #2 defenseman who's stronger defensively than offensively.

The main thing about Lovejoy and Cole is they don’t hang on to the puck. Watch Oleksiak and Maatta tonight and they constantly are giving their back to the forwards. You rarely saw that from those two. If they were, it was pretty much a guaranteed goal against.

Instead we have Olli and Oleksiak who think they are quasi PMD’s when in reality they just Quasimodos.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So...

If Simon and Hornqvist are out.

Jake-Crosby-Kessel
Pearson-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brassard-Sheahan
Wilson-Grant-?

Yuck

I’m going to fix this for you since Sully only appears to be playing a few players over and over again...
Jake-Sid-Phil
Brass-G-Sheahan
ZAR-Sid-Rust
Di Pauli- G- Angello

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I love Pettersson's wing span. And he looks like he has the mobility and the good sense of when to use it.

That was one of the good things about Hainsey. He had a really long reach to break up passes and timed them well

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m very worried about Horny...whatever this is seems ominous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad