Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Sid "Product of Jake" Crosby refuses to let this team die. :laugh:
goddammit-im-not-ronnie-oneal.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Outside fan chiming in...does Sullivan not give Malkin empty net opportunities?

Second game in a week I watched where most coaches would try and get their vet the hattrick, but Malkin was again denied the chance.
Why play Malkin when you've got 50 year old Jeff Carter you can trot out there?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The "let's lose" contingent weighs in.

Did I say that outright here?? No.

I said it’s too little too late. Meaning they’ll probably try and pretend “care” for the rest of this stretch, but they’ll still come up 1-2 points short of a playoff spot when all is said done.

Plus do we really want to make the playoffs?? Doing so will probably extend Sullivan’s job here for another 10000 extra years (after this bullshit 3-year extension is over), and to watch that overpaid, joke-of-a-sieve, Jarry get lit up???

It’s not like Sullivan will know what to do either. He’s been clueless in the playoffs behind the bench for years now.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Outside fan chiming in...does Sullivan not give Malkin empty net opportunities?

Second game in a week I watched where most coaches would try and get their vet the hattrick, but Malkin was again denied the chance.
Not often, no. Malkin is still a good player, but his agility has diminished, which makes him a risk in empty net situations. He's liable to take a penalty, turn the puck over, or get out of position defensively. He's also one of the Pens weakest faceoff guys.

It doesn't make other choices (Carter) right, but that's the logic being used with Geno.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Did I ever tell you about the time Bunting went hunting? Bunting decides he's going to hunt down all four of the Banana Splits. He stalks and kills every one of them with a machette. They all begged for their lives...except Fleagle.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
lol @ demoting Smith and Puustinen.

I mean, yeah, each had a big gaffe on a play that led to a goal.

But if you're going to do this now, why did you ever play Harkins, Carter, or Nieto longer than a few games in October?
Puustinen has been sheltered for a couple weeks now. He's used regularly until the third period, and then Acciari (and now Carter) takes his place for several shifts while Puustinen, Puljujarvi, and Poulin/Bemstrom ride the bench.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Bunting +4 in this one. The board's gonna hate that.
I think it's fantastic! He was definitely a catalyst for the season saving comeback.

Watching Crosby try to pull this team to the playoffs kicking and screaming is hilarious. We don’t deserve the guy.
You might not deserve him, but I sure as hell do! I was there for the 16-58-6 season in 83-84, don't tell me what I deserve bud! I deserve only the best. Love Sid lately, but prefer McDavid of course. Mario most of all.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m hoping for 40 goals from Sid for the first time in 7-8 years and 1,000 assists.

He’s had a hell of a year with a shit PP and some slumps in there. Love that guy and hope he plays til 40 to climb as high as he can on that leaderboard after missing so many games during prime years.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Crosby is 3 assists away from 1000a, 11g away from 600g and 14pts away from 1600pts.
Malkin is 6 assists away from 800a, 6g away from 500g and 12pts away from 1300pts.

They have 7 games left to get those milestones
So, maybe next year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m hoping for 40 goals from Sid for the first time in 7-8 years and 1,000 assists.

He’s had a hell of a year with a shit PP and some slumps in there. Love that guy and hope he plays til 40 to climb as high as he can on that leaderboard after missing so many games during prime years.
Very true, he, like Mario had his prime compromised. Mario to a much larger extent, but the point remains...

Reactions: Sideline

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The Devils pulled a Penguins. Against a tired and rather pathetic Penguins team that barely showed up until the third. Pretty impressive stuff. Travis Green is like Sully but without the two Cups, it seems. Malkin is now the most hated man in Devils land. He looked so bad until the late surge but a superstar is a superstar even on aging legs.

And look, good things happen when you go to the net. Who would have thunk it? Maybe we could try it on the PP as well sometimes with players other than Grandpa Carter. Bunting seems to inspire the others to play a simpler game and that works quite well when the opponent is as bad at clearing the crease as we are.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
This isn't really a stat to brag about lol
You brag about anything you can statistically back up.

Did I say that outright here?? No.

I said it’s too little too late. Meaning they’ll probably try and pretend “care” for the rest of this stretch, but they’ll still come up 1-2 points short of a playoff spot when all is said done.

Plus do we really want to make the playoffs?? Doing so will probably extend Sullivan’s job here for another 10000 extra years (after this bullshit 3-year extension is over), and to watch that overpaid, joke-of-a-sieve, Jarry get lit up???

It’s not like Sullivan will know what to do either. He’s been clueless in the playoffs behind the bench for years now.
I think the recent win streak buys Sully another year :\. Jarry though? We may see him moved, but you know Blomqvist has to be ready for that to happen.

Bunting +4 in this one. The board's gonna hate that.
I like Bunting, what he can bring, but just felt he had been Sullified as of late. Even in this game he kept bumbling pucks, and not backchecking. He did spend more time in front of the net though.

We honestly got really lucky. Maybe makes up in some small way the number of times we kept making 0.860sv% goalies look like Vezina winners.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There are some positives to take out of this run that the team is on. I think you are seeing a ton of pride showing up. When Crosby and Malkin decide to take games over, they still can. Not as often, but it is still really impressive. Sure, we have watched these guys now for nearly 20 years, but down the stretch you appreciate just how much they want it.

Jack St. Ivany is exactly what this blueline needed. I cannot think of a better third RD when your first two are Karlsson and Letang. We all know that without that Ruhwedel trade to the Rangers, this does not happen. Let's be thankful for small miracles. It reminds me of way back when, in 2009 I think, didn't we lose a scrub fourth-line center during the season and Max Talbot replaced him and the team took off? Something like that.

I still can't stand Michael Bunting's face, but I am going to shut up about him as long as he plays this well and this inspired. He does things this team really lacked. I am happy with him, so far.

This team can score, they just forgot how for most of this season. And yeah, the PP still sucks but honestly, the personnel is there. The guy who runs it just needs to get his head out of his ass and make the right calls. Why Puustinen is not on the power play, I will never know. One of the few guys who WANTS to actually shoot the puck.

I am happy for Nedeljkovic. I wanted the team to sign him. I felt like he had a redemption season in him. Now, does that mean I would be comfortable giving him security? Probably not. But keep this train rolling and maybe the point becomes moot. Take this team to the playoffs and then the argument is probably over.

I think the Guentzel trade actually woke this team up. At first, they were pissed and they were sad and confused. There was all sorts of crazy talk about people unhappy and trade rumors, etc. But these guys probably looked at the Eastern Conference standings, and realized they actually have a shot here. And I for one am more pleased that they are trending up than playing out the string. I REALLY don't want to give SJ an unprotected first in 2025. I don't trust this team enough. They might be great next season, but they might also go into the tank. If this little run that they are on saves us from worrying all throughout 2024-25 about the first-round pick, then that is a win for me.

Hopefully Dubas has seen the light. If you trade Ruhwedel and leave Sullivan with little choice, he will play the young, obscure player and we might be surprised with the results. Reilly Smith should definitely not play for this team next season, he does not fit at all. No chemistry with either of the big two centers. His game is so inconsistent. Also, we cannot go into training camp with both Eller and Acciari on the roster. Because Sullivan will not give any shot to the likes of Poulin, Ponomarev and Yager. And we desperately need one of those guys to pan out down the middle. My preference is to trade Eller and keep Acciari because of asset management and also roster implications.

If we trade Smith, Eller and Jarry for future assets this summer, and bring in one big name free agent for the top six (Sam Reinhart?), I don't think this situation is all that bleak anymore. But for the love of gawd, Sullivan has to distribute ice time better going forward. How can Bryan Rust be a first-line winger, a first-unit PP and a first-unit PK forward? And yeah, Jeff Carter. There is no way he should be playing center now. Second-unit PK and second-unit PP, too? And he gets the ice time for key face-offs too. It is insane.

This is why it is critical that someone emerges next year. I believe both Yager and Ponomarev can kill penalties. Poulin not so much. So, this will be something to monitor. Because for Sullivan, the four guys who kill penalties up front are the most important things a hockey team has. We have three in O'Connor, Rust and I guess Acciari or Eller. A guy like Reinhart kills penalties, so that would be nice. Of course, he would make an even bigger impact on the PP (if we fire Reirden and actually hire someone with a clue).

If we beat Washington tomorrow night, then I think it is on! We probably can afford to lose one either against TB or Toronto if we win tomorrow night.

F^ck it, let's go. This is more fun than watching them lose to Chicago like last season. This team seems to have more jump than that one. Is it the younger guys? Maybe. O'Connor, Puljujarvi, Joseph, Bemstrom, Puustinen...they are bringing something to the table for sure. St. Ivany has been a dream come true. Really happy with him. Gives me Rob Scuderi and Hal Gill vibes. Or Ron Hainsey. Those are compliments, by the way.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Huge uphill climb and yes, game against the Caps is a must-win or it’s all but over…

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Puustinen has been sheltered for a couple weeks now. He's used regularly until the third period, and then Acciari (and now Carter) takes his place for several shifts while Puustinen, Puljujarvi, and Poulin/Bemstrom ride the bench.
Right. That’s been his recent usage. He was bumped to the fourth line and Bemstrom up to the third last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad