Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Devils 2: Geno Prevents ColePens from Losing His ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
In 800+ games. So 1 goal every 8 games and how many goals given up/penalties taken in those 8 games? Like I said the "good with the bad" isn't worth it.
537pts

He's a plus 61

And 580pim (equals 290minors)

So...I dunno what site would pull up aggregate goals for or against regardless of plus-minus. Or how to tell which of his penalties resulted in goals against.

But...those numbers aren't that bad for a 15 year career? A single PIM per point? And as a dman so you get called for rinky dinky shit all the time in addition to real penalties.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This wasn't a great win. It's a win...but there are still a lot of winces.

This style of play is simply not sustainable. This is so similar to the team last year against the Isles. It's not going to work. We are looking at a round 1 exit, IF we make it. These guys are simply not good enough to ad lib or freestyle this.

It boggles my mind that early in the season, they remedied this and were very successful. Now...it's all dissolved.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
The concerning aspect to Letang's game last night wasn't the penalty for me, dumb as it was. It was the number of times he blindly turned the puck over. For all his warts, that's one that you generally never get. I'm worried about that aspect specifically. He has got to start taking care of the puck.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
537pts

He's a plus 61

And 580pim (equals 290minors)

So...I dunno what site would pull up aggregate goals for or against regardless of plus-minus. Or how to tell which of his penalties resulted in goals against.

But...those numbers aren't that bad for a 15 year career? A single PIM per point? And as a dman so you get called for rinky dinky shit all the time in addition to real penalties.

Those points is factoring a lot of secondary assist. I forget how many but somebody posted it before and it's a lot. Before the Devils game where he wasn't playing with Crosby as much.. in 11 games... 0 goals, 2 assist, and -10.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The concerning aspect to Letang's game last night wasn't the penalty for me, dumb as it was. It was the number of times he blindly turned the puck over. For all his warts, that's one that you generally never get. I'm worried about that aspect specifically. He has got to start taking care of the puck.

Him and Dumo both have been particularly egregious. I do not understand why we are not softening their minutes. Petts and Marino have been solid and can play slightly more difficult minutes.

And your JJ and Schultz hypothesis isn’t working because Sullivan is doing the exact opposite of what you and some of us assumed. He is not sheltering them. He’s using them as a 2nd 2nd pairing.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Am I the only one who is losing interest?

Happened to me last year at the same period as well.

Games are not entertaining. The board is ultra-negative. MLS and MLB have started/will start soon. Raptors are having a great season.

Yesterday, I barely paid attention to the game (ok, IMFC were playing a very important CCL game, but still).

Am I becoming old and boring? Is the team that uninteresting? The playoffs are around the corner and I am not even excited. What's wrong?

Still and will always love the Pens, but I dunno, my interest is fading... DURING THE STRETCH RUN! Is it a reflection of how spoiled we have been since 2005? In 02-03, I was researching prospects all the time and hoping we would land Fleury (WE DID!!!!). Yet, Dick f***ing Tarnstrom was the only bright spot on the team.

Glad we won, glad Geno saved us, but I am just "meh whatever". Trying to stay positive and believe we can make a run... but I do not care as much as I used to. If the Pens lose, I'll just watch more baseball... and half of that will be the Pirates who should be TERRIBLE!

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
In 800+ games. So 1 goal every 8 games and how many goals given up/penalties taken in those 8 games? Like I said the "good with the bad" isn't worth it.

Only 7 defenseman have scored more goals than Letang over the last 10 seasons. All of them played more games than him.

Letang has been on the ice for 269 more goals for than goals against inh is career.

I looked this up, wrote this post out, then I remembered who I was responding too and realized how much of my time I just wasted :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Couldn’t agree more...I said this after the CAR game...easy to see that they knew what lanes to get in and the shooting is predictable...it’s what happens when you continue to employ a jobber like Recchi

I'm pretty much coming to terms with the idea that I'll always hate our PP. Even when we have movement, most of the time it is token movement. Like bubble hockey where they only move around within their defined area. That just doesn't work to make the PKers think, switch off assignments, make mistakes.

Between that and forcing unnecessary passes through the box, it drives me up the wall. IMO, if you're passing into the box, that better be leading to an immediate shot from the slot or the far side.

Gotta give a shout to Sheary and Hornqvist. Those 2 were mad dogs on the puck. I can't believe i'm saying that about Sheary.
That's how Sheary was playing when he was at his best here. It's a very promising sign.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So I'm Miss Cleo now? No the signs have been there his whole career. People just blinded by an occasional goal or secondary assist.

This is for everyone:

For the 200th time...if you specifically only want to shit on a player over and over again, you will be removed from discussions. It is fine to discuss the game or player, but if u are just here to spotlight one and stir the pot.... you will be out.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Only 7 defenseman have scored more goals than Letang over the last 10 seasons. All of them played more games than him.

Letang has been on the ice for 269 more goals for than goals against inh is career.

I looked this up, wrote this post out, then I remembered who I was responding too and realized how much of my time I just wasted :laugh:

He's played with the best player in the world for 14 years... But Cole says I have to leave.

This is for everyone:

For the 200th time...if you specifically only want to shit on a player over and over again, you will be removed from discussions. It is fine to discuss the game or player, but if u are just here to spotlight one and stir the pot.... you will be out.

I thought we were discussing but I'll go..

giphy.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Games are not entertaining. The board is ultra-negative. MLS and MLB have started/will start soon. Raptors are having a great season.

Yesterday, I barely paid attention to the game (ok, IMFC were playing a very important CCL game, but still).

Am I becoming old and boring? Is the team that uninteresting? The playoffs are around the corner and I am not even excited. What's wrong?

Still and will always love the Pens, but I dunno, my interest is fading... DURING THE STRETCH RUN! Is it a reflection of how spoiled we have been since 2005? In 02-03, I was researching prospects all the time and hoping we would land Fleury (WE DID!!!!). Yet, Dick f***ing Tarnstrom was the only bright spot on the team.

Glad we won, glad Geno saved us, but I am just "meh whatever". Trying to stay positive and believe we can make a run... but I do not care as much as I used to. If the Pens lose, I'll just watch more baseball... and half of that will be the Pirates who should be TERRIBLE!

This team sucks now. They beat a bad NJ team after getting stomped with regularity and the flaws were still there. Crosby also isn't even close to healthy so we have little chance.

I too have adopted indifference towards this team.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Those points is factoring a lot of secondary assist. I forget how many but somebody posted it before and it's a lot. Before the Devils game where he wasn't playing with Crosby as much.. in 11 games... 0 goals, 2 assist, and -10.

Well what other measure of production do you want to go over?

Will there be anything except your opinion?

In my opinion I find goals, assists, and secondary all equal. You had a part of a scoring play. I wish there were a way to award assists on some plays when you DON'T even touch they puck but something else you did caused the goal to happen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Honestly, right now, I'd say the best course to happiness is just be "wait and see" and enjoy the process insomuch as we can. We've overcome a lot this season but no Guentzel and a half-healed Sid looks like a bridge too far. No expectations, no fears.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

You're not allowed to use stats from someones whole career. Or even the team they were playing on before the deadline. Only games played for the Pens and only games for this season. Sometimes only games from the previous week.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Honestly, right now, I'd say the best course to happiness is just be "wait and see" and enjoy the process insomuch as we can. We've overcome a lot this season but no Guentzel and a half-healed Sid looks like a bridge too far. No expectations, no fears.

Just hope the season gets postponed for a couple weeks and Jake is healthy right?

Reactions: ColePens and Peat

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

You're probably are not losing interest, sometimes you just need a break from time to time. It happens to me sometimes.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Man looking at the standings bums me out. Even with how bad they’ve played, this team is still only 4 points out of first. If they even played just ok over the past month or so, they’d have a pretty comfortable lead.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Couldn’t agree more...I said this after the CAR game...easy to see that they knew what lanes to get in and the shooting is predictable...it’s what happens when you continue to employ a jobber like Recchi

That's always been a major issue with this PP when it struggles. They go into these funks where they don't move. One guy will hold onto the puck, the other 4 will stand still, then he'll pass to another guy and the cycle repeats with 1 guy looking to make a play and 4 guys standing still.

PP success is often about movement on the PP, not necessarily the talent level of the 5 guys on the ice. The Pens seem to be guilty of not moving both the puck quickly and moving their feet to get in better position quickly way too often.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He’s implied several times he doesn’t believe he has to change his game...

Not sure if he ever will and it’s a huge catch 22 IMHO because they need him, but he hurts them a lot as well.

I’m sure you already heard whispers of this, but if they flame out and he doesn’t smarten up... he very well may get moved.

Sullivan I’ve heard is sick of it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017

Not sure if he ever will and it’s a huge catch 22 IMHO because they need him, but he hurts them a lot as well.

I’m sure you already heard whispers of this, but if they flame out and he doesn’t smarten up... he very well may get moved.

One can only hope. He is either too stubborn or too dumb to realize that his way of playing is not working for last 3-4 years. Before at least if he made a mistake, he had speed to catch up and make some sort of D play. Last several years it looks like he lost that speed by like 50%, and cant even get back to defend when he makes a stupid play. I find my self yelling at the screen SKATE whenever he is getting beat and left behind by the attacker. It wil never happen, but I wish he would finally learn how to actually play defense, and worry about defending his end of the ice, instead of trying to deake players, make blind highlight real passes (that go to no one or are turned over most of the time) and be more in the offensive zone than he is actually defending.

Years ago I said he should never have been a defenseman, as he was always more worried about points. He should have been a forward, and he probably would have been better at it than D.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
One can only hope. He is either too stubborn or too dumb to realize that his way of playing is not working for last 3-4 years. Before at least if he made a mistake, he had speed to catch up and make some sort of D play. Last several years it looks like he lost that speed by like 50%, and cant even get back to defend when he makes a stupid play. I find my self yelling at the screen SKATE whenever he is getting beat and left behind by the attacker. It wil never happen, but I wish he would finally learn how to actually play defense, and worry about defending his end of the ice, instead of trying to deake players, make blind highlight real passes (that go to no one or are turned over most of the time) and be more in the offensive zone than he is actually defending.

Years ago I said he should never have been a defenseman, as he was always more worried about points. He should have been a forward, and he probably would have been better at it than D.

Pens have won two cups with Letang and he will go down as the greatest Pens blueliner of all time and it won't even be close.

So I certainly wouldn't suggest he should have been a fwd and I wish this board would appreciate how many years it took to find a Letang like player...

I just do know that right now, there is a real tipping point with Letang and Sullivan... only Crosby and Malkin are untouchable on this team.

For his sake and the Pen's sake, he does need to reign in his play and make smarter decisions.

Most of his mistakes lately have been of his own doing... i.e. unforced errors... it can be done, he just has to WANT to do it. To play a little more conservative, and find the right balance.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Wonder what Sullivan’s feeling are on JJ who took an even worse penalty that actually led to a goal.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Pens have won two cups with Letang and he will go down as the greatest Pens blueliner of all time and it won't even be close.

So I certainly wouldn't suggest he should have been a fwd and I wish this board would appreciate how many years it took to find a Letang like player...

I just do know that right now, there is a real tipping point with Letang and Sullivan... only Crosby and Malkin are untouchable on this team.

For his sake and the Pen's sake, he does need to reign in his play and make smarter decisions.

Most of his mistakes lately have been of his own doing... i.e. unforced errors... it can be done, he just has to WANT to do it. To play a little more conservative, and find the right balance.

As you mentioned, he often said that his game doesnt need changing, and that he is playing fine. He said this even after having beyond horrendous playoffs last year. He will never change as he is a stubborn ass primadonna, only worried about looking like a male model and not actual defenseman. He doesnt hold himself accountable for his actions and mistakes. I dont remember a single time that he said, yeah I had horrible game/playoffs/season, I made bad decisions out there, I need to be smarter. For all the people piling on Geno, at least he has balls to say yeah I f***ed up and I cant do that, it is on me to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad