Post-Game Talk: Penguins 6, Islanders 2 - In Memory of He Who DegenX Says Shall Not Be Named

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If they insist on keeping ZAR there, then yeah absolutely.

If they get their head out of their ass and use Rust on LW in the only role where he's useful, then I'd go that route.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but right now I've more trust in ZAR than Rust. I know Rust can be better, but he's got to show his touch again before I'd give him looks with the big boys.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If his usage doesn't change, I think he'll be in different colours before that happens.

Yeah he’s trending towards a trade. Only thing I’ll say is that perhaps JR waits until the offseason to do so, similar to Sheary.

He could always turn it around and be here longer term too though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If his usage doesn't change, I think he'll be in different colours before that happens.

I'm pretty sure he'll get another look with them before getting traded, if only because right it can't be very easy to trade him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He's getting close to the pace that will have him hit 70pts, which is what I thought he would do last season before he went on some putrid sophomore slump. He had a mini one this season (while still getting assists).

But man, if he hits over 60pts, JR is going to have a really hard time signing him to that hopeful 5m/yr some people are deluded into thinking he'll sign.

JN0gHWH.gif

If he gets over 60 points, he's going to get Nylander money...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean, first off no, Lindholm isn't one of the top 1Ds in the league. Second, I was more so talking about what Lindholm was in the past few years moreso than what Lindholm is now. I'm talking about say 2016 Lindholm as Pettersson's absolute best case scenario.

Irrespective of Petersson or Dumo.. Lindholm is absolutely one of the top 1Ds in the league.

In the past, Lindholm was only a ~30 point #2 defenseman that was excellent defensively.

Nah. That’s like saying Bergeron is “only” a 50-60 point center that’s excellent defensively. You should watch Lindholm play, one of my favorite players to tune in to in the league. Brilliant defender.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Kris Letang might be the best D in hockey right now.

Playing off the McCurdy link shared by Jaded above your post, I loved this tidbit:

"they got smashed". I love it. Nelson and Lee seem like two of the guys who seem to always raise their game against the Pens, too. No slouches. Dumo and Tanger are just playing that good right now gelling so well as a pair, with the added bonus of 58's offensive side cropping up several times a game and

The way that top pair is taking shape gives me hope. I'm banking on Schultz coming back and not missing a beat (optimistic I know) but if that happens, and a one of the Olli/JJ/Oleksiask group can step up to form a quick stable partnership with him, and we can see some improvement across the guys from the bottom pair, then my optimism is way up. Hopefully by then these guys will have simplified things, and be feeding off the teams confidence and stick to a simple game. Alternately, if Rutherford can find another Hainsey/Cole-style experienced middle pair guy near the deadline that would be great too. But in that scenario, of course, 1 or 2 of our blueline misfits is probably gone.

Reactions: Turin

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Do people still have issues with Rust’s game? I feel like he is getting back to his usual level. Just needs to score a couple.
His SH% is really low around 2%, however he is miscast (surprise!) here, put him with Sid you are not doing it the favor neither to him nor to Sid, Rust is best suited for the fourth line with the occasional spark up the line up, he needs to be a player to drive the plays, best suited to play with grinders with a little bit of hands, ideally with good Cullen and someone on left flank, maybe Sheahan too, I know we paid him a tons of money so the must justify his position, but the fourth line built like that is still 12 minutes line...

I am his biggest supporter and I just don't want to see us losing his speed for another mucker (I am talking about you Pearson)

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
the game was Ok, but the concern is that Sully even at 5:2 does not trust almost half of his roster to play....adding that Geno's line was more than meh all night long, kind of sheds a little bit different light

Eh people are going to be all up Sullivan's butt until they start winning more frequently, which I get to a normal extent, just not as far as some people are taking it. In a vacuum I agree about the minutes though.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
His SH% is low -- however, I'm racking my brain to think of many high-danger chances he's generated. There's a reason it's low. Maybe not that comically low, but low nonetheless.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
His SH% is low -- however, I'm racking my brain to think of many high-danger chances he's generated. There's a reason it's low. Maybe not that comically low, but low nonetheless.

He gets some pretty good looks in the games I’ve seen. I saw a tweet saying the Pens have asked Rust to repaint the goal posts because of all the chips he’s taken out of them :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

His iHDCF stat is low, but not much lower than previous seasons and his iSCF p/60 is nigh identical to 16-17. I'd want to look at the actual chances before stating it confidently, but I think he's missing chances he'd have scored in the past.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Do people still have issues with Rust’s game? I feel like he is getting back to his usual level. Just needs to score a couple.

A couple????????????????? 3.5 MILLION for a couple???????????? Sorry to be so emphatic but after your harsh critique of Surly Sniper, you simply ask Rust to score a couple??

I want to go to the moon

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
“Harsh critique” = Asking a player to show a consistent pulse.

How about consistency from you? You are treating Rust with kid gloves... Not sure I ever got the love affair this board has had with Rust. Yes he scored some big goals, plenty of muckers have scored big goals in the playoffs through the years. The question always was where does he top out at.......HINT: it's not @ top 9 fwd for 3.5 MILLION.

yeesh

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How about consistency on from you? You are treating Rust with kid gloves... Not sure I ever got the love affair this board has had with Rust. Yes he scored some big goals, plenty of muckers have scored big goals in the playoffs through the years. The question always was where does he top out at.......HINT: it's not @ top 9 fwd for 3.5 MILLION.

yeesh

He’s been around a 40 pt pace the past two years. He’s having a really bad year.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
How about consistency from you? You are treating Rust with kid gloves... Not sure I ever got the love affair this board has had with Rust. Yes he scored some big goals, plenty of muckers have scored big goals in the playoffs through the years. The question always was where does he top out at.......HINT: it's not @ top 9 fwd for 3.5 MILLION.

yeesh

You think he tops out as a fourth liner? He's produced far better than that the last two years, and even three years ago (when he had more of a 4th line point pace) he was good in the playoffs. $3.5 mil is a pedestrian salary at this stage in the cap era. He's not playing well this year for whatever reason, but he has most certainly been a third liner that can fill in in the top 6 in the event of an injury. That's not a bad guy to have in general.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He’s been around a 40 pt pace the past two years. He’s having a really bad year.

Yup. And you're asking poor little sweat pea Rust to please score a couple to make us all feel better about him.

It's why I'm angry at the Pens organization, he is the poster child for the difference in treatment that they handle certain players. I don't hear Recchi bad mouthing Rust to his minions in the press. I don't see Sully cutting his PT???

Arrogant... I simply don't like those who rule the day currently. I hate them more than the DB era circa 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Yup. And you're asking poor little sweat pea Rust to please score a couple to make us all feel better about him.

It's why I'm angry at the Pens organization, he is the poster child for the difference in treatment that they handle certain players. I don't hear Recchi bad mouthing Rust to his minions in the press. I don't see Sully cutting his PT???

Arrogant... I simply don't like those who rule the day currently. I hate them more than the DB era circa 2012.

Nearest I can tell, it's all about attitude. Rust is a compliant hard working guy who gets along. My impression of he who shall not be named is that he is a bit cocky maybe even arrogant. Sullivan has a big ego, and whether it's insecurity or what, but a rookie that has any kind of ego and not just a humble yes sir/no sir kinda kid will clash with Sullivan. I think sullivan was trying to break Sprong, he might have even thought it was the right thing to do. Break him down and then build him up like they do in boot camp. But there was definitely a personality clash.

For all we know Sprong's attitude rubbed Crosby the wrong way and if Crosby has more sway in the org then anyone other then Lemieux.

All idle baseless speculation ;) But that's what I'm guessing from the tidbits out there. It also explains why muckers will get extended looks/chances.
Their whole careers they just had to play really hard to get every ounce out of their ceiling to eek out a living and not piss anyone off so they don't get marginalized. Rust is part of the get-a-long gang so he will get 1000x chances to straighten things out, hard work can beat talent, unless talent works hard...

Last edited by a moderator:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I exaggerate my hate for ZAR but Rust is 10x worse this year. Every player has their role. ZAR is a cheap bottom 6 plug. Rust is being paid to produce now. Rust is by far the worst Penguin, right there with Maatta, for their output vs role vs cost.

Maatta and Rust being 7m is ridiculous. Ill take riikola and a 6m player who will actually produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad