Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Bruins 3 - Zac EARNED-IT Reese and Casey DeSmith Steal the W

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Well, I’d hope to god when Simon and Hornqvist are healthy some of them get cut.

I just think this isn’t a temporary thing. It’s been nearly a month of our bottom liners chipping in a goal a game.

Exactly And, Even if it is temporary, the bottom six isn't reaaaally a problem NOW. The team needs to react to other deficiencies NOW.

That's a season in a nutshell. Putting out fires. Bottom six is not the biggest fire anymore. It might flare up, but, whatever, deal with it again when it does.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, that’s bizarre.

And Riikola is only being scratched because old man gave out three and five year contracts to a #5 and 6.

I’m curious when Sully pulls the Hunwick 30 game scratch on Oleksiak.
Tomorrow would be as good a time as any. Giving up way too many shots and on a back to back. That's reason enough for Sully to put Riikola back in. In theory anyhow.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Well, that’s bizarre.

And Riikola is only being scratched because old man gave out three and five year contracts to a #5 and 6.

I’m curious when Sully pulls the Hunwick 30 game scratch on Oleksiak.

Hopefully soon. He didn’t trust him to be a playoff player, so idk why he got that contract in the first place.

Reactions: PensandCaps

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Tomorrow would be as good a time as any. Giving up way too many shots and on a back to back. That's reason enough for Sully to put Riikola back in. In theory anyhow.

Ruhwedel gonna get the nod. That's right, we all forgot about his bump on a log ***.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Lets be real if Sullivan sat Johnson Sid would go off, and we all know who has more pull in the organization.

But why?

Sid basically was just helping out JMFJ's bank account, right? Johnson gonna get paid whether he sits or plays.

Reactions: Ryder71

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
Sid's back pass tape to tape to Rust in the 2nd period coming full speed into the offensive zone gave the Boston commentators a boner watching it in replay. One of his most impressive pass he ever did imo. Obviously Rust had to f*** it up, he probably coundn't process what just happened.

Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
DeSmith is a weird chameleon, he saves shots that NO-ONE could ever think are possible and let's weird basic shots in. "Goalies, am I right?". And Malkin should step his game up, yes I know, that pass awesome, but he has been lazy as f*** lately and was again.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
But why?

Sid basically was just helping out JMFJ's bank account, right? Johnson gonna get paid whether he sits or plays.
True, but if you're benching a guy thats making that much money for that many years, he has to be moved and what team is willing to take on that albatross contract? So either we eat his useless cap waste for 5 years or we move him (which would probably take a significant add on our side just to get someone to take him)

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Sid's back pass tape to tape to Rust in the 2nd period coming full speed into the offensive zone gave the Boston commentators a ***** watching it in replay. One of his most impressive pass he ever did imo. Obviously Rust had to **** it up, he probably coundn't process what just happened.

A king has princes, not other kings.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
True, but if you're benching a guy thats making that much money for that many years, he has to be moved and what team is willing to take on that albatross contract? So either we eat his useless cap waste for 5 years or we move him (which would probably take a significant add on our side just to get someone to take him)

Pens are super screwed. Even the Coyotes aren't taking bad Cap filler contracts off peoples' hands anymore.

Literal definition of an albatross contract. JR royally f***ed the Pens now and the future.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Second game I got to see in person this season. A few thoughts:
Positives:
-Even besides the points, ZAR had a great game. He was one of the most noticeable players all night, and I think that he has room to grow even more.
-CDS was incredible. Between his excellent play and our shared affinity for disc golf, he's quickly becoming a favorite player of mine.
-Geno, Kessel, Phil, Sid, and Letang all had their moments where they played like the stars which they are
-Rust was flying. Looking like his old self

Negatives:
-The Maata/Oleksiak pairing is just preposterously bad. Not only are they both flawed defensemen, but their flaws seemingly exacerbate each other rather than make up for each other like when we had Daley/Hunwick.
-Did Brassard play tonight?
-We got outshot heavily, and if not for highlight reel saves we lose that game 6 4.

Random observations:
1. Jack Johnson sucks at times but he brings physicality that we lack. He specifically isn't a huge problem, it's that our defense is overpaying too many flawed defenders, and he just happens to be one of them. But I'd take his skillset over Oleksiak or Maata's.
2. Pearson looks solid but I think people really underestimate how much of an impact player that Hagelin was. Production obviously wasn't there and contract situation wasn't good, but I do think short term that Hagelin made us a better team.

Reactions: EightyOne

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What the heck happened to Letang? I remember him assisting on Guentzel's game winner, but then suddenly he's injured? I don't remember a specific incident that lead to it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Also, Maatta needs benched. He’s an absolute joke out there.

That Olli-Rig pairing has been a joke since it was put together recently.
MP-JJ has actually held it's head above water for the most part. Chicago being the only real blemish.
Problem they have now is they haven't been working MP or Riiko into the PK so guess who stays in the lineup?

The MP-JJ pairing is +8 collectively.
MP +3
JJ +5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Maatta was doing on that entire sequence when Krejci scored off of Pastrnak's rebound. It's like he was doing an instructional video on what NOT to do the entire shift.

1-Face the wrong way? Check.
2-Fall down at the blueline, causing an odd man break? Check.
3-Loaf back and not pick up the trailing man to allow him to tap it into the empty net? Check.

Some of it is irrational, but I just can't stand him on the team at this point. Which makes me kind of sad because I was such a huge fan of his after his rookie season.

Reactions: Chuck Norris Trophy

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What the heck happened to Letang? I remember him assisting on Guentzel's game winner, but then suddenly he's injured? I don't remember a specific incident that lead to it.

He skated into a knelt over Bruin and hyper extended his left knee. Could be something not so serious to something really serious(ACL). Just have to wait and see.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He skated into a knelt over Bruin and hyper extended his left knee. Could be something not so serious to something really serious(ACL). Just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I read about it after I'd posted. I just couldn't remember seeing it happen. Did the camera not catch it or something? I had to (unfortunately) watch the Bruins feed with their two homer announcers.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
That Olli-Rig pairing has been a joke since it was put together recently.
MP-JJ has actually held it's head above water for the most part. Chicago being the only real blemish.
Problem they have now is they haven't been working MP or Riiko into the PK so guess who stays in the lineup?

The MP-JJ pairing is +8 collectively.
MP +3
JJ +5

Just to get the other pairs numbers in here over the same stretch:

Olli-Rig -2
Olli Even
Rig -2

Dumo-Tang +11
Dumo +8
Tang +3

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Didn't see the game. Hope Letang is ok. Don't actually think we're toast without him, but it will require a lot of star dominance to overcome his absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad