Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Bruins 3 - Zac EARNED-IT Reese and Casey DeSmith Steal the W

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Didn't see the game. Hope Letang is ok. Don't actually think we're toast without him, but it will require a lot of star dominance to overcome his absence.

Maybe it'll be something they can rally around.

Reactions: Pancakes

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Anywho, i believe alot of posters are zeroing in on the wrong crappy D out of the crappy trio.
Over the stretch since MP has been here.
Rig's the worst.
Olli's been pretty bad.
JJ is doing ok/just fine.

How i'd go about this with no Tanger:

Riiko becomes my PPQB and i slot him with Dumo.
Rig or Olli come out for Ruh(not likely Olli since he's in the pk rotation and MP hasn't been).
I want to see if the rest has served Ruh well cuz Rig is really, really bad with the puck in his own zone.
Like, JJ is significantly better at that part of defending lately which should tell you something.
I'd simply see what Ruh has post this break he's had and make Olli-Ruh the 3rd pair.
It could be disastrous but if Ruh is refreshed(when he's played well in the past), he can help move the puck in the DZ when it's on his stick.

ETA: And obviously play the collapse/'17 style.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Back vs Philly i think and he wasn't bad at all.
That's tough.

A guy like Chad Ruhwedel, is used to being scratched and then thrown in, he is used to that sort of thing and that's his career at this point.

But a guy like Juuso Riikola, he comes over to earn a regular spot, is scratched for long stretches and isn't in the AHL GETTING BETTER so when he does play, he's likely to stick and be better...

How do people sit on their f***ing asses and some how justify him being healthy scratched as a good thing or even the right thing?

9DpY5iu.gif

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Riikola won't be back. He's too damn nice.

Juuso Riikola is a good human being

"Last night, Steel City Collectibles had a public autograph signing with Juuso Riikola. There was easily over 100 people waiting in line to meet. Towards where the line started, there was a mother. She was standing towards the front. She didn’t go through the line yet and was just sort of standing there. After everyone else had gone through and meet Juuso, she goes up to Riikola and says that she has a young son who is autistic and wasn’t able to leave the car at that moment. She asked if there was any that Juuso could come out to see him in the car. Without ANY hesitation, Juuso got up, left the table, and went to the car outside in the cold with this mother to see her son. He spent a little time with him, signed an autograph, and took a picture with the boy. It was one of the single most genuinely kind and wonderful things I have EVER seen at any sporting event ever. Honestly, this needed to be shared. No hesitation on Riikola’s end."

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
On a positive note we looked good when it counted. Crosby got 2 points. Rust is looking to come back to form hopefully. Desmith is an animal. Murray coming back, Hornqvist. Schultz in a few months. We're going to make up a lot of points I feel like.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
On a positive note we looked good when it counted. Crosby got 2 points. Rust is looking to come back to form hopefully. Desmith is an animal. Murray coming back, Hornqvist. Schultz in a few months. We're going to make up a lot of points I feel like.

b8d28764bdf757276c152e39e163f605.jpg

That's right buddy, there will be a lot of wins coming.

And so many players returning to the line up.

The arena will even improve their 43% tainted food rating.

So many wins. And you'll have them all, buddy.

You just keep thinking of that, okay. So many wins. So many points....

preview.jpg

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I know we get a whipping boy every year and now it's Määttä, but seriously, be is so. f***ing. bad. Määttä+Brassard for Nugent-Hopkins.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Sorry OG, but I don't how you can watch Johnson and think he's been "just fine."

Also, this team is screwed if Letang is out for an extended period of time. Short-term, they can scrape together some wins since they've been doing that all season. Long-term, they're going to get blown out of the water.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If this game was Aston-Reese finally getting back on track from last year when he looked good, great, @ColePens can have his this one, Sully Jr's earned it. He was supposed to be a top 9 winger with at least 2nd line potential, so I mean, it was always there when he wasn't doing the team's best impersonation of a plug.

It's...just a shame that one young forward got to play through his crap to get to this point, with decent minutes thrown at him to accomplish that.

Reactions: ColePens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be honest, I was really surprised to see that ZAR had 7 points in 18 games this year. That's like...way better than what I expected from him, and I'm someone who definitely likes him :laugh:

ZAR's stat line in the last 9 or so games has been super impressive, just like a lot of the Penguins depth players. He's at 3 goals and 6 points in 9 games, with 19 shots and 42 hits (with 41 of those hits coming in the last 7 games). That's an excellent stat line, that's exactly what you want to see out of him. If he can continue to even be a .5 PPG players who is extremely physical and is a nuisance around the other team's net, that's a great asset for the Penguins in the top-9.

The most encouraging thing that I see with ZAR is that he no longer looks tentative like he did in training camp. Even when he was first called up, he wasn't playing nearly as physical as you want him to be. His bread and butter is playing like a hybrid of Kunitz and Hornqvist, but he was playing like Scott Wilson. He has really ramped up the physicality recently, and last night was him getting rewarded for him playing the right way recently.

With a bunch of the Penguins depth players playing well right now, it's an interesting thought for what the Penguins are going to do when everyone is healthy. Sheahan (4 points in his last 9 games), Grant (5 points in his last 10 games), Cullen (1 point in 2 games since coming back, 5 points in last 14 games total), ZAR (6 points in last 9 games) and Rust (5 points in last 7 games) are all playing extremely well. You probably only have a spot for 3 of those guys, so it's interesting to see what they do at forward once everyone is healthy. It becomes even more interesting of a thought when you look into if they acquire any forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
To be honest, I was really surprised to see that ZAR had 7 points in 18 games this year. That's like...way better than what I expected from him, and I'm someone who definitely likes him :laugh:

ZAR's stat line in the last 9 or so games has been super impressive, just like a lot of the Penguins depth players. He's at 3 goals and 6 points in 9 games, with 19 shots and 42 hits (with 41 of those hits coming in the last 7 games). That's an excellent stat line, that's exactly what you want to see out of him. If he can continue to even be a .5 PPG players who is extremely physical and is a nuisance around the other team's net, that's a great asset for the Penguins in the top-9.

The most encouraging thing that I see with ZAR is that he no longer looks tentative like he did in training camp. Even when he was first called up, he wasn't playing nearly as physical as you want him to be. His bread and butter is playing like a hybrid of Kunitz and Hornqvist, but he was playing like Scott Wilson. He has really ramped up the physicality recently, and last night was him getting rewarded for him playing the right way recently.

With a bunch of the Penguins depth players playing well right now, it's an interesting thought for what the Penguins are going to do when everyone is healthy. Sheahan (4 points in his last 9 games), Grant (5 points in his last 10 games), Cullen (1 point in 2 games since coming back, 5 points in last 14 games total), ZAR (6 points in last 9 games) and Rust (5 points in last 7 games) are all playing extremely well. You probably only have a spot for 3 of those guys, so it's interesting to see what they do at forward once everyone is healthy. It becomes even more interesting of a thought when you look into if they acquire any forwards.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
Aston-Reese Malkin Kessel
Pearson Brassard Hornqvist
Sheahan Cullen Simon
rotate Grant in on the 4th line

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel Crosby Rust
Aston-Reese Malkin Kessel
Pearson Brassard Hornqvist
Sheahan Cullen Simon
rotate Grant in on the 4th line

Swap Simon and Rust and I'd be a lot more intrigued with that lineup. I'm not a huge fan of the 3rd line either, Pearson and Hornqvist don't complement each other that well I think.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

I was thinking the same thing. He seemed vanilla and lacking confidence. It's almost like Sheary, where he just had a moment where he realized "hey, I can play in this league" and started playing the game that got him here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Letang being out will be brutal...I’m sure he’s out tonight but let’s hope it’s not more than a week because this D is already putrid even with him...the collapsing D mode has really dried up the offense off the rush and the NZ transition, that’s why Sully has every line trying to play like fourth line plug hockey...no wonder G is frustrated...it’ll be hard to reproduce that physicality and energy b2b against the bigger bodies in LA....finishing some breakaways would help (yes you Rust)...I’m lucky I have yet another Christmas party tonight and will miss most of the “excitement”...

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Schwarzenegger 52.6% 50 votes
Ford 36.8% 35 votes
Willis 20% 19 votes

Excellent top three 80s action heroes as voted by HFPens.

161 total votes.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
If this game was Aston-Reese finally getting back on track from last year when he looked good, great, @ColePens can have his this one, Sully Jr's earned it. He was supposed to be a top 9 winger with at least 2nd line potential, so I mean, it was always there when he wasn't doing the team's best impersonation of a plug.

It's...just a shame that one young forward got to play through his crap to get to this point, with decent minutes thrown at him to accomplish that.

The other one your alliding to had plenty of chances to show something. He didnt. Still hasnt.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I said it before and during the game, so I might as well say it after the game as well. Put Rust with Malkin. Rust is feeling it. Instead, Sully puts him with Crosby :shakehead

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad