Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Flyers 4 (OT) - @ColePens Loses His **** After the 2nd, Penguins Comeback in the 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You never wanna see a key player get injured and I sure hope MM is back much sooner than later, but maybe the team can use this as a rally cry or wake up call. Hopefully they'll insulate their goalies a bit better and not hang them out to dry as much. Knowing Murrays out I'm hopeful they'll focus all the more on their defensive zone coverage. And as important, stop turning the puck over in the neutral zone or just inside the blueline thus feed the oppositions counter attack. We need to shore these areas to our game up. We have three days off, this affords them time to work on such things. And it's a lot more pleasant doing so after a winning a couple in a row.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think Malkin getting hurt might be the best thing that will happen to the Penguins this season, because that's the thing that has seemingly woken up Crosby.

It helped two seasons ago when it caused the Pens to put Kessel with Hags and Bonino. Hopefully it'll pay similar dividends this time around.:thumbu:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm still amped up over that shift late in the the third.

Yep, one of Hagelins best shifts as a Penguin. Incredible shift by those guys. Rust and Hagelin are so damn fast. No time for the Philly defense to react. Great to see!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens are like that alcoholic neighbor. You know the one.

Who beats his wife, misses work and makes you and everyone else cover for him. Cheats on his taxes, drives 109 miles an hour when drunk. And nothing happens to him except that he wins the lottery.

You mean the Pens are Homer Simpson and the Flyers are Frank Grimes?

Reactions: ncm7772

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Malkin getting hurt might be the best thing that will happen to the Penguins this season, because that's the thing that has seemingly woken up Crosby.

I think Sid would have woken up eventually regardless but that injury definitely kick started the process.

It's good to see Sid doing it. Geno always does it when the tables are turned the other way. Bout time Sid got to return the favor.

I don't even care if he has nothing left by the playoffs. I'd rather he empty the tank to get us there than have the embarrassment of us possibly missing. Give it all you've got and see where that gets you. Worst comes to worst we get a nice long summer to recharge. But make the playoffs dammit. It would be a total embarrassment not to.

Reactions: EightyOne

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
As long as MM isn't a knee we'll be ok. Jarry is good enough that he won't lose us bunches of games. Hagelin will score sooner or later if he keeps playing like tonight. Great to see Sid leading from the front and Guentzel turning the corner. Once Malkin gets back, I think it's time to get Sid and Guentzel back together.

Sid now has 9 points in the last 4 games.

One thing I notice that we're NOT doing on the breakout is that our far side D are not supporting, but instead staying passive. The near side D will pass the puck up the boards to the forward near the blueline, who will then look for an outlet towards the center of the ice but we only have one guy there and the D is off in the opposite corner somewhere. Our guys have to start providing outlets up the center instead of waiting for the puck to turn the other way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm worried about Murray's injury because this is the Penguins, so you just know it'll be a worst case scenario thing.

Hopefully Jarry can handle the load until after Christmas, at the earliest.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, glad to see Sid starting to heat up. Two straight 3-point games. Hopefully he can continue to build off of this, because his start to the season was frustrating to watch.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Murray letting in goals to his glove side and then getting hurt seems to be a trend for him. I'm wondering how many more injuries he has to have before others besides myself start to become alarmed. I received a lot of criticism for my belief that we should have traded Murray, restocked the cupboard, and kept Flower. I'm not surprised by people's objections to that unpopular opinion, however it seems like people are dismissing the notion of Murray's penchant for injury. And frankly I'm not sure why. If he misses significant time, then that makes three of three years in the NHL that he has suffered injuries, and that's with his first season being a backup, second a platoon starter of sorts, and this third season only two months in. He has a very thin, awkward frame, and I genuinely question his ability to stay healthy for 65 regular season starts and playoffs.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Doesn’t matter about his frame with his concussions and most of his injuries are being hit illegally. There is injury prone and there is getting ran.

Reactions: ncm7772

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Murray letting in goals to his glove side and then getting hurt seems to be a trend for him. I'm wondering how many more injuries he has to have before others besides myself start to become alarmed. I received a lot of criticism for my belief that we should have traded Murray, restocked the cupboard, and kept Flower. I'm not surprised by people's objections to that unpopular opinion, however it seems like people are dismissing the notion of Murray's penchant for injury. And frankly I'm not sure why. If he misses significant time, then that makes three of three years in the NHL that he has suffered injuries, and that's with his first season being a backup, second a platoon starter of sorts, and this third season only two months in. He has a very thin, awkward frame, and I genuinely question his ability to stay healthy for 65 regular season starts and playoffs.

...fleury has played 4 games this season because of his 3rd concussion in about 2 years. I wouldn’t talk about keeping him in relation to Murray’s durability now. Fleury is worrying on a human level at this point, imo.

A few of Murray’s injuries have been from getting run and his thumb had nothing to do with his frame. Breaking it down from memory.

Got run and concussed before the playoffs by the Flyers. 2016.
Broke his thumb in that stupid World Cup. 2016 off season.
Injured from a penguin making contact with him. 2016-17 season.
Tore his hamstring in warm ups after looking like he pulled something against... the devils? 2017 right before the playoffs.
Got run by a flyer again. 2017-18 season.

So that’s, what, one injury on his own? He takes a disgusting amount of contact (Reaves?!) because the nhl is a joke. He’s also just on an injury prone team and people got to watch Fleury be weirdly healthy for a Pen for years.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I wish I didn't have to sleep through it

I wish Murray didn't get hurt

Glad Sid keeps his like 2+ PPG pace against the cross state rival

...if we can't change coaches to win a championship, we have to have injured goalies..so..on track for that three-peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I wish I didn't have to sleep through it

I wish Murray didn't get hurt

Glad Sid keeps his like 2+ PPG pace against the cross state rival

...if we can't change coaches to win a championship, we have to have injured goalies..so..on track for that three-peat

Evander Kane has yet to play a playoff game ;)

We could also trade for an ex Pen too.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
JR, please extend Rust and Horny RFN. I don't care if you have some weird personal rule about in season extensions. They're getting more expensive by the game.

Per Yohe, PH spoke between 2nd and 3rd period in the room, comes out and scores. Several players mentioned it to him [Yohe].

C'mon already, resign the man. He may not have an A, but the players follow him, and he delivers.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys, congrats on the win.

I love watching your games against the Flyers just as much as I like watching the Ducks play the Kings - state rivalry games FTW.

Anyways, it was great to get the feed up here last night and for those who missed the Murray injury, here is it again:

Looks like the back of his right knee hit the pipe when Jake slid into him - hope it's not too serious.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
smart stuff here. fleury is running things out in vegas, we really miss him

Reactions: EightyOne

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
+Last time I was on here I was harping on Phil for having yet another underwhelming regular season, he's been unbelievable since.
+Crosby is back, probably still finishes top 3 in scoring
+Jarry is a much more capable backup than Niemi, he gives us a chance
+Hornqvist is still an animal
-Flyers that much closer to firing Hakstol

That would have been such an idiotic and shortsighted move than I'm not sure even Shero would have made that mistake if he was still in charge.

While MAF was excellent in last years playoffs and made up for his horrendous playoff appearances over the years, he still can't be trusted imo. Obviously Murray has been put into an amazing position to succeed in his NHL career, but there is something to be said for the way he has handled it - all he's done is win. This is ignoring the fact that MAF has already been concussed this season and is 10 years older than Murray...

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Go figure. Stop watching the game after two uninspiring periods to get some work done that I had been put off only to miss the comeback.

- Good to see Sid getting hot, and no surprise that Rust and Horny scored in a game like this. Resign those two yesterday

- Agree that rowney looked good. Sheahan, not so much. Between the two of them we have an average bottom 6 center position

- Why do we have Reaves if the other team can run our goalie without reprocussions? Seriously, he's supposed to either stop this stuff or respond according to some on here. If he does neither I don't see why he's here.

- Hunwick looks good. Wasn't keen on his signing but he's changed my mind. We seem to do well with players coming from Toronto

- Jarry looks like a capable backup at this point. Even if Murray is ok, would like to see Jarry take a bit more load off of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad