Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 0 - iPad Supplants Phil as Team MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Since we first saw Sprong in Pittsburgh, my favorite thing about his game was how he was always aggressive taking the puck hard to the net. He doesn't look for the pass - he's going to dig in and take it to the net himself. His 2nd goal was a thing of beauty and the exact attitude we need right now. Huge game by the kid and hopefully he can build on it.

Jarry is just a better goalie this year than Murray. What a unique situation we have been in between the pipes the last couple years.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Since we first saw Sprong in Pittsburgh, my favorite thing about his game was how he was always aggressive taking the puck hard to the net. He doesn't look for the pass - he's going to dig in and take it to the net himself. His 2nd goal was a thing of beauty and the exact attitude we need right now. Huge game by the kid and hopefully he can build on it.

Jarry is just a better goalie this year than Murray. What a unique situation we have been in between the pipes the last couple years.

The thing with Murray and Jarry is that I don't care who starts or have a preference. I like both of them equally the same, but there is a faction of fans who want Jarry to unseat Murray for how he "wronged" MAF.

you guys did not see he came back and played?

Ya he came back. To be fair, he's hard to notice these days, and really isn't doing much.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Nice win. Maybe this team has some life. But a Boston Sports team looms. So, maybe too, they’ll just continue their whole “1 step forward and 2 steps back” thing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The thing with Murray and Jarry is that I don't care who starts or have a preference. I like both of them equally the same, but there is a faction of fans who want Jarry to unseat Murray for how he "wronged" MAF.

This situation isn't even really a situation right now. If anything, these two playing together will just drive both to be better. They are two very competitive guys, and there is a big enough net for both of them. If both prove capable, the situation will handle itself. The crazy thing is, Gustavsson is coming also, and I'm by no stretch a goalie expert, but many opinions I have heard have said Gustavsson has potential to be better than both.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Gee what a surprise. The captain plays like the captain and we win. The captain gets energized by having youthful exuberance and talent on his line. OMG what a shocker. The lines don't look like they were put together by the dude with the big goggles from Trailer Park Boys, and we win.

Now, let's sustain this. We have two wins out of three games. Jarry started both. The lines in the wins looked good, they looked horrific in the loss. This should not be that difficult to figure out moving forward.

Keep the first line together. Keep the fourth line together (at least until Rust returns). Figure out the other two lines as best we can. Go with the hot goaltender. The blueline is good enough.

Let's go!

Reactions: SirBrad

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This situation isn't even really a situation right now. If anything, these two playing together will just drive both to be better. They are two very competitive guys, and there is a big enough net for both of them. If both prove capable, the situation will handle itself. The crazy thing is, Gustavsson is coming also, and I'm by no stretch a goalie expert, but many opinions I have heard have said Gustavsson has potential to be better than both.

Ya I have no idea how to judge goalie prospects, never played the position or cared, but my unc and bro were goalies so I learned a few things from them.

I personally feel worried when Murray is in net right now and every shot has my ass tightening, whereas with Jarry, I just feel like the other team has to do something extraordinary to beat him.

Sullivan sees it to I'm sure, which is why I think Jarry will be their main goalie to try and help pull them out of this seesaw slump.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
The most important thing though was Sid looked engaged again. He did in the first period against Carolina but it turned to **** after that. 4 out of 6 periods is a start.

Kinda sad that one of Crosby's biggest strengths was will to win and the effort he'd put in and now we have to say things like "oh looks like Crosby is engaged at the moment" and "youthful exuberance gives some life back to Crosby."

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ya I have no idea how to judge goalie prospects, never played the position or cared, but my unc and bro were goalies so I learned a few things from them.

I personally feel worried when Murray is in net right now and every shot has my ass tightening, whereas with Jarry, I just feel like the other team has to do something extraordinary to beat him.

Sullivan sees it to I'm sure, which is why I think Jarry will be their main goalie to try and help pull them out of this seesaw slump.

I'm a huge Murray fan. I took a great pause though when he came out when asked if he could put on weight and he essentially said that he has tried everything he can to gain weight and he has been unsuccessful. It is highly unlikely that a goaltender who is 6'4 175 lbs can be a workhorse goaltender.

Jarry to me has the look of a goaltender who could turn into a perennial workhorse. The issue I have with Jarry is that he sometimes plays like Fleury where he is athletic just to be athletic where Murray is much more systematic in his position, which I like more. I do like how Jarry can play the puck though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kinda sad that one of Crosby's biggest strengths was will to win and the effort he'd put in and now we have to say things like "oh looks like Crosby is engaged at the moment" and "youthful exuberance gives some life back to Crosby."

He was killing it to start last season and then slumped hard until the kids line jolted him back.

Crosby is human, people need to start understanding that.

Reactions: ncm7772

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm a huge Murray fan. I took a great pause though when he came out when asked if he could put on weight and he essentially said that he has tried everything he can to gain weight and he has been unsuccessful. It is highly unlikely that a goaltender who is 6'4 175 lbs can be a workhorse goaltender.

Jarry to me has the look of a goaltender who could turn into a perennial workhorse. The issue I have with Jarry is that he sometimes plays like Fleury where he is athletic just to be athletic where Murray is much more systematic in his position, which I like more. I do like how Jarry can play the puck though.

Jarry feels like a hybrid of Fleury and Murray. Potentially could be the best out of all of our goalies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He was killing it to start last season and then slumped hard until the kids line jolted him back.

Crosby is human, people need to start understanding that.

Actually 100% correct. He went on that mini run and almost entered the top 3-4 scoring, too, after a slow start in the first 10 games. I forget what it was but it was ridiculous like 16 pts in just a handful of games or something. Some people forget he's human because the kid has been the spotlight of the league for how long? And he doesn't have one bad thing about him. It's insane. IN a world of social media, he's still squeaky clean. Not even a quote they can use against him. Dude is perfect and wins everything. Hard to believe he's human.

If I was overly nitpicking Sid's career, the only minor nitpick i could even come up with is that he's difficult to play with (linemates). It's not as easy as "anyone can play with 87!" That's the most nitpicky thing i could even think of. I do feel like it's easier to play w/ Geno than it is Sid.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
How could everyone on a random Internet message board know that Sprong should have been called up and a back-to-back championship organization couldn't see it?
Guy comes up, plays well. That's an indictment of the org? Had he played poorly, that would have been a plus for the org?

What??

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guy comes up, plays well. That's an indictment of the org? Had he played poorly, that would have been a plus for the org?

What??

I sort of see what Dinfire is saying. It was frustrating when Jake wasn't immediately up last year. It was equally frustrating watching this team struggle to score goals and Sprong sit there in the AHL firing off goals left/right. So yeah - if he came up and shit the bed, maybe the organization was right. But he didn't. He did exactly what all of us thought. In his first game he had like 6 shots when the team had 9 half way through the entire game. That's pretty much exactly why we were wanting him up.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Murray´s glove is his fundamental flaw. Fleury was mentally weak and also his play with puck caused a lot of problems. Now Jarry looks pretty well-rounded. Sure, he is not the biggest goalie but it doesn´t look like issue since he is pretty athletic.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I sort of see what Dinfire is saying. It was frustrating when Jake wasn't immediately up last year. It was equally frustrating watching this team struggle to score goals and Sprong sit there in the AHL firing off goals left/right. So yeah - if he came up and **** the bed, maybe the organization was right. But he didn't. He did exactly what all of us thought. In his first game he had like 6 shots when the team had 9 half way through the entire game. That's pretty much exactly why we were wanting him up.
Guy develops really well in WBS, comes up and shines. This is a success story (thus far). Bringing guys up too early is bad for team and bad for them. Much prefer this scenario.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guy develops really well in WBS, comes up and shines. This is a success story (thus far). Bringing guys up too early is bad for team and bad for them. Much prefer this scenario.

Yeah not buying it. You think he developed in 20 games? Watching camp/prospect camp - this was the player he was. Same as Guentzel. When they are down there waiting for a call up, it's not 15-20 games making the difference.

Example: Jarry. Jarry's numbers at first sucked ass in the AHL. Some guys just need that challenge of the next level to really engage and reach the next level. Some, you are right, need development. There are plenty of examples of that. I thought it was right originally to send Sprong back. It made sense. But this year- naah. I think you are crazy if you honestly believe Sprong from Game 1 to right now is a much different player.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
What a game from Sid.

And Sprong.

And Jarry.

Simon looked good.

This one makes JR's job tougher. After yesterday, you think they're toast. Watching today, seeing how fresh blood energized Sid, one wonders if a 3C and a LW for Geno could be the type of game changers Sprong and Simon were for Sid tonight.

EDIT: Exit question . . . if you like that Sid line and you like the idea of Phil with a 3C, what do you do with Horny? Does he become one of your trade chips? Horny and a defenseman to get your 3C and a winger better suited than Horny to play with Geno?

Yes, I've been on the trade Horny bandwagon for a long time.

Their just isn't a great fit with Horny on this team at even strength.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Jarry is just absorbing everything right now and making the kind of big saves Murray did last season that afforded the Pens a chance to find their legs.

Good call on playing the puck, because I've been saying that about Jarry for years, but he's not playing it as much as he usually does. Will be interesting to see how that goes, because he can help their transition game immensely with the way he handles the puck.

Actually 100% correct. He went on that mini run and almost entered the top 3-4 scoring, too, after a slow start in the first 10 games. I forget what it was but it was ridiculous like 16 pts in just a handful of games or something. Some people forget he's human because the kid has been the spotlight of the league for how long? And he doesn't have one bad thing about him. It's insane. IN a world of social media, he's still squeaky clean. Not even a quote they can use against him. Dude is perfect and wins everything. Hard to believe he's human.

If I was overly nitpicking Sid's career, the only minor nitpick i could even come up with is that he's difficult to play with (linemates). It's not as easy as "anyone can play with 87!" That's the most nitpicky thing i could even think of. I do feel like it's easier to play w/ Geno than it is Sid.

I don't think many people know what it's like to wake up with ill lookin bruises of colors you can't quite identify every morning, and that familiar ache where you know you aren't right and your body just wants a couple weeks to heal...

... and dealing with that every single morning for over eight months a year knowing you will be the biggest target on the ice every night.

That's tough to overcome when you have done all you can as an NHL player and just hit 30. It has to be fun again for him to will through that. It can't be easy waking up feeling that way every morning and knowing the road ahead is long and will grind him up before the playoffs if he isn't smart about it.

Manufacturing hunger for a champion like Crosby where he is at in his career now, must be incredibly difficult and none of us know what that's truly like.

That's why you see these young talented kids giving him a spark and help him have that kind of fun again. I'm sure that makes him forget about the pain and fatigue and trying to pace himself.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sometimes you can be too close to a problem to see the solution. To even the casual fan, Sprong + Sid was going to be a win. But within the organization, they nitpicked. They probably had meeting after meeting discussing all of the reasons why they wouldn't work together.

Most times in life, the solution to the problem is the most obvious and simplest answer. It probably came down the people deep inside the organization being afraid to sound as smart as the most casual fan.

ignorance is bliss

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sometimes you can be too close to a problem to see the solution. To even the casual fan, Sprong + Sid was going to be a win. But within the organization, they nitpicked. They probably had meeting after meeting discussing all of the reasons why they wouldn't work together.

Most times in life, the solution to the problem is the most obvious and simplest answer. It probably came down the people deep inside the organization being afraid to sound as smart as the most casual fan.

ignorance is bliss

Angry Kev has really irrational thoughts based off anger and frustration. Here we have happy Kev who just put a very thoughtful and solid perspective out there that i completely agree with.

Reactions: Kip Drordy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad